Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Anyone have a Canon digital SLR

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have a Canon digital SLR
Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys Im thinking of getting a Canon Rebel XSi, and wonering if anyone else has this camera? How are the action shots? My boys do a lot of soccer and baseball. Also how do these cameras work at the track? My little point and shoot was a waste of time at pinks all out LOL. Thanks

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A word of advice when it comes to dslrs. Like cars you need to have a plan and pinpoint what you want to do because it gets expensive fast.

First find out you will be shooting which is already done

Next spend the majority of your money on len(es)

Then spend the rest on a camera body.

To answer your question, yes the XSI body is a great camera but won't do you any good if you are shooting with bad lenses. Just remember the camera is only one part of the equation and you are better of with quality lenses with a older camera body rather than an xsi body with their packaged lenses.

Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, that is what I have heard. The zoom lens Im looking at is this one.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8758114&type=product&id=1205245979459
What do you think?

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

iron281
¯
Member # 80

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron281  Ford pictures for iron281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
essasin nailed it in terms of what a first time SLR buyer should know. The lenses are the reason you buy a D-SLR. And with ever more resolution and the advent of full frame sensors in cameras means the quality of the lens does matter. Probably more critical now than it ever was with film.

I had the 5D, recently sold, and ordered the 5D Mark II. So I know a little about Canon. I would easily recommend the XSi 450D BODY ONLY, and the Canon 70-200 f4.0. A far better lens than the 55-250 listed. For less than $1200, you have a real excellent combo to start with.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542178-REG/Canon_2757B001_EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183198-USA/Canon_2578A002_70_200mm_f_4_0L_USM_Autofocus.html

Posts: 385 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by iron281:
essasin nailed it in terms of what a first time SLR buyer should know. The lenses are the reason you buy a D-SLR. And with ever more resolution and the advent of full frame sensors in cameras means the quality of the lens does matter. Probably more critical now than it ever was with film.

I had the 5D, recently sold, and ordered the 5D Mark II. So I know a little about Canon. I would easily recommend the XSi 450D BODY ONLY, and the Canon 70-200 f4.0. A far better lens than the 55-250 listed. For less than $1200, you have a real excellent combo to start with.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542178-REG/Canon_2757B001_EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183198-USA/Canon_2578A002_70_200mm_f_4_0L_USM_Autofocus.html

Thank you very much. Do you buy from places like this? I got to thinking it might not be real canon stuff, or some thing, because of the lower price. Thanks!

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to buy used off the photography forums the two main ones are

photography-on-the.net which is prob the biggest canon photography forum

fredmiranda is also an excellent photog forum

For the most part there is no junk on these forums

If you want to buy retail I would suggest B&H photo and Beach Camera.

I've been drooling over 5dmkII, I'd like to know what you think about it when you get it.

If you decide to get the 70-200 f/4L. I upgraded to the 2.8 IS USM version and selling mine. Mine is in excellent condition, mint element and tack sharp comes with box, pouch, both caps, and hood(hood has some marks tho) and b+w uv filter which cost me over 50 bucks. I'm asking 500 bucks if you are interested. But if you are not picky I've seen them go for as low as 450-475 without a filter, box, and hood or a combination of the three.

Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

The lady at Ritz told me that the image stabilizer is the way to go on a zoom lens. Unless you have a tripod. Is that why you upgraded?
I just registered on photograpy on the net right before I read your post. Thanks! [patriot]

[ November 16, 2008, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Black88GT ]

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by Black88GT:
The lady at Ritz told me that the image stabilizer is the way to go on a zoom lens. Unless you have a tripod. Is that why you upgraded?
I just registered on photograpy on the net right before I read your post. Thanks! [patriot]

Good! There is TONS of info on that board and if you go to fred miranda they have an excellent review section of all the lenses and accessories.

IS is definitely useful. I got it more for the F/2.8 than the IS. But her information is not exactly correct. Imagine Stabilizer is not a replacement for tripod and it does not exactly mean it will stabilize up to a certain point. I try my best to explain...

IS gives you two F stops. So say you are shooting between 1/60, 1/125, and 1/250. (Just bare with me for now.) You pick up your camera and you are trying to shoot at 1/250 but noticed it was shaky at 1/125 but not at 1/60. With IS you can shoot at 1/60 and have an image as sharp as if you shot at 1/250th.

I know it's a confusing, it's a lot more easier if you see in person with camera and have an understanding of aperture and shutter speed. Basically, you should not buy a zoom lens because it has IS. Buy sharpest quality lens you can buy then look for the IS. Shoot with a tripod whenever you can, it's one of those things that are neglected and it's effect are not seen until you see the shot.

If I confused you or didn't explain things clearly ask away, I can talk about photog all day and not get tired of it.

[ November 16, 2008, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: essasin ]

FoX GT
¯
Member # 4587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoX GT  Ford pictures for FoX GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you really dont need a tripod unless its too low of light for your lens, you're doing a panorma and stitching frames together, or you yourself is trying to get in the picture. Digital killed the need for a tripod.

Don't get me wrong, I do own a Gitzo tripod but it stays in the closet more than I take it out shooting.

For sports/drag racing I use a 70-200 2.8. It's a great length for that.

-

-

-

[ November 16, 2008, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: FoX GT ]

--------------------
- AED -
03 Cobra 10th anni 3.4 Whipple 9.47@141
2012 Mustang GT 10.98@125
2015 Mustang GT

Bring what you got and hope its enough!

iron281
¯
Member # 80

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron281  Ford pictures for iron281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Thank you very much. Do you buy from places like this? I got to thinking it might not be real canon stuff, or some thing, because of the lower price. Thanks!
Yes, I've literally spent thousands at B&H over the years. Cameras, lenses, printers, ink, film- LOTS of film- I shot weddings for 6 years, mostly on film. B&H is very reputable, one of the best. Their prices are always reliably low, no goofy stuff ever. You won't pay sales tax either, and on big purchases it obviously helps, and more than offsets shipping costs. Speaking to the other reply, the faster f2.8 lenses are always more desirable, but are also a lot more expensive. Image stabilization is very good, but also brings the cost up. Regardless, a photographer should always be prepared to use a tripod or monopod whenever possible, it is the best insurance for tack sharp shots.
Posts: 385 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Well, I dont know if Im screwed or should be happy, but my wife picked up the combo I mentiond above for me today. I have mixed feelings, since I hear what you guys are saying, but Im no pro, so im feeling comfortable being in the middle of the road. Im lucky to have her. [patriot]

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Well, I dont know if Im screwed or should be happy, but my wife picked up the combo I mentiond above for me today. I have mixed feelings, since I hear what you guys are saying, but Im no pro, so im feeling comfortable being in the middle of the road. Im lucky to have her. [patriot]

Lucky guy! Enjoy shooting with what you have and learn to shoot with it. As your photog skills get better you can upgrade with your skills and needs.
Loren
¯
Member # 925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loren  Ford pictures for Loren    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you say "point and shoot", what are we talking about? $100 target kodak camera, $300 Sony T300 camera? There are a lot of average digital cameras out there that do a good job over a broad range. There are some great "all in one cameras" on the market that are capable of some very impressive photos. Some are capable of using filters, wide angle lenses, etc which give you the ability to go further than the average point and shoot camera.

Some things that you might want to consider thinking about: how bulky is the setup, how heavy is it, do you feel comfortable leaving it in your car, would you feel comfortable letting your kids/wife/friends use it etc (they will ask!), where will the technology be in a few years. What will be the end result? Online photos, large prints, 3x5", Christmas cards, life size prints of sports figures? The list goes on. There are lots of DSLR setups on craigslist and ebay that have the same story...bought it but it was just too much hassle.

I was also looking at the DSLR cameras and had some time with a EOS and decided that I did not want the camera to dictate where I went with it. Carrying around a big bag with a couple of lenses, filters, an extra batter/grip, and a tripod got to be a lot of work. It came down to being more of a hassle to take the camera therefore it wasn't what I needed for my situation.

I ended up picking up an Canon S5IS that has turned out to be a great camera. If you spend the time to really learn whichever camera you choose, that is really what makes a difference. Just my $.02.

--------------------
2012 Raptor Supercrew
1993 Mustang GT
1985 Vanagon GL

Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
quote:

Lucky guy! Enjoy shooting with what you have and learn to shoot with it. As your photog skills get better you can upgrade with your skills and needs.
Thank you, But can you break down the 2.8 for me? Would my lens be able to take a picture like that of Jeffs car?

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by Loren:
When you say "point and shoot", what are we talking about? $100 target kodak camera, $300 Sony T300 camera? There are a lot of average digital cameras out there that do a good job over a broad range. There are some great "all in one cameras" on the market that are capable of some very impressive photos. Some are capable of using filters, wide angle lenses, etc which give you the ability to go further than the average point and shoot camera.

Some things that you might want to consider thinking about: how bulky is the setup, how heavy is it, do you feel comfortable leaving it in your car, would you feel comfortable letting your kids/wife/friends use it etc (they will ask!), where will the technology be in a few years. What will be the end result? Online photos, large prints, 3x5", Christmas cards, life size prints of sports figures? The list goes on. There are lots of DSLR setups on craigslist and ebay that have the same story...bought it but it was just too much hassle.

I was also looking at the DSLR cameras and had some time with a EOS and decided that I did not want the camera to dictate where I went with it. Carrying around a big bag with a couple of lenses, filters, an extra batter/grip, and a tripod got to be a lot of work. It came down to being more of a hassle to take the camera therefore it wasn't what I needed for my situation.

I ended up picking up an Canon S5IS that has turned out to be a great camera. If you spend the time to really learn whichever camera you choose, that is really what makes a difference. Just my $.02.

Loren, Whats up man! I am really looking for action shots. My wife had a canon SD630, and is upgrading through warranty. So this camera (the slr) will only really be for sporting events. The fricking thing takes HUGE pics, and I cant seem to lower it any. You still have that old Sony camera?

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

FoX GT
¯
Member # 4587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoX GT  Ford pictures for FoX GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
quote:

Thank you, But can you break down the 2.8 for me? Would my lens be able to take a picture like that of Jeffs car?
2.8 is the aperture. When everyone is talking about a 2.8 lens they are the professional lenses that can stay at a continous 2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range. On other lenses you will see 4-6.5 or something like that, saying the largest aperture it will go is between 4-6.5 depending on how far out the zoom is. The aperture is how big the hole is that lets in light.

The picture of Jeff's car with the wheels up was taken on the tree stand handheld and the specs were aperture of f/ 5.6, the shutter speed was 1/3200 of a second, the zoom was 86mm and ISO (sensitivity to light) was 200. This was taken with a Nikon D300 and 70-200VR lens. You can take the same picture, its more about the person behind the camera.

--------------------
- AED -
03 Cobra 10th anni 3.4 Whipple 9.47@141
2012 Mustang GT 10.98@125
2015 Mustang GT

Bring what you got and hope its enough!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com