Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Anyone have their Mustangs tuned to e85? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anyone have their Mustangs tuned to e85?
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a station that is selling E85 in Hayward and since I'm going to get my car tuned was thinking that this might not be bad idea. I've been reading google search links but was wondering if anyone actually has done it and have opinions about it.
TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats E85.... [Confused] fuel?

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TR1:
whats E85.... [Confused] fuel?

wiki

Mostly made of corn and more environmentally friendly. But most importantly it is equivalent to 110 octane gas and the national avg price as of today is 2.39 a gallon.

8stang8
¯
Member # 8082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8stang8  Ford pictures for 8stang8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive heard bout E85 for days... one thing i ddnt know is that its similar to 110 [Eek!] .

How much is a gal of E85???

--------------------
Fox body coupe: 347, TKO, 3.73s, 9.93 @ 143

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by 8stang8:
Ive heard bout E85 for days... one thing i ddnt know is that its similar to 110 [Eek!] .

How much is a gal of E85???

Pure ethanol is equivalent to 110 octane. The ethanol blend with gasoline which usually is used in the winter is still equivalent to 100 octane at the least from the pump. That's what got me. It is significantly cheaper than 91 pump gas.
WEST_BAY$_FINE$T_COUPE
¯
Member # 8169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WEST_BAY$_FINE$T_COUPE  Ford pictures for WEST_BAY$_FINE$T_COUPE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DAMN I DONT KNOW IF THATS A GOOD IDEA BRO 110 OCTANE IN YOUR TANK ALL THE TIME [Confused] BUT HOW MUCH IS A GALLON?

--------------------
90COUPE
02SALEEN
90HTACKBACK (SOLD)
93 HATCHBACK (SOLD)

**I RIDE HYPHY SHIT**

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by **I TAKE THE POPO'S ON ONE**:
DAMN I DONT KNOW IF THATS A GOOD IDEA BRO 110 OCTANE IN YOUR TANK ALL THE TIME [Confused] BUT HOW MUCH IS A GALLON?

There is a chevron in Hayward on 525 West A Street that has it. Not sure how much it costs in the area but just for an idea of the pricing in Tulare on 10/16 e85 ethanol was $2.59 and a gallon of regular was $3.32.

It's equivalent to 100-110 octane but does not have the same properties as 110 octane gasoline. The biggest difference being gasoline is made of crude oil and e85 ethanol is made of corn.

A lot of the new GMC trucks can run e85 fuel and regular pump gas fuel, but not mixed together. I don't know much but from what I read so far it seems like it wouldn't be a problem to the car as long as its tuned to e85.

What I was thinking and what a lot of people do is they get an sct chip with 4 banks and get a different tune for e85 and gasoline.

[ November 03, 2008, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: essasin ]

8stang8
¯
Member # 8082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8stang8  Ford pictures for 8stang8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i understand one is made from crude oil and the other cooking oil ... between 110 and e85 which one runs leaner/richer when you talk about re-tune???

--------------------
Fox body coupe: 347, TKO, 3.73s, 9.93 @ 143

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
quote:

There is a chevron in Hayward on 525 West A Street that has it. Not sure how much it costs in the area but just for an idea of the pricing in Tulare on 10/16 e85 ethanol was $2.59 and a gallon of regular was $3.32.

It's equivalent to 100-110 octane but does not have the same properties as 110 octane gasoline. Just to get an idea gasoline is made of crude oil and e85 ethanol is made of corn.

A lot of the new GMC trucks can run e85 fuel and regular pump gas fuel, but not mixed together. I don't know much but from what I read so far it seems like it wouldn't be a problem to the car as long as its tuned to e85.

What I was thinking and what a lot of people do is they get an sct chip with 4 banks and get a different tune for e85 and gasoline.

well if your running e85 all the time then you are going to have to stop at gas stations that have e85 all the time..i dont think its worth it..i like being able to stop at any gas station to fill up..i mean what if you go out of town and dont know where they have e85 then what?

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by jaejae:
quote:
quote:

It's equivalent to 100-110 octane but does not have the same properties as 110 octane gasoline. Just to get an idea gasoline is made of crude oil and e85 ethanol is made of corn.

well if your running e85 all the time then you are going to have to stop at gas stations that have e85 all the time..i dont think its worth it..i like being able to stop at any gas station to fill up..i mean what if you go out of town and dont know where they have e85 then what?
We are not limited to running only e85. To run e85 we gotta get tuned for it. Since it's being tuned, we could get an sct 4 bank chip which a lot of tuners use anyways, and get a tune for e85 and gasoline. If you are caught in the situation where only gasoline is available all we have to do is switch to the gasoline tune.
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by 8stang8:
i understand one is made from crude oil and the other cooking oil ... between 110 and e85 which one runs leaner/richer when you talk about re-tune???

Yup you are right. From what I have read e85 from the pump ideally runs richer than gas. I think the percentage was 27% richer. I don't know the exact specifics just yet. But, I do know that it will burn faster than gas.
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
E85=

85% ethonal By product of fermenting corn into alchol
15% gasoline

Eric

Sorry for the spelling i am tired.

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by GOT 50:
E85=

85% ethonal By product of fermenting corn into alchol
15% gasoline

Eric

Sorry for the spelling i am tired.

And in the winter they run 70/30. If I remember correctly it was related to the cold and car starting problems. Needed more gasoline to start things up.
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

We are not limited to running only e85. To run e85 we gotta get tuned for it. Since it's being tuned, we could get an sct 4 bank chip which a lot of tuners use anyways, and get a tune for e85 and gasoline. If you are caught in the situation where only gasoline is available all we have to do is switch to the gasoline tune.
in that case i dnt see a reason not to get it..lol

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

in that case i dnt see a reason not to get it..lol
lol. there are reasons. I still don't know much about it so I was hoping that someone here already did all the work and research so I don't have to do it. But there is a debate about e85's corrosive properties. Some say it does but those have not used it but there are a number who have used it on their older cars and have not had a problem with it. Supposedly this is not a concern for new cars. I am still a noob about this stuff, but I'm glad to share any info that I know.
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go to turbo mustangs.com General tech has a huge foprum about fun with boost and E85. Gives tune up reuirments reuire25% + more fuel ect. See if I can dig it up.
Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
go to turbo mustangs.com General tech has a huge foprum about fun with boost and E85. Gives tune up reuirments reuire25% + more fuel ect. See if I can dig it up.

That's what I have been looking for thanks! I'll look for it this week.
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
quote:

That's what I have been looking for thanks! I'll look for it this week.
I think I found it is it this

1000rwhp with $2 fuel? E85 is pretty cool stuff

03gtPONY
¯
Member # 5337

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03gtPONY  Ford pictures for 03gtPONY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do your research before E85? Its not a simple re tune for you ecu. You will have to get their DOT approved E85 device to convert the E85 to work on most vehicles. Then you might/may have to change to bigger injectors. I believe that a lower running temp spark plug is necessary. Now, gas mileage is affected. You will definately gain horsepower, but gas mileage will suffer the most. Is it cost effective to change to E85 even though its cheaper, no not really, but if you want to believe the hype of E85 please try it and let us know how much more money you are in the whole at the gas pumps than before.

--------------------
*Sleeper GT* nuff said

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To elaborate what was stated above;

If you plan on making big power with E85 plan on doubling the fuel system you would spec out for a given setup, which would normally be running regular 110 octane fuel.

E85 is not a bad thing by any means, but if you set up your hot rod to run on E85, don't plan on running anything else.

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't want to be a party pooper...
I was talking to a friend in south america. His comments were something like this: selfish americans... The corn it takes for one tank of gas can feed a family in south america for one month. He said people don't know it or don't care. Wasting resources while other people are starving. [Confused]
He opened my eyes a little bit.

Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by svt97:
I don't want to be a party pooper...
I was talking to a friend in south america. His comments were something like this: selfish americans... The corn it takes for one tank of gas can feed a family in south america for one month. He said people don't know it or don't care. Wasting resources while other people are starving. [Confused]
He opened my eyes a little bit.

this is one of the biggest problems with e85. framers are selling the corn to places like cargill. not to farmers for feed or people for food. this driveing up the price of food..
2nd there have been studys about e85 in 2storke motors. they say when it mixes with the oil it can turn into a gummy sludge. the sludge gets in everything and clogs it up. [patriot]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I saw something on TLC about mechanics having to clean up the mess. Lots of tune-ups. Sooner than regular gas. Clogged injectors and what not.

I can't find anything to prove or disprove my friends claim that e85 is taking food out of peoples mouths.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Quite a few people run it in their race cars in circle track. They have to almost double the size of their jets and will burn twice the fuel in a night so because its cheaper is pointless when your burning more every mile. It will also eat up your stock fuel system from what I've been told so you need to upgrade all the rubber lines and the pump to keep up with the demand.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtowned  Ford pictures for gtowned    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so in a nutshell spend 1/2 at the pumps and double everything else [patriot]

--------------------
Taking terminators off the road one at a time...

Posts: 1106 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com