Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Got my new double din deck in my `97 today

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Got my new double din deck in my `97 today
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
before (how it was when I got the car)
 -

after [Big Grin]

-

-

-
GPS's
 -

-
The mic for the bluetooth / voice commands stuff
 -
sirius + gps antenna's on a magnetic pad

I had to use the sawzall and my dremel on the dash to get it in, but it's so worth it 8)

Still waiting on more vinyl dye, so I just have to live with the finish being off a bit until I can dye the dash piece, I retained the factory snap fittings on the top and sides so it's trivial to pop it out to dye it, then replace later.

I have an `04 center console and dash bezel to make this work, I also had to sawzall + dremal out the old mounting screw tabs in the dash and a bar along the bottom to make this fit, all in all took me about 3-4 hours to get it in right. It will look a lot better once I dye the dash bezel but I took the pics today so figured I'd throw them up [Smile]

I have pics of during the install also if anyone is interested in what I had to cut/mod to make it fit.

[ November 02, 2008, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if u done it urself very clean install.

[dance]

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
haha of course I did it myself, I'm too poor to pay anyone to work on any of my cars [Big Grin]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did u use a new edge dash?

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

no, just the hvac bezel piece, the part that is lighter charcoal/gray in the pics that I need to dye black still

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks great Kev! [patriot]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
very nice [patriot]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
chevyeatr
¯
Member # 7603

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chevyeatr  Ford pictures for chevyeatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that looks clean i have the same setup on my car and i have a pioneer unit as well with some slap.

--------------------
iLliCiT FoRdS

Posts: 936 | From: caliFORDnia | Registered: Apr 2007  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's koo man. I didn't kno those were straight bolt ins. Might have 2 look into it. So the buttons under the double din arent functional?

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How well does your satellite antenna work being on the inside of the car?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by RioredGT:
How well does your satellite antenna work being on the inside of the car?

you can see with the car parked in my driveway in the picture I put up that the GPS accuracy is "high".

the sirius works fine too, I get drop offs under overpasses and in areas with trees blocking my southern exposure, but it's no better or worse than the sirius in my truck that has the antenna on the roof.

and yeah, the buttons on the bottom of the double din bezel are non-functional, though I'm looking for a wiring schematic on them to make them do things for me, like I want the defrost button to be a manual override for my engine fan, and I'd like the light for it to come on when the fan is running. Maybe use the traction off button for arming the nitrous later [Wink]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
That's koo man. I didn't kno those were straight bolt ins. Might have 2 look into it. So the buttons under the double din arent functional?

unfortunately it's not exactly a bolt in, I got to sawzall and dremel parts of the dash off [Smile]

-

you can see the bar along the bottom that the buttons are hitting, I trimmed that back with the dremal.

And you can also see the posts that stick out up above where the old dash bezel bolted to, those I sawzalled completely smooth to the sides.

-

-

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can i have your od bezil; [Big Grin]
Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That looks badass!

i am putting one of those in my Fastback [Smile]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
can i have your od bezil; [Big Grin]

I've got 2 of the older style ones I'd love to sell, one is in the first pic, I got vents for it but the bezel still has a broken clip, looks fine when in the car though. The other one I've got is perfect, came out of the `95 GT I parted out recently.

send me a pm if you want one.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did the new bezel fit into the old tabs ok? Looks good. You can always paint the bezel too.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
drop92
PITUDO
RACING 415
Member # 1323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drop92  Ford pictures for drop92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
radio looks good how accurate is the bluetooth on that?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

bluetooth works great.

and yes the `04 bezel clipped into the top and side tabs on the dash like the stock one.

I'm actually dyeing the bezel this weekend, just didn't have any dye when I was getting it together, pulling the bezel to dye it is really trivial because of how it clips in like a stock one.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com