Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Placing a lein on a vehicle + ?'s

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Placing a lein on a vehicle + ?'s
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think we had a topic similar a while back, but I have another question to add. Ok I let a friend use my garage to fix a guys Harley. Well it started that the guy stiffed my friend so initially I was holding onto the bike for him until he gets his cash. I informed the dude, I will charge him storage fees of X amount per month starting on a certain day (and I was gracious on the start period by giving him like 2months). Well it is now 1 year later and the dude has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth. But I have found that he owes money to a bank on the motorcycle. I want to go ahead and give it back but was wondering can I charge the bank the storage fee? Or require it be paid prior to giving them the bike back? I am not really tripping real hard like taking them to court and all that jazz. More curious than anything. It's a nice bike too, but I am not really into Harleys.

Input appreciated.

JOEFOX87
¯
Member # 8331

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOEFOX87  Ford pictures for JOEFOX87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ha, forget all that court fee or other stuff, sell for parts on Ebay and get your money back. or change vins and sell that bitch. [burnout]
Posts: 824 | From: Union City, California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not looking for any kind of court action. Just curious if I have any ground to stand on easily to help my friend re-coup his money. I am all good with pushing it onto the curb and letting whatever happen to it. [patriot]
JOEFOX87
¯
Member # 8331

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOEFOX87  Ford pictures for JOEFOX87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you ever decide to get rid of it, you can push it to my curb [worship]

or I can go to your curb and get it. [patriot]

but seriously, talking to the lien company is asking for trouble I bet that they want it back to sell it to recoup their money back and don't care about your friends or yours.

86- 50
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 4723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86- 50  Ford pictures for 86- 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you put a lien on it, you would then send lien papers to all interested party's (owner, finance company) and on the papers you tell them how much storage fees a day your charging, its up to you what you want to charge, And then i believe the finance company has 30 days to come get and if they don't its yours free and clear.
Put it this way, if he had got it towed say for not having licence, the finance company would have to pay the tow yard what the tow yard charged, whats the difference.

--------------------
My baby:88gt 347 stroker

RIP MATT, Gone but never forgotten

TEAM PLATINUM

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
I think we had a topic similar a while back, but I have another question to add. Ok I let a friend use my garage to fix a guys Harley. Well it started that the guy stiffed my friend so initially I was holding onto the bike for him until he gets his cash. I informed the dude, I will charge him storage fees of X amount per month starting on a certain day (and I was gracious on the start period by giving him like 2months). Well it is now 1 year later and the dude has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth. But I have found that he owes money to a bank on the motorcycle. I want to go ahead and give it back but was wondering can I charge the bank the storage fee? Or require it be paid prior to giving them the bike back? I am not really tripping real hard like taking them to court and all that jazz. More curious than anything. It's a nice bike too, but I am not really into Harleys.

Input appreciated.

What kind of harley is it? I might buy it off you

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

03gtPONY
¯
Member # 5337

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03gtPONY  Ford pictures for 03gtPONY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
garage as in a garage at your house???? if it is then you cant be compensated for anything. you are not a business, but if you are you would have to have papers acknowledging that the customer knew what he was getting into. As the deal with your friend, thats what small claims court is for.

--------------------
*Sleeper GT* nuff said

fr5.0
¯
Member # 8652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fr5.0  Ford pictures for fr5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so basically you have a stolen bike in your garage???? cuz i woulda called it in if i knew i wasnt getting my shit back, know what i mean!!!

--------------------
MAGA
TRUMP TRAIN!!!!

Posts: 2913 | From: sacramento | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by fr5.0:
so basically you have a stolen bike in your garage???? cuz i woulda called it in if i knew i wasnt getting my shit back, know what i mean!!!

Yea I am not a business, thats why I am thinking it is probably not worth the hassle. I was just curious, and wanted to help my friend get his cash. As for the dude, he basically dropped off the face of the planet.

Ebay, it is not mine to sell. I dont want to get mixed up in all that either.

[ September 24, 2008, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Exactly. If I were you Nate I would call your friend and have the bike removed asap. You have NO LEGAL right to this bike and NO lein company in the world would take that in. Im sure its up for repo as well and its in your possesion which is another legal matter in itself. And what sucks is if someone did call it in stolen YOU would be the one with the stolen property. Call your friend tell him to remove it and take the loss.
Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

Yea I am not a business, thats why I am thinking it is probably not worth the hassle.
Being that you nor your friend are a business and most like aren't part of the BAR you cannot be compensated for services whether it be money or barter of any kind.
Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAss Motorsports:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

Yea I am not a business, thats why I am thinking it is probably not worth the hassle.
Being that you nor your friend are a business and most like aren't part of the BAR you cannot be compensated for services whether it be money or barter of any kind.
Yea I am pretty much content with pushing on the curb or down the street. I was just curious.
JOEFOX87
¯
Member # 8331

ok, when you want me to come get it?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com