Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Anyone have their Class A license?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have their Class A license?
mustangdude24
¯
Member # 6581

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustangdude24  Ford pictures for mustangdude24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was wondering how hard it is to get one and how much it costs.
Floored
¯
Member # 2312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floored  Ford pictures for Floored    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep. Had mine for a while now..

Paid 4k to go to a 4 week course at Western Truck School. You can do it cheaper but you should really go to a school so employers won't over look you for that first job. If your broke and plan to run over the road (longhaul), then you could sign on with Swift or England (shudder) and get your schooling for free if you agree to work for them for a year..

Check out this site: classadrivers.com, lots of good info there

[ July 29, 2008, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Floored ]

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

Posts: 788 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have had mine 2 years now. the school was few weeks. monday thru friday. 9-4pm. something like that. i was lucky and went to the teamsters school off automall. they paid for it. so i kinda got a free ride.

its a crash course in driving and memorizing the pre-trip. driving behind the wheel with a DMV jerk is the worst part. i think the cost is between 2500-4000 depending on the school.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my friend worked for swift and hated it. he said they never had his checks ready to meet him in whatever city and state he was in. but if you can tuff it out for a year you can get the school and exp easy.

--------------------
The anti-crew

mustangdude24
¯
Member # 6581

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustangdude24  Ford pictures for mustangdude24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool. Thanks for the info. A few of the jobs I have been looking at require a class A, although they aren't truck driving jobs per say. More of an equipment operator job.
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

i been thinking of getting into the driving thing. working on mustangs is not making enough money!

--------------------
The anti-crew

svt306snake
¯
Member # 1967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt306snake  Ford pictures for svt306snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i went to precision truck school in oakland it was like 3 grand best investment to me

--------------------
F*** TPS MOTORSPORTS F *** TPS MOTORSPORTS THEY SUCK ASS

TEAM TRUE FORGED X 2 SPONSORED

CAPITAL MUSTANG C.C.

Posts: 5841 | From: SACRAMENTO "916" YA KNOW | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
5.0_707
¯
Member # 5893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0_707  Ford pictures for 5.0_707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
been drivin for almost a year now...got my class a through my job now...i rode with co workers for a while did my thing in the yard for a few days and took the test...all in all took me about 6 weeks from when i was hired to when i got my class a and was on my own route. its not too hard to get just gotta remember to talk about everything during the pre trip and while driving make sure not to fuck up and your good.
good luck, this was the best move for myself b/c in a year i almost doubled my income [Big Grin] and theres always more money to be made!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com