Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Radar/Lidar Scanner Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Radar/Lidar Scanner Question
Insurance Guy
¯
Member # 8241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insurance Guy  Ford pictures for Insurance Guy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i really would like to get something to watch out for cops in my neck of the woods. i really would like a radar/lidar detector that can not be seen in my convertiable when i park it. anyone have any reccommendations? [Confused]

i would like to spend in the $300 to $500 range but would spend more for the right product.

--------------------
01 GT Drop Top (R.I.P.)
02 GT Drop Top (Sold)
17 5.0 GT Coupe

Posts: 597 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
V1 with attachments

[ July 01, 2008, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Venomized93 ]

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
Insurance Guy
¯
Member # 8241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insurance Guy  Ford pictures for Insurance Guy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not bad although i would still like to see if there is a comprable one that is not visable so i do not need to worry about someone stealing it from my vehicle. beacuse i do not want to take it in and out of my car everytime i drive.

--------------------
01 GT Drop Top (R.I.P.)
02 GT Drop Top (Sold)
17 5.0 GT Coupe

03gtPONY
¯
Member # 5337

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03gtPONY  Ford pictures for 03gtPONY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have it mounted on your windshield. take it off windshield when you park and place it your glove compartment. sounds pretty easy huh. who said you have to carry your radar detector when you park.
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Insurance Dude:
not bad although i would still like to see if there is a comprable one that is not visable so i do not need to worry about someone stealing it from my vehicle. beacuse i do not want to take it in and out of my car everytime i drive.

get a V-1... I have a vert and leave mine on the visor all the time. if I run into a store real quick.. it's one quick disconnect, and it's in my hand.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
FoX GT
¯
Member # 4587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoX GT  Ford pictures for FoX GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't waste your time by looking for alternatives, Valentine V1 has saved me more times than I can count. It's worth its weight in gold.

--------------------
- AED -
03 Cobra 10th anni 3.4 Whipple 9.47@141
2012 Mustang GT 10.98@125
2015 Mustang GT

Bring what you got and hope its enough!

Insurance Guy
¯
Member # 8241

thanks everyone it seems that the V1 is really the best option out there.

--------------------
01 GT Drop Top (R.I.P.)
02 GT Drop Top (Sold)
17 5.0 GT Coupe

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know it's not cool for a mustang, but a CB radio is the best. Then I would say the V-1.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hyperider  Ford pictures for Hyperider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My valentine one save my ass so many times! Specially on Highway 5, CHP can't sneak on you. Love those arrows!

--------------------
04 Cobra

TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hyperider:
My valentine one save my ass so many times! Specially on Highway 5, CHP can't sneak on you. Love those arrows!

They can still get you with lidar. They would have a speed reading before you could hit your brakes. [Cool]

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Insurance Guy
¯
Member # 8241

i have actully gotten a ticket from a chp using a lidar laser. and then i had to go to a pain in the butt traffic school.

If the V1 does not protect against lidar then what does?

--------------------
01 GT Drop Top (R.I.P.)
02 GT Drop Top (Sold)
17 5.0 GT Coupe

03gtPONY
¯
Member # 5337

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03gtPONY  Ford pictures for 03gtPONY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lidar is the latest in radar. Radar detectors can only read lidar once you are about to get pulled over. And you still have to worry about laser, which is even useless to have a radar detector for, unless you have a laser jammer. Plus the V1 has dead spots here in the bay area so at least get a passport 8500.
Insurance Guy
¯
Member # 8241

quote:
Originally posted by 03gtPONY:
Lidar is the latest in radar. Radar detectors can only read lidar once you are about to get pulled over. And you still have to worry about laser, which is even useless to have a radar detector for, unless you have a laser jammer. Plus the V1 has dead spots here in the bay area so at least get a passport 8500.

i have seen products which say the can detect lidar are those just a bunch of bs? and as far as i know jammers are not legal in CA correct?

--------------------
01 GT Drop Top (R.I.P.)
02 GT Drop Top (Sold)
17 5.0 GT Coupe

03gtPONY
¯
Member # 5337

I have a couple of friends who are CHP and they laugh at me because I have a passport 8500. They pull over so many people with radar detectors they say they cant help but laugh. But nothing is ever going to work 100%. The 8500 has saved me a couple of times, and i've wondered why it hasnt gone off when a chp has rolled up behind me. And laser/lidar are the same thing. Except lidar is a newer version for the laser. and no laser jammers are not legal in CA. fines or jail time, depends on the cop really.

[ July 03, 2008, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: 03gtPONY ]

Insurance Guy
¯
Member # 8241

03gtpony I wonder if you have heard about the license plate covers which reduce the effectiveness of lasers on your vehicle. And they supposedly can also prevent pictures of your license plate being taken from camera lights and bridge toll cameras. Do you have any knowledge on this subject?

--------------------
01 GT Drop Top (R.I.P.)
02 GT Drop Top (Sold)
17 5.0 GT Coupe

03gtPONY
¯
Member # 5337

Those license plate covers do work. I bought a set off of radarbusters and from a side angle view it is very obvious that a cop can tell something is blurring the vision of your license plate. I stopped using it a year ago fearing i would get a ticket. I went through toll to test it and I never got a notice in the mail. . If you know about the toll on the bay bridge they send you a notice fast if you dont pay. As for getting around the laser, I'm sure it deflects the laser as it would the flash on the redlight cameras, but I do not trust it 100%. As for redlights, i use the photoblocker spray. It works. I'm not sure in the daytime about how well the flash will work off the photoblocker but I vouche for it.

[ July 03, 2008, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: 03gtPONY ]

Insurance Guy
¯
Member # 8241

cool man, thanks for the info. [patriot]

--------------------
01 GT Drop Top (R.I.P.)
02 GT Drop Top (Sold)
17 5.0 GT Coupe

Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hyperider  Ford pictures for Hyperider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TR1:
quote:

They can still get you with lidar. They would have a speed reading before you could hit your brakes. [Cool]
i guess till it happens to me i'm not going to worry about it. so far it never failed me yet. everytime it goes off sure enough chp is present and i'm already fully aware even before i see them or they see me. plus like i said the arrows are good at least you don't need to look around trying to find where it's coming from. also if i'm doing a spirited driving i'm constantly checking around too and not just relying on my V1.
03gtPONY
¯
Member # 5337

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TR1:
quote:

i guess till it happens to me i'm not going to worry about it. so far it never failed me yet. everytime it goes off sure enough chp is present and i'm already fully aware even before i see them or they see me. plus like i said the arrows are good at least you don't need to look around trying to find where it's coming from. also if i'm doing a spirited driving i'm constantly checking around too and not just relying on my V1.
I can definately relate to what you just posted. But since gas prices are skyrocketing every single day, I've been driving like grandma, and my passport just annoys the shiet outta me. lol

--------------------
*Sleeper GT* nuff said

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com