Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Whats a good 4cyl truck

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats a good 4cyl truck
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know it sounds funny. But I am looking into buying a lil 4 cyl truck. Both for a commuter and the haul capabilities. I will also be having it wrapped so smaller the better.

So far I looked at a Nissan Frontier so far. DOesnt have to be brand new, but looking for some 03+ possibly. Just want to get opinions and any experiences with maintenance, recalls or anything else.

8HATCH8
¯
Member # 6322

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8HATCH8  Ford pictures for 8HATCH8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nissan frontier, GO for it i have one and i love it, great on gas
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
toyotas n8,...they never die
93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
toyotas with the 22re, i have one and i cant kill it, had 1800 ponds in the bed, and gets 27 mpg.....think they made these little pickups until 95 with this motor. mines a 93 168k miles, i fully expect 300k lol

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks venom.....not looking for something that old as I am going to do a vehicle wrap on it as well. So I am looking for something with a newer body style and lines.
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Toyota for the win suckas!!!

L8, if you want an 03+ then get a Tacoma and get the 3.4L v6 its a bad ass motor. There's really no mpg difference between the 4 and 6 but the power and towing capacity of the 6 hands down beats out the 4 cyl by far. 01 and 03 have the same body style so no problem with getting an 01. Are you looking for a 4 door, ext cab or regular? I think this one is pimp

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/723113021.html

For all your car needs you should be looking at Toyota. Once you go Toyota you don't go back. Kinda like going Asian. Next car for you should be a Supra!

[ June 18, 2008, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: cummins ]

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

lol @ L8

Yea been hearing Toyota from everyone. I kinda like the look on the Tacoma. Frontier looks a bit more rugged tho.

wow there are some priced pretty well.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/724670158.html

[ June 18, 2008, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
lol @ L8

Yea been hearing Toyota from everyone. I kinda like the look on the Tacoma. Frontier looks a bit more rugged tho.

wow there are some priced pretty well.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/724670158.html

ummmmm SCAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! No way in hell that ad is real.

Frontier looks rugged LOL. Man you are talking Toyota here. There is no other small truck the rest are just cheap imitations.

--------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a yota

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are all pretty reliable...

Toyota probably tops the charts, with Nissan/Ranger/Mazda very close behind.

I owned a 94 3.0 Ranger that went 200K miles before I sold it. I am confident that it would have gone another 100K easy. I am currently driving a 2.3L Mazda that is stone cold reliable and gets 25mpg average. I could not be happier with these little trucks for DD duties.

-
Best of Luck!

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 for a taco. my dad has an '02 taco 3.4L V6 with 185k and still running great. we do all the regular maintenance and it just keeps going. NEVER had a single problem. it's slow as a slug, but hey it's a truck right?

btw, it avg. ~20-21mpg hwy.

[ June 19, 2008, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: stangin' ]

N8
¯
Member # 6048

20-21 avg? Isnt that pretty bad for a truck of this size? I am getting about that in my 5.0 [Big Grin] . But yea I think I will be picking up a Tacoma this weekend (a dual cab longbed) found some pretty good deals in the Sac area.
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Trucks never get great gas mileage. Plus the taco you are thinking of is not that small of a truck. Sounds like you're going with a similar one of the link I posted, good choice! Oh and you can always supercharge the 3.4 if you want more power. Post pics if you get something. Remember, once you go Toyota you don't go back!

--------------------

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
Remember, once you go Toyota you don't go back!

haha, very true for my dad. he just picked up a '08 Tundra a few months ago. it's a monster.

N8, yeah these trucks aren't that great on gas, but what truck is? i think that 20-21mpg is decent for a truck. my brother has the smaller tacoma, '03 4cyl, and it avg. about the same as my dad's V6. he's going on 160k miles. one advice, if you're going 4cyl, get a manual.

i've driven an '05 frontier and honestly it cannot compete with the taco.

[ June 19, 2008, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: stangin' ]

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
Trucks never get great gas mileage.

Bingo... N8, even though some of these trucks have tiny little 4 banger engines, they still have truck gearing and they still have the aerodynamics of a barnyard door.

25mpg is pretty good imho...

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
20-21 avg? Isnt that pretty bad for a truck of this size? I am getting about that in my 5.0 [Big Grin] . But yea I think I will be picking up a Tacoma this weekend (a dual cab longbed) found some pretty good deals in the Sac area.

sounds pretty horrible to me, I had a `05 4.8L chevy extended cab short bed and it got 21mpg on highway trips, and would spin the tires for blocks, I think it had close to 300hp even with the base v8 [burnout]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

sounds pretty horrible to me, I had a `05 4.8L chevy extended cab short bed and it got 21mpg on highway trips, and would spin the tires for blocks, I think it had close to 300hp even with the base v8 [burnout]
yeah, it's weird. i had an '04 silverado 5.3L V8 and it avg. consistently 20mpg. my uncle with a similar silverado 4.8L avg. 21mpg.
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
They are all pretty reliable...

Toyota probably tops the charts, with Nissan/Ranger/Mazda very close behind.

I owned a 94 3.0 Ranger that went 200K miles before I sold it. I am confident that it would have gone another 100K easy. I am currently driving a 2.3L Mazda that is stone cold reliable and gets 25mpg average. I could not be happier with these little trucks for DD duties.

-
Best of Luck!

+1 [patriot] I love my Ranger. Never had any major problems with it (alternator went out but that's it). It's got 148k and runs great.

I would get a V6. My 3.0 gets 21-23mpg on the freeway.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com