Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Higher gas prices in low income areas???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Higher gas prices in low income areas???
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well this weekend I went on a few long cruises, so needless to say I had to fill up on gas a few times. The first time I got gas was in Sacramento in a rough & low income area of town. Lots of poverty, crime, & lack of good jobs in this area for sure. I filled up at the Shell in the area & noticed that 87 octane was $4.43 a gallon, & 91 octane (supreme) was a whopping $4.67 a gallon.

The next day I was in San Ramon, which is a upper class community where most people earn at least $100,000 to over a million a year. Lots of million dollar homes, porsches, Lambo's, Z06's, Maserati's, you name it in this area. well I filled up @ the Chevron station there, & noticed that 87 octane was only $4.19 a gallon & 91 octane was only $4.41 a gallon????

What is the reason that the rich people that can afford to gas up any car they want, get the far cheaper gas prices, & the poor people that can barely afford a few gallons have to pay over 20 cents more a gallon. I have actually noticed that its like this alot across california...I dont get it & its not fair???

On a side note, I got 23mpg in my Mach this weekend while cruising in 5th gear on the highway between 70-80mph. I got 21mpg while cruising & playing a bit in 3rd & 4th gear...I thought these numbers werent bad for having a custom tune & a few mods...

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

Dave50
¯
Member # 5238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave50  Ford pictures for Dave50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Because people with money tend to shop around a little more then people with little money. Hence the reason they have more money.

--------------------
Obama 09 "YES WE CAN!"

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Dave50:
Because people with money tend to shop around a little more then people with little money. Hence the reason they have more money.

Why shop around for gas if its lower than anywhere else??? Im not poor, but I could use gas thats 20 cents a gallon cheaper too... Why should the wealthy people get the cheaper prices???

[ June 03, 2008, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i did notice that between the chevron on folsom off hwy 50 and the one near arden fair mall there was a 10 cent difference in price for all grades.. that was kinda weird....
Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you want to see high gas prices, drive down the coast on hwy1, it's retarded around me.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
if you want to see high gas prices, drive down the coast on hwy1, it's retarded around me.

I know gas is more expensive in SoCal, & prices are high period, but its just weird to me how in different sides of town are more expensive than others & its usually the lower income areas that are most expensive....

BTW, i noticed that u live in Camarillo. Thats a nice area. Back in 95-96, i used to live in a small town called MoorPark in Ventura county. Are u familiar with it??

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, kraproom [Wink]

I went to CC in moorpark, it's about 15 minutes away.

you'll probably see it on the news soon, that place burns every damn year lately.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

I used to live right across the street from moorpark college & you could hear the damn zoo animals from my house at night....I hated living there at the time, but now when I think back, that was a beautiful area.

--------------------

89FoxLX
¯
Member # 7197

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89FoxLX  Ford pictures for 89FoxLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Because they want to eliminate the middle class. I won't get too into details, but go check out prisonplanet.com
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My office is in San Ramon/Danville, let me know where you saw gas for 4.19 out here....lol. I think what you saw was maybe a coincendence. It also has to do with the density of stations in the area, consensus demographics as well as median income. Lots of factors figure into pricing of gas. Well that used to be the case should I say. In Uni, in my statistics class I did a big elaborate project on gas pricing and demographics and the effects of each. but this was back when gas was like 2.00, could very well be a diff ball game now.

[ June 03, 2008, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: N8 ]

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
My office is in San Ramon/Danville, let me know where you saw gas for 4.19 out here....lol. I think what you saw was maybe a coincendence. It also has to do with the density of stations in the area, consensus demographics as well as median income. Lots of factors figure into pricing of gas. Well that used to be the case should I say. I Uni, in my statistics class I did a big elaborate project on gas pricing and demographics and the effects of each. but this was back when gas was like 2.00, could very well be a diff ball game now.

@ Chevron on Crow Canyon rd, up by the Blackhawk museum

--------------------

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn and it is a Chevron gas station thats cheap....WOW.
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think Chevron is based out of san ramon.
Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think it also has to do on how much the owner of the gas station owes to the gas companys hes buying gas from.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Dave50:

LOL! [Confused]

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are a TON of factors that determine gas prices, one of which of course, is greed on the station owners part. But there are also federal, state, and local taxes, how far from the refinery the gas has to be trucked, how much volume the station sells, the location of the station (closer to the freeway is always more expensive), competing stations (Like on the opposite corner?), supply costs, etc etc...I would take it a little more seriously if you were comparing Oak Park to East Sac and there was a 20 cent difference.

--------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

SheerSliver03
¯
Member # 6589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheerSliver03  Ford pictures for SheerSliver03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by EPIK:
Well this weekend I went on a few long cruises, so needless to say I had to fill up on gas a few times. The first time I got gas was in Sacramento in a rough & low income area of town. Lots of poverty, crime, & lack of good jobs in this area for sure. I filled up at the Shell in the area & noticed that 87 octane was $4.43 a gallon, & 91 octane (supreme) was a whopping $4.67 a gallon.

The next day I was in San Ramon, which is a upper class community where most people earn at least $100,000 to over a million a year. Lots of million dollar homes, porsches, Lambo's, Z06's, Maserati's, you name it in this area. well I filled up @ the Chevron station there, & noticed that 87 octane was only $4.19 a gallon & 91 octane was only $4.41 a gallon????

What is the reason that the rich people that can afford to gas up any car they want, get the far cheaper gas prices, & the poor people that can barely afford a few gallons have to pay over 20 cents more a gallon. I have actually noticed that its like this alot across california...I dont get it & its not fair???

On a side note, I got 23mpg in my Mach this weekend while cruising in 5th gear on the highway between 70-80mph. I got 21mpg while cruising & playing a bit in 3rd & 4th gear...I thought these numbers werent bad for having a custom tune & a few mods...

because people in the ghetto buy gas $2.50 at a time, while upper class acctually fill up their tanks

--------------------
2003 Altima SE
1970 Mustang Coupe *Sold

StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hozr:
There are a TON of factors that determine gas prices, one of which of course, is greed on the station owners part. But there are also federal, state, and local taxes, how far from the refinery the gas has to be trucked, how much volume the station sells, the location of the station (closer to the freeway is always more expensive), competing stations (Like on the opposite corner?), supply costs, etc etc...I would take it a little more seriously if you were comparing Oak Park to East Sac and there was a 20 cent difference.

Fruitridge & martin luther king is on the edge of oak park???

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Black '03 Cobra: 2.9 Whipple Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Posts: 1198 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
JOEFOX87
¯
Member # 8331

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOEFOX87  Ford pictures for JOEFOX87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Kinda true, when I go trough East Oakland I see higher prices than you would see in Danville or Dublin. Epik, you missed the cheaper gas station if you turned left. It was probably 20 to 25 cents cheaper.

I always go to Dublin to gas up when I see a movie in Imax.

Posts: 824 | From: Union City, California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
89FoxLX
¯
Member # 7197

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89FoxLX  Ford pictures for 89FoxLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JOEFOX87:
Kinda true, when I go trough East Oakland I see higher prices than you would see in Danville or Dublin. Epik, you missed the cheaper gas station if you turned left. It was probably 20 to 25 cents cheaper.

I always go to Dublin to gas up when I see a movie in Imax.

I used to do the same thing at the shell on the corner, but their prices are higher than most places now. The 76 off 880 on A st. in Hayward seems to be the cheapest in my area.
J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I fill up in San Ramon every day because I live and work in San Ramon [Big Grin] I've always asked myself the same question, why would it be cheaper here of all places?? Also I didn't know that this many board members work, live, or drive through here...

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Posts: 2131 | From: Bay Area(925) | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You guys know about this website, right? http://www.sanjosegasprices.com/ People report in what prices they see, and this site collects them so you can find where the gas is cheapest. There are a lot of metro areas on the site.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com