Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » New daily beater/ Gas saver (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: New daily beater/ Gas saver
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got tired of breaking the bank driving to work & putting tons of miles on my Stangs. Since my dad picked up my old 86 Jetta GLI from me last year when i bought the 95, he didnt need his old 84 VW Rabbit GTI anymore, so he gave it to me... Its actually in pretty decent shape for a 24 year old car & it runs great & it gets 30+mpg. It has a 1.8 liter 8V & a close ratio 5 speed. My dad was a VW mechanic for 30 years so he got everything up to par before he gave it to me....Although i would love to lower it & do a 16V or 1.8T swap, I dont plan on doing any mods. I do plan on removing the bubbled up window tint, repainting the bumpers black, installing a CD player, & it needs struts & shocks BAD!!! Other than that, its a strong runner...The original interior is even in decent shape, with the exception of the driver seat....Not bad for a car my dad picked up for $500 a few years ago....

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

BTW, I cant get this window tint off. Even with a razor blade, it still has a film that wont come off. The rear window has the defroster lines & they will peel off if I try to use a razor blade. Anyone know a good way to get the tint off, or am i better off going to the wrecking yard & getting some used glass???

[ May 28, 2008, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks cool Dustin.. i know u can make those things pretty fast for what they are.. but i would just drive it an leave it alone.. Also notice u been trying to trade the yellow stang for different fox's thats been on the board. honestly i would sell the yellow stang an put the money into the MACH1. no reason now to have three cars. leave it to the idots like me to try an juggle them around. lol

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's not fun...but brake cleaner should do the trick

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)
-99 Saleen Convert. #231-SOLD

Posts: 1503 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Exactly JIM!!! Now you can use the money you save on gas and put it into the MACH!!!...I can't wait to feel the torque in this thing [Big Grin]

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Black '03 Cobra: 2.9 Whipple Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Posts: 1198 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OUCH

look at what high gas prices has reduced us to!! [Razz]

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you ever decide to sell that GTI, let me know!!!!

I had an 83 GTI when I was stationed in Germany. It was a 1.8 8V, but was built quite well. Lowered, Adj Konis, exhaust, shirt shifter, cam, ported head. The thing would handle like it was on rails. I raced it weekly at Nurburg Ring. It would run a full lap there in just over 9 minutes, and ran 13.9's in the quarter. Top speed was just over 145MPH. At that speed the doors would bow out at the top!

By far the funnest car I have ever owned. It took 3 years of abuse, and never let me down. Mine was a Perreli spec, with the rear spoiler, and flares. I have some in car video somewhere on the ring. I wanted badly to bring it back to the states, but it wasn't 25 years old, so they wouldn't allow it.

Pure Fun.... Enjoy!

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Purple Coupe
¯
Member # 6342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Coupe  Ford pictures for Purple Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
About time BOB !!!! that'S clean [Cool] i like how you put the tire dressing [Big Grin] lol, man thats the car of a TRUE DJ [dance] [dance]

[ May 28, 2008, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: PRIMERED COUPE ]

--------------------
Custom Purple Coupe:
Best ET: 10.26 @137.11 so far...

Posts: 180 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yeah now you can join NorcalRabbit.com Forums and start posting on there...LOL [Big Grin]

So when will you be adding exhaust [Confused] [Confused] ...LOL

[ May 28, 2008, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: streakmatt ]

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Purple Coupe
¯
Member # 6342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Coupe  Ford pictures for Purple Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by streakmatt:
Oh yeah now you can join NorcalRabbit.com Forums and start posting on there...LOL [Big Grin]

+++++++ 1 [Eek!]

NORCALRABBIT..... LMAO [worship] [worship]

--------------------
Custom Purple Coupe:

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlowN67:
looks cool Dustin.. i know u can make those things pretty fast for what they are.. but i would just drive it an leave it alone.. Also notice u been trying to trade the yellow stang for different fox's thats been on the board. honestly i would sell the yellow stang an put the money into the MACH1. no reason now to have three cars. leave it to the idots like me to try an juggle them around. lol

Thanks Jon...I dont plan on getting rid of the 95 yet. I still wanna have a 5.0 in my stable & I think its time for it to get the ol' HCI swap since its no longer a DD....

--------------------

StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

quote:
Originally posted by PRIMERED COUPE:
quote:

+++++++ 1 [Eek!]

What are you laughing at, I remember back in high school when you were rocking the '86 GTI....LOL...But hey, you were still pulling bitches hahahah [worship]

--------------------

Purple Coupe
¯
Member # 6342

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PRIMERED COUPE:
quote:

+++++++ 1 [Eek!]

What are you laughing at, I remember back in high school when you were rocking the '86 GTI....LOL...But hey, you were still pulling bitches hahahah [worship]
[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
Custom Purple Coupe:

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlowN67:

+2. Its pretty hard to juggle just two cars. Between maintenance, gas, insurance, etc. Might as well have one really nice car and a beater.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by vpr_klr:
OUCH

look at what high gas prices has reduced us to!! [Razz]

LOL!!! The funny thing is, I actually like VW's though...I wish i still had my old Jetta that I sold to my pops....

-
 -

--------------------

vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL!

I wish I still had my 92 Corolla!

White with blue interior. run it over stuff and drive it into things, never broke down!

miss the 30+MPG!

at least what you have is clean! good find

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

93 CHP
¯
Member # 8240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 CHP  Ford pictures for 93 CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not bad at all looks pretty clean
Pittsburg Mustang Owner
¯
Member # 6100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittsburg Mustang Owner  Ford pictures for Pittsburg Mustang Owner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a sweet spot for 80s VWs ever since i was a kid. My mom used to tell me about her old VW she had when before i was born and made me love them.

Dope and clean ride man. you have a great all around stable

Posts: 1019 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
If you ever decide to sell that GTI, let me know!!!!

I had an 83 GTI when I was stationed in Germany. It was a 1.8 8V, but was built quite well. Lowered, Adj Konis, exhaust, shirt shifter, cam, ported head. The thing would handle like it was on rails. I raced it weekly at Nurburg Ring. It would run a full lap there in just over 9 minutes, and ran 13.9's in the quarter. Top speed was just over 145MPH. At that speed the doors would bow out at the top!

By far the funnest car I have ever owned. It took 3 years of abuse, and never let me down. Mine was a Perreli spec, with the rear spoiler, and flares. I have some in car video somewhere on the ring. I wanted badly to bring it back to the states, but it wasn't 25 years old, so they wouldn't allow it.

Pure Fun.... Enjoy!

i will let u know, but i dont think it will be for sale any time soon. The VW's do handle pretty d@mn good, even in stock form. Although they lack power compared to our stangs, but they are still fun to drive....

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburg Mustang Owner:
I have a sweet spot for 80s VWs ever since i was a kid. My mom used to tell me about her old VW she had when before i was born and made me love them.

Dope and clean ride man. you have a great all around stable

Thanks bro...I have always had a soft spot for them too since I have been around em all my life...I have always loved the look of a dumped 80's GTI on BBS's....

--------------------

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
$500??? 30 MPG??? Beats the FUCK out of a POS Prius [patriot]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
$500??? 30 MPG??? Beats the FUCK out of a POS Prius [patriot]

Exactly!!! Actually it was free to me, my dad paid $500 for it a few years back....

--------------------

Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Five Decimal Zero  Ford pictures for Five Decimal Zero  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Clean daily driver you got there. I was passed down an 85 Jetta GLI with the 8 valve and an automatic. It was slow as fuck but it was clean inside and out. I wish my parents never donated it. [Frown]
Posts: 972 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: May 2002  |  :
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice commuter!

A little trick on getting the window film off is use a black trash back cut it in half spray windex on teh window then stick the trashbag on the window let it sit then it will peel right off.

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by RiddlerGT:
Nice commuter!

A little trick on getting the window film off is use a black trash back cut it in half spray windex on teh window then stick the trashbag on the window let it sit then it will peel right off.

Thanks for the info...I will try that

--------------------

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice commuter!

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com