Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Making/Buying/Using Bio-diesel (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Making/Buying/Using Bio-diesel
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello everyone. Another post on the board sparked my interest in finding out more about biodiesel and my options. Does anyone know around the hayward area someone that is making their own biodiesel? I have a Ford F-250 Diesel and would like to boycott the crazy rising prices of fuel as much as I can. I hear that its cheaper to make the biodiesel than than to purchase #2 at the pump. At this time, I dont have the means to make my own, but would be nice to find someone in my area that would be interested in making a little money but help save others money at the same time. Business venture anyone? [patriot]
I have read that biodiesel is the best alternative fuel to run because, for trucks that are running chips and other go fast mods the biodiesel will burn at the same rate or possibly slightly better so that you can still turn up the boost and not risk engine failures/problems.
Anyone have any input and/or ideas on the topic? Thanks for any help!
Harold.

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you're gonna smell like french fries!!!! [Big Grin]

not a bad thing

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
haha! nice [Big Grin]

--------------------

Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd never invest in a company that believes this would solve our energy problems. Its not a good idea to mix our food supply with our energy needs. Just look at ethanol, farmers are using their land to produce corn for fuel when they could use it for food and we running close to a global food shortage.
Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Or how about Farm Diesel? Can it be found and will they let you buy it?
Posts: 2173 | From: Tracy, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

yaterstang: I hear you. thanks for your input. Im not looking to start a company, just wondering if anyone is selling biodiesel.

9venom9- yes, there are some fuel stations that sell the Red farm fuel (is that what your talking about?) I have seen it for sale at a gas station right off of 880. Its on the right side of the freeway and right before Marina exit heading Northbound.

I guess the red diesel fuel for farm equipment is not taxed, so that is the reason that why if you get caught running it is a very large offense.

--------------------

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:

I guess the red diesel fuel for farm equipment is not taxed, so that is the reason that why if you get caught running it is a very large offense.

Yeah, the non taxed diesel fuel is red and if they find it in your tank its a huge fine.I've never been checked myself but others from my company have. I got stuck at a lumber yard with no fuel and they offered to give me a few gallons of their diesel for the forklifts. My boss told me absolutely not to put any in my tank and sent our parts guy out to bring me some instead. They paid me and the parts guy for 2 hours of nothing just so I didn't put that stuff in my tank. The government is charging tax for people that make their own bio diesel too, if they test your fuel and its not something purchased from a gas station you get a fine. No matter how you do it, the government wants their cut...... [BS flag] There is a company that started making their own bio diesel and they got a huge fine for taxes the "owe", not having permits for collecting the oil or making the fuel.

[ May 20, 2008, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: asskickn88 ]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
CobraKilla
¯
Member # 1449

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraKilla  Ford pictures for CobraKilla  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
About a year ago my friend and I did lots of research on bio and how to make it, sell it, use it, etc... Even came up with a business plan of some sorts (in my head) to promote it and sell the crap out of it on a large scale (promotions, locations, etc...) Basically it takes about 5-10 years just to get the correct permits and licenses to just handle and make it. At that point I kind of gave up on the idea.

Yes you can do it in your garage with a 55 gallon drum and a few other things. You can buy complete kits that allow you to do it too if you look around online.

As far as red dye diesel and bio, yes you can get in trouble but I've personally never seen a test station though. I'd be more worried about getting in an accident then having the tank rupture and have it leak out on the ground where you'd be able to tell right away. The other thing I'd worry about would be having a neighbor who for some reason has it out for you and reports you.

Goodluck if you decide to produce your own, please let me know how it goes since I'd never actually brewed my own.

--------------------
62 Impala- LS2, Six-speed, 9", drop spindles, etc etc...

Posts: 599 | From: Nationwide | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bio clogs injectors also, fyi

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would like to get involved in making and buying Bio-Diesel, if anybody else wants a partner in it, I just dont have the time to do it all by myself, I need to cut down on my fuel costs, I spend $1000 a month just on diesel and $800 on unleaded.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would not use biodiesel in a 6.0 or a 6.4 Powerstroke, you're only asking for problems. I've seen the effects on both. You'll be replacing injectors like crazy on a 6.0, even with extremely good filtration on the production side. On a 6.4 Powerstroke, if that high pressure fuel pump gets 4 ounces of anything other than diesel fuel (water, impurities, air) the engine will shut down and stall and either there will be injectors stuck open, washing out cylinders and causing bent rods or the high pressure fuel pump itself siezes, locking the camshaft, snapping the cam into pieces and shoving a rod through the side of the block. If you want to run biodiesel or ATF I'd get a 7.3 Powerstroke.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Thanks for the info. guys. I do have an 02 powerstroke.

hidnos- bio will clog the injectors? hmmm. that sucks, any idea why? Is it a certain concentration or too much of something?

--------------------

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:
Thanks for the info. guys. I do have an 02 powerstroke.

hidnos- bio will clog the injectors? hmmm. that sucks, any idea why? Is it a certain concentration or too much of something?

Bio gels at a lower temp and clogs the injecters. In the bay I wouldn't worry a ton about it. I would run like a 20% #2 with the bio.

Look up Utah biodiesel. Very very good site with tons of info and also machins that will refince the veggie oil with the push of a button. I am saving for one right now.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

hmmm, I will have to check out that site. Thanks for the info. Im not much worried about the gelling temps. because when I do go to cold areas where I might have a problem I have some additive that I add to my tank. Turn key bio making machine is what im talkin' about [Big Grin]

--------------------

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here you go. Most info I have found on any one site.

http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

NiftyWhiteFifty
¯
Member # 4320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiftyWhiteFifty  Ford pictures for NiftyWhiteFifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
Bio clogs injectors also, fyi

running straight waste veggie oil would clog injectors, but running bio would not, as long as you're not living in a sub zero temperature climate (because biodiesel does gel when it gets down to a certain temperature). i've run biodiesel in my F250 for a while and done lots of research on it. everyone i've talked to says biodiesel is actually better for truck than petroleum diesel

if your interested in getting your own biodiesel processor, check out www.fuelmeister.com

--------------------
'05 F150 4x4

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Right on guys. Im going to check these out when I get a chance [patriot]
Thanks.

--------------------

happygmore
¯
Member # 7159

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for happygmore  Ford pictures for happygmore    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my boy already does it. local too for most of you guys, check him out..

www.goodguysbiodiesel.com

Posts: 421 | From: west san jose | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Happygilmore- thats exactly what im looking for- but have some questions for him/ or if you might be able to give me some insight? I went on his website and he is asking $4.89 a gallon for bio-diesel. I think this is more than what is at the pump for #2? I havent checked the prices lately at the pump, I know right now there going crazy!
What would be the advantage to paying more for biodiesel than #2?
Thanks!!!!
[patriot]

--------------------

nsty_2000
¯
Member # 7921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nsty_2000  Ford pictures for nsty_2000    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cousin has a mercedes converted. bought a pump too, so we just go behind restaurants at night, throw the host in, and it filters it on the way in to the tank! ftw, really. but definetly not a lady grabber..haha

--------------------
2000 GT- 373s comming soon/shift kit/stall
2000 Accord- L7 15'/Diamond D3 1000.1
caraudio.com "2kaccord"

Posts: 109 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Sep 2007  |  :
WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WRS92GT  Ford pictures for WRS92GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9Venom9:
Or how about Farm Diesel? Can it be found and will they let you buy it?

Uh sure if you don't mind the man bending you over for tax evasion. Many counties especially farming area counties conduct roadside "dip tests" to see if you're running red dye diesel.

Now the kicker is there is another version that is FAR harder to come by but if you have access to it it is virtually undectable with regard to dip tests, that being clear diesel. I only know of three farmers that have had or currently have clear diesel.

Honestly bio-diesel really isn't that effective in anything other than 12V Cummins rigs. 6.9L IDI, 7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L Powerstrokes, 6.6L Duramax all do not react well to bio-diesel without some serious retrofitting your fuel system. Even the last generation 5.9L Cummins powerplants recommend that you only run 20% bio mixed in with regular #2 diesel.

Another major issue for bio-diesel is securing a long term fuel source to use for converting to bio. Most people just don't bother due to these reasons. I'm not saying it can't be done but it's just not that effective in my opinion.

[ May 21, 2008, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: WRS92GT ]

--------------------
01 F250 PSD Crew 4X4

Posts: 455 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why is that guy asking $4.89 for Bio-diesel? I paid $4.81 for diesel#2 just today.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

WRS92GT- Great info. Thanks again!

--------------------

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
Why is that guy asking $4.89 for Bio-diesel? I paid $4.81 for diesel#2 just today.

Thats what I was wondering I paid 4.75 today for #2. I like the $.20 or $.10 off at safeway!!!

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

happygmore
¯
Member # 7159

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for happygmore  Ford pictures for happygmore    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its more of whats better for your diesel engine guys. If you have ever seen the crap we get for diesel, just pump a couple of gallons into a tank and see after a day whats sitting on the bottom. those tanks are OLD too! its more of whats better for the environment. my truck runs better and feels stronger than when i used diesel from the gas station. just wait till one of your injector pumps go out, $$$$$$$$$$$. if you have a recent diesel for the most part you dont need to do much to change and can go back to reg diesel if you want. not much to "convert" i upgraded to a finer fuel filter and thats about it, but wasnt needed.
Posts: 421 | From: west san jose | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com