Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » streetbike opinon

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: streetbike opinon
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats your opinions on the new kawasaki zx10?
i can get a 07 red zx10 brand new for $8999 and im thinking of getting it.anyone have expereince with one?

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you owned sportbike in the past? I've always wanted a 1000cc bike, but I was always told that the ZX10R's are insanely fast. If you dont have much riding experience, I'd stay away from a 1000cc bike, especially yje zx10r...just my 2 cents [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They do pack some good hp. Its all about preference really, the Kawis just seem a little behind the comparable bikes. An 06 GSXR 1000, would be a better choice if your not buying brand new. I like the new CBR 1000RRs right now
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1285741/
They dont have the rear undertail exhausts which make you reek and has a better stabalizer. The Kawi has a smokin motor, but handles less precise compared to the other bikes.

[ May 20, 2008, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: Yaterstang ]

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the zx10 is a great bike very fast and nice looking..but if you dont have alot of riding experiance then i wouldnt reccomend it...a gsxr 750 is ok to learn on and is still fast!

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jaejae:
the zx10 is a great bike very fast and nice looking..but if you dont have alot of riding experiance then i wouldnt reccomend it...a gsxr 750 is ok to learn on and is still fast!

A gsxr is ok to learn on [Eek!] ????? That's a recipe for disaster. 99.9% of street riders will never use half the performance potential of a middle weight gsxr 750 on the street (that includes pro-plated guys that I know that still ride on the street).

I recommend noobs to get a beat up, non-fairing, used, non-production sportbike, with less then 600cc to learn on....

[ May 20, 2008, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Dave50
¯
Member # 5238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave50  Ford pictures for Dave50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

LOL! If you like throttle get whatever cc bike you want all of them are fast with fuel injection! 1000cc bikes are usually on heavier frames than 600-750 bikes so... if you want speed get the 1000, if you want great speed plus turns get a gixxer750 they are on a 600 frame but a bigger motor. I dont care what bike you learn on, every car driver still pulls out in front of you, they dont know the cc of the bike. I do suggest a gixxer 750 geared and piped, first gear will be fun for years!

[ May 20, 2008, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: Dave50 ]

--------------------
Obama 09 "YES WE CAN!"

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CobramanPhil:
quote:

A gsxr is ok to learn on [Eek!] ????? That's a recipe for disaster. 99.9% of street riders will never use half the performance potential of a middle weight gsxr 750 on the street (that includes pro-plated guys that I know that still ride on the street).

I recommend noobs to get a beat up, non-fairing, used, non-production sportbike, with less then 600cc to learn on....

notice i said ok to learn on...im 16 and i learned how to ride on a 750...not hard just dont be throttle happy because it will put u on your back...or even worse..in a coffin...

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've had a 2004 zx10r & a 2006 zx10r. awesome bikes! but over all i think i'd go back to another 2006 gixxer 1k. it was just the best fit for me & most comfortable feeling around the corners-very confidence inspiring front end compared to the zx10's. my 2004 zx10r felt like the beast of all tho. monster motor-constant wheelie machine! also, fyi 2007 zx10r's were being blown out @ $7k otd not too long ago! shop around, leftover 2006-2007 zx10r's will go for way below the $9k u were quoted.

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone who says they learned on a 750 or 1000 cc bike has no idea. You havent learned anything about riding a bike. You have learned to go in a straight line and thats it. If you really want to learn how to ride get a small bike 250 or 500 cc bike. Develop your skills and then move up. At track days there are guys on 250 cc bikes running CIRCLES around guys on bigger bikes.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

ugotsmoked
¯
Member # 6069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugotsmoked  Ford pictures for ugotsmoked    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GSXR 750! I would ony get the 1000 because it comes in white. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Fully built and blown - RIP
'00 C5 Frc - Cammed and tuned - sold
66 Nova - Restored - 6.0 In the works

Posts: 1585 | From: Rocklin, Ca. | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925GT50  Ford pictures for 925GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Anyone who says they learned on a 750 or 1000 cc bike has no idea. You havent learned anything about riding a bike. You have learned to go in a straight line and thats it. If you really want to learn how to ride get a small bike 250 or 500 cc bike. Develop your skills and then move up. At track days there are guys on 250 cc bikes running CIRCLES around guys on bigger bikes.

x2 Im getting a 250 I aint really ridden much but ive been wanting a bike for the summer. Gas on 2 V8's is insane right now. When I develop enough skills/confidence I can always move up to a bigger bike.

[ May 20, 2008, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: 925GT50 ]

--------------------
1990 GT hatch (owned since 05')
1988 GT (sold)
1995 SN95 Cobra (totaled/parted)
1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am LT1 (daily driver)

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I dont care what bike you learn on, every car driver still pulls out in front of you, they dont know the cc of the bike.
Part of motorcycling skills is to avoid situations like that...
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

quote:

That would be me [Wink] I came from doing motocross as a kid and then getting a little 250 for track duty (never road it on the street). The bigger bikes would always zoom by me in the straights (especially on the starts), but I would always end up 10-15 seconds ahead of them at the start/finish line of each lap [Big Grin] To be honest I never really gave it much thought(just too excited to do track days for free via the parent's fund), but people would comment and laugh at each other and nicknamed me the "bumble bee bike kid" since it was repainted bright yellow and I would always out brake the other riders in the corners (and yes that bike buzzed with the weirdo type of stinger exhaust on it) [Wink]

I bust up laughing when street riders tell me that they need a bigger bike because they feel that they utilized the full potential of the bike's capabilities (eg. gsxr 600/750). Then I ask them how much they slide the front end through corners and how often they drag their elbows on the street...that usually gets a blank stare [Roll Eyes]

[ May 20, 2008, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just make sure your ready for the power. a 600 GSXR will run 10's and do 160 mph so it will kill you also.

I ride alot so I pay attention to this...in my area more people have been killed on harleys and big cruisers(harley looking jap bikes)latley than anything else. It isn't that close either these big bikes have less room for error on handling and braking and people miss corners and they die. I am starting to come around on the crotch rocket thing some. Most people who die on those ride with a death wish. I think a good cautious rider on a crotch rocket has a much better chance of survival because of the handeling and the braking they have. I am a big guy so I like big bikes. The way I ride my bike I would be safer on a crotch rocket. lol I still bust through the mountains and do over 100 alot [Big Grin] I just tend to do it when we ride in remote areas. good luck on what ever you decide to get.oh BTW ZX10's are very nice bikes but I would shop around for a better deal on a year old new version.

[ May 20, 2008, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yaterstang:
They do pack some good hp. Its all about preference really, the Kawis just seem a little behind the comparable bikes. An 06 GSXR 1000, would be a better choice if your not buying brand new. I like the new CBR 1000RRs right now
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1285741/
They dont have the rear undertail exhausts which make you reek and has a better stabalizer. The Kawi has a smokin motor, but handles less precise compared to the other bikes.

HONDA CBR 1000RRs !! [worship]

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
93 CHP
¯
Member # 8240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 CHP  Ford pictures for 93 CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea the zx10's are sick bikes but I always liked the gsxr's
93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ill be getting a drz400sm soon- supermotos are effin fun in the twisties, not enough power to get yourself into to much trouble either-def a good fun learner bike

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 925GT50:
quote:

x2 Im getting a 250 I aint really ridden much but ive been wanting a bike for the summer. Gas on 2 V8's is insane right now. When I develop enough skills/confidence I can always move up to a bigger bike.
If you want a beginner bike try this. The 2008 Kawasaki 250. Looks like a 600 with the price tag of a 250. Brand new MSRP is 3450. Good luck trying to get one though. They can't keep them in stock anywhere I have looked. Trying to get one for my fiance to learn.
 -
It almost looks like my 2007 cbr 600.
 -
You should just get a 600. My bike is suppose to be able to do 10.4 on a 1/4 mile (professional Driver). If you need to go faster than that on the street, just make sure that you follow the advice from a lot of the other people on here. Get some ride time in first. I sure am glad I started with a 600. This is plenty fast for me. The only car I have lost to was that damn Ariel Atom. I have not lost to a bike yet either. Racing also involves how skilled the driver is, not just the cc in the bike.
Last but not least, look over this website before deciding to go out without any protective gear. It changed my riding behaviors for sure.
http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm

[ May 21, 2008, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: 95GTConvtACE ]

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a modern I4 liter bike is an absolutely unnecessary and unintelligent purchase for somebody with little or no riding experience. anybody who tells you different is a poor rider themselves, or just doesn't give a shit about you, your health or your life. people don't seem to fathom just how fast those bikes are, and just how fast you can die on them. one false move is all it takes, and you're done. you have no protective cage, and if you're anything like all the other idiots, you don't even wear protective gear like leathers, boots, or gloves.

modern 600+ I4 bikes are peaky, twitchy, and unforgiving. also, as someone else already said, you absolutely will not, unless you're some kind of riding legend, ever bring the bike anywhere close to its limits. most of us probably couldn't even ride a 250 to its limits.

if you absolutely need to buy a literbike to compensate for something, then by all means, go for it. just don't expect any sympathy from people when you wreck it because you didn't know what you were doing.

if, on the other hand, you actually want to learn how to become a competent rider, there are LOTS of bikes that will work. if you're too insecure to be seen on a 250, older 600s are much less insane, and make much less power. look into CBR F2s and F3s. my first bike was a salvaged '98 YZF600R, and it was a pretty awesome beginner bike. more than enough power to satisfy, yet not so much that you were afraid to ride it like it was meant to be ridden. I would scrape my foot on the ground while riding on particularly twisty roads, and kept up with larger bikes with ease, since the riders of the other bikes relied on their speed in the straights, and rode like shit in the corners. older bikes are, obviously, much cheaper, and when you drop them (not if), it doesn't hurt as much as if it were a brand new bike.

bottom line, use some maturity and self control when it comes to selecting a bike. it could very well be the difference between years of riding, and just being another statistic

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont think the original poster ever mentioned his skill or experience level to any of us. Didnt he just ask our opinion on the Zx10, not if he should choose a 600 or 250 or whatever. In my opinion every single bike has a different feel. And when you get a new one it takes time to get married or become one with your bike to where you are completely confident with its power and handling capabilities. You know, where your draggin knee, poppin wheelies, doing stoppies and splitting traffic. I'd say if you have any buddies with the ZX10, see if you could roll it and make your decision on that.

[ May 21, 2008, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Yaterstang ]

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I dont think the original poster ever mentioned his skill or experience level to any of us. Didnt he just ask our opinion on the Zx10, not if he should choose a 600 or 250 or whatever.

I guess this is true. He might be some professional driver and all too.lol

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

quote:
Originally posted by STREETFIGHTER50:
i've had a 2004 zx10r & a 2006 zx10r. awesome bikes! but over all i think i'd go back to another 2006 gixxer 1k. it was just the best fit for me & most comfortable feeling around the corners-very confidence inspiring front end compared to the zx10's. my 2004 zx10r felt like the beast of all tho. monster motor-constant wheelie machine! also, fyi 2007 zx10r's were being blown out @ $7k otd not too long ago! shop around, leftover 2006-2007 zx10r's will go for way below the $9k u were quoted.

I think if you ask a lot of the ZX10 riders they will tell you the front end gives you the shimmies at higher speeds, if your into going over 120(you'd never do that). I really prefer the CBR's stabalizer, and the gixxers are good too.
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im not a pro rider.i do have experience with bikes,but my old bike was a 94 ninja 600 with every bolt on.i had it less then a year,i did drop once or twice. but then again i didnt ride it like an asshole but i did have fun on it.went to berryessa,down 5,trip to frisco and so on. but i sold it about 2 years ago and i have the itch again.maybe i dont need a 1000cc, but i was just lookin.have riden my friends gsxr 04 600 more then a few times and loved it. maybe i look for a used 600 or even a 750 and go from there.
so anyone have a hook up on bikes?
and thanks for all the info

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

quote:
Originally posted by 95GTConvtACE:
quote:
I dont think the original poster ever mentioned his skill or experience level to any of us. Didnt he just ask our opinion on the Zx10, not if he should choose a 600 or 250 or whatever.

I guess this is true. He might be some professional driver and all too.lol
You would think a pro rider would eat, breathe and crap bike information so I doubt it [Wink]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com