Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » smog referee!!!!!! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: smog referee!!!!!!
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone here or anyone know a referee that might not be to anal for me to take my car to!

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Only "ref" I'm aware of close to the 707 is at the J.C.

Why do you have to go to the ref anyway?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:

I was about 1 minute away from my house here in vacaville and I get pulled over by CHP for no front plate. He then started askin about if my car was stock, i said i got the car this way. So at the time he seemed OK, then asked to see under my hood, said NO PROBLEM! Then here it comes,"Oh nice intake, thats not stock!" Then told me my s/c pulley wasnt stock and asked why i need a small one! I replied with," The smaller pulley saves me money on gas!" Anyway told me to get the car off the road and not to drive it until it is in compliance with 24004! Asked how im supposed to get to work, he says I dunno! I then asked the officer if I could borrow 2100 bucks from him so I could make my mortgage payment while my car is off the road!

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have long tube headers? Why not just swap to stock (WHAT YOU "HAVE" TO) and take it care of, then keep the paper in your car.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
quote:

I was about 1 minute away from my house here in vacaville and I get pulled over by CHP for no front plate. He then started askin about if my car was stock, i said i got the car this way. So at the time he seemed OK, then asked to see under my hood, said NO PROBLEM! Then here it comes,"Oh nice intake, thats not stock!" Then told me my s/c pulley wasnt stock and asked why i need a small one! I replied with," The smaller pulley saves me money on gas!" Anyway told me to get the car off the road and not to drive it until it is in compliance with 24004! Asked how im supposed to get to work, he says I dunno! I then asked the officer if I could borrow 2100 bucks from him so I could make my mortgage payment while my car is off the road!
Sounds like that CHP officer knew a lot about cars if he spotted a smaller pulley on your supercharger, might have been good to not say anything at all to that question.
When i took my Jeep to the referee when i put the 5.0L in it the people that inspected it were students or they didn't know anything about engines cause they said a lot of dumb things to me.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

That SUCK'S!! Damn sound's like He just got done with a class on spotting modified car's and took it to Ya [Embarrassed] . I just bought a new front bumper for My fox and am leaving the licence plate holder "and My plate" on that puppy! You can't give them any reason to pull You over anymore [BS flag] .

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Do you have long tube headers? Why not just swap to stock (WHAT YOU "HAVE" TO) and take it care of, then keep the paper in your car.

Nope, no LT's. that's what im thinking, when I call the ref I'll tell them I got ticketed for "modified" intake and need to take care of it, or something. thing that gets me is, i know this schmoe will be looking for me onthe highway now! I work at Budweiser, so i travel 80 everyday from vacaville to fairfield!

--------------------

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
haha bastards...they are gettin smarter everyday

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Nope, no LT's. that's what im thinking, when I call the ref I'll tell them I got ticketed for "modified" intake and need to take care of it, or something. thing that gets me is, i know this schmoe will be looking for me onthe highway now! I work at Budweiser, so i travel 80 everyday from vacaville to fairfield!
should have told him you'd give him a case of beer if he left you alone haha

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

5.0_707
¯
Member # 5893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0_707  Ford pictures for 5.0_707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 532Fastback:
quote:
quote:

should have told him you'd give him a case of beer if he left you alone haha
haha [patriot] i woulda said some shit like that too!
Wings65288
¯
Member # 5901

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wings65288  Ford pictures for Wings65288  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what i don't get is if your car will pass smog how can he ticket you for a smaller pulley and a intake if they're both smog legal?

--------------------
2003 Zinc Yellow Cobra 1/4: 11.90 @ 117.22

Posts: 140 | From: Santa Rosa, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Wings65288:
what i don't get is if your car will pass smog how can he ticket you for a smaller pulley and a intake if they're both smog legal?

what i don't understand is why would your car fail passing a smog test if it passes the sniffer but fails the visual. That makes no sense at all to me. Does the looks of your engine produce smog? [Roll Eyes] Smog laws should only be based on if your car doesn't pass the sniffer because thats where the smog is coming from.

[ April 20, 2008, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: 532Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wings65288
¯
Member # 5901

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wings65288  Ford pictures for Wings65288  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's all a big joke... whenever i see any kind of cop i steer clear.....!

--------------------

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

I think the officer was having a bad day with either his wife or girlfriend!! Don't understand why he couldnt of just warned me like Vaca PD has done in the past!!! I rearely drive the car around town, just to and from work, the one day i wanna enjoy the weather in my car i get nailed!!!

IF i would of offered this schmo a case of beer he probably would of then wrote me up for trying to bribe him, or he would say he was a miller/coors drinker, what a frickin MOMO!!

Wings65288
¯
Member # 5901

for example i had a cop behind me just trailin and i was drivin 25 MPH in 4th gear

--------------------

Wings65288
¯
Member # 5901

are you on SVTP?
quote:
I think the officer was having a bad day with either his wife or girlfriend!! Don't understand why he couldnt of just warned me like Vaca PD has done in the past!!! I rearely drive the car around town, just to and from work, the one day i wanna enjoy the weather in my car i get nailed!!!

IF i would of offered this schmo a case of beer he probably would of then wrote me up for trying to bribe him, or he would say he was a miller/coors drinker, what a frickin MOMO!!

--------------------

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
03svtpower, why dont u just pay the freakin ticket and leave the car alone and case close.....when u get the courtesy notice in, it should give u a option of paying the bail amount or $10 for the violation corrected. someshit like that, at least thats how mine is over here in SJ

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by F8LSN8K:
03svtpower, why dont u just pay the freakin ticket and leave the car alone and case close.....when u get the courtesy notice in, it should give u a option of paying the bail amount or $10 for the violation corrected. someshit like that, at least thats how mine is over here in SJ

Its a non-correctable fine for modified emissions, im mainly stressin cuz Im not supposed to be driving my car until its been certified by a ref! the other things I was ticketed on Ill have my brother sign them off!

Hey Wings65288, Yeah im on SVTP.com but rarely post, i recently started posting there again for a little bolt on I purchased! [Wink]

--------------------

Black Pearl
¯
Member # 7677

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black Pearl  Ford pictures for Black Pearl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been under the impression that if they ask you to look under your hood, it falls under a consentual search. Sometimes they word it in a way that makes you feel as if you have no choice. But in the end, the choice is yours. Falls under the plain view doctrine (which has been modified to include smell and hearing i believe.) Now, if this is true, they would need to obtain a search warrant to check under your hood OR have just cause. IF they ask to look under your hood, you can always say no. In a big city, they would probably just be on their way and give you a little ticket for somthing crappy like a taillight or lisence plate lamp. In a small town, they might call up the judge and try to get phone approval for the warrant just to get the collar. You can never tell, but i'm pretty sure that you do have the option to let them under your hood or not.
Just my 2 cents. :-D

--------------------
If ya can't find em, GRIND EM!

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black Pearl:
I've been under the impression that if they ask you to look under your hood, it falls under a consentual search. Sometimes they word it in a way that makes you feel as if you have no choice. But in the end, the choice is yours. Falls under the plain view doctrine (which has been modified to include smell and hearing i believe.) Now, if this is true, they would need to obtain a search warrant to check under your hood OR have just cause. IF they ask to look under your hood, you can always say no. In a big city, they would probably just be on their way and give you a little ticket for somthing crappy like a taillight or lisence plate lamp. In a small town, they might call up the judge and try to get phone approval for the warrant just to get the collar. You can never tell, but i'm pretty sure that you do have the option to let them under your hood or not.
Just my 2 cents. :-D

Yes, you absolutely can say no to the search. The office must show probable cause/warrant. Always carry a tape recorder around with you. It comes in handy!! Get the details of the stop(when/where, etc.), the reasons why he pulled you over, etc.

Pulling someone over for a front license plate, then searching their hood sounds like a profiled stop. If you got all of those details on tape, a lawyer would have a field day with that because, it if were NOT a profiled stop, I'd like to know how many Dodge Caravans he has stopped for no front plate and proceeded to check the engine bay.

The sole fact that he would ask to check your hood because you have a Cobra and not a Dodge Caravan...

See my point? Carry a tape recorder and your traffic stops will have a different nature.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So you need a stock air box?
Somebody's got to have one you can borrow. Along with the stock pulley cover. Just remove your aftermarket idler & bolt on the stock pulley cover. Should be good enough to pass with a Ref. Or, grab a stock pulley & come by the shop. I'll swap out the pulley for you.

I can't remember....do you have the stock cats or high-flows? Anything other than stock & the ref will nail you. Only 4 cats will pass with a Ref.....

We had to take the wife's car to a smog ref once. Even C.A.R.B. legal parts they wouldn't accept unless the parts were visably stamped with the correct C.A.R.B. number.

Of course that brings up another option. Find a qualifying C.A.R.B. number online & stamp your parts yourself.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=800

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just looked it up...
There's 2 Air filter kits for the 03/04 Cobra's that have C.A.R.B. numbers. K&N and S&B (never heard of that one)

Do a search on the site linked above, then search the page for 'Cobra'.....otherwise you'll be searching for quite some time.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

thanks for the info guys!

Now what if the same CHP officer pulls me over again and asks to see under the hood again,then I say no at that point?

--------------------

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are stopped by CHP and told to pop your hood you must submit. It is not a search. It is an inspection.

2804 V.C. A member of the California Highway Patrol upon reasonable belief that any vehicle is being operated in violation of any provisions of this code or is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person, may require the driver of the vehicle to stop and submit to an inspection of the vehicle, and its equipment , license plates, and registration card.

[ April 22, 2008, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: sharkattack ]

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sharkattack:
If you are stopped by CHP and told to pop your hood you must submit. It is not a search. It is an inspection.

2804 V.C. A member of the California Highway Patrol upon reasonable belief that any vehicle is being operated in violation of any provisions of this code or is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person, may require the driver of the vehicle to stop and submit to an inspection of the vehicle, and its equipment , license plates, and registration card.

That is absolutely correct. Except that a CHP officer must conduct this safety inspection in its entirety. A CHP officer cannot simply conduct this safety inspection by ONLY looking under the hood. That is a profiled stop.

If CHP asks you to pop your hood, you may decline, at which point the CHP has the right to conduct the "Safety Inspection" under VC 2804. But he better do all 100+ points. I better see him check my tire tread depth, my horn, blinker, head/tail lights, etc.

If he cites a safety inspection of the vehicle, make sure you GET IT ON TAPE! Record the fact that he conducted a full inspection. Record the time of day it was conducted. Ask the officer how many previous safety inspections he has conducted, etc. All these are relevant in showing that the stop was profiled.

Most CHP do not conduct these safety inspections on a regular basis. The guys you see driving the Dodge Rams and have blue suits on, do.

Edit:

Also, I forgot to add: This inspection is also based on "reasonable belief". He still needs to supply evidence that you are in violation and must conduct this search.

[ April 22, 2008, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Tha91SiCkNeSs ]

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com