Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Los Angeles Courthouse, fix it ticket...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Los Angeles Courthouse, fix it ticket...
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, I am absolutely dumbfounded by what happened.

Sept '07 I am driving in LA when a cop pulls me over. He claims I made an illegal right hand turn. After taking my lisc and registration, he comes back and says that he will just give me a warning for the right hand turn since I am from out of town, but he is issuing me a fix-it-ticket for my driver's lisc having an outdated address on it.

A week later I head to the DMV, get my lisc address updated, the dmv signed off on the ticket, and told me to send it to the Los Angeles County Courthouse, which I did.

Fast forward 5 months... Today I get a letter from the collection agency saying I owe $800 for "failure to appear" and that a warrant will be issued for my arrest if the bill is not paid.

How a simple fix it ticket turned into $800 and a warrant on the way is beyond me! The whole time I was under the impression that I could simply mail the signed ticket in, as the DMV indicated to me.

Worst part, I can't even get in contact with anyone until Monday morning... ehhhhh

Unbelievable.

Anyone dealt with something similar or think they can steer me in the right direction?

Thanks guys!

Sometimes I am terrified of getting pulled over at all because only god knows where that information is sent, stored, mistakenly processed, etc...

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry I can't help but I had a similar situation with a tint ticket from Colusa County. Fix it, signed of, sent, then got a collections notice for $400 5-6 months down the line with the same warnings. Bullshit man. I had no time to deal with it any further.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black 02 SS:
Sorry I can't help but I had a similar situation with a tint ticket from Colusa County. Fix it, signed of, sent, then got a collections notice for $400 5-6 months down the line with the same warnings. Bullshit man. I had no time to deal with it any further.

so you paid it and that was it?

--------------------
Stangless

slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It could have been lost in the mail. It's best to send stuff of registered mail so you have a receipt of delivery.
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recived the same kind of ticket by skyline college back a long time ago. Yes it is a fix it ticket, but fix it tickets have a fee now. I had to pay 100.00 or 125.00 and that was 6 plus years ago.

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
At this point it is best to pay it.

[ February 23, 2008, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
quote:
Originally posted by Black 02 SS:

so you paid it and that was it?
Yeah, that's all I did. I had gotten rid of the car by that point as well. Being that Colusa was 100+ miles out I didn't want to go through the hassle.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Thanks for all the help guys.

I need to remember in the future to follow up on any tickets I receive. I guess you have to be pro-active and protect yourself.

I will be talking to them on Monday and see if we can come to any common ground.

The only thing I have going for myself is that I have the change of address slip that the DMV gave me (which has a stamped date of 1 week after I got pulled over).

Hey Los Angeles County Courthouse  -

--------------------
Stangless

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Contact them (court, NOT collection agency) and get the name/address of the presiding judge for the division. Write a nice letter explaining the situation, show proof of correction, and send it certified mail. I've done this on more than one occasion...it works.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Contact them (court, NOT collection agency) and get the name/address of the presiding judge for the division. Write a nice letter explaining the situation, show proof of correction, and send it certified mail. I've done this on more than one occasion...it works.

Thats great advise. If you have the paper from DMV showing you did the change of address 1 week after the ticket then I'm sure they'll work with you. They can be dicks in certain situations but when you approach them the right way it will usually work out in your favor. Its the same way as dealing with cops when your pulled over, if your an asshole they'll return it 10 times worse. I've talked my way out of so many tickets by just being cool to the cop.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sucks Luke.
Something similar happened with my mom, it all got worked out in the end.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

UPDATE:

Hi guys, so I finally flew down to LA on Thursday for my court date to get this resolved.

The judge had me for the license address update fix-it ticket along with a failure to appear.

I pled guilty and showed documentation that the fix-it ticket was addressed back in October of 2007. The judge dropped the fix-it ticket and fined me $135 for the failure to appear. A lot better than the original fine of $800 from the collections agency.

All in all it worked out ok.

In summary, if you ever get a fix-it ticket, make sure you go to court and prove that it was taken care of. Do not trust that just sending it in will be enough. In my case, they never received the signed ticket, and I had no documentation that it was sent in.

Still cost me 2 days off work, $200 plane ticket, and countless hours at the DMV along with phone time...

Happy motoring

[ April 05, 2008, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anything is better than going to jai for failure to appear! [Mad]

[ April 13, 2008, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: cdog301 ]

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow yeah my friend had the same situation with a speeding ticket in a neighboring state.

Since he was in another State visiting family traffic court wasn't an option so he just paid. Turns out the court "never got the payment" and he almost got taken to jail for a seat belt ticket in Cali.

Gotta send it certified/tracking nowadays. You never know when you might fall thru the legal cracks .

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com