Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Saleen, Roush or Cobra (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Saleen, Roush or Cobra
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well the Lord blessed me and my family last night. So as a result I am considering making the jump from foxes to the newer year stangs. Like the 01-06 range. Been looking on CL and saw a Saleen, Roush and Cobra I like. But I am ashamed to say it. I dont know much about any of them. I know Cobras are popular (the one I plan on checking out is a 01 is it better to go newer like 04?). I think the Roush's look sick. And Saleens as well. This will be by far not a daily driver, and will almost be in some sort of time capsule as I plan to only drive it about 1k miles a year. I guess you can say I am looking for input on which to buy. Not gonna rush into a buy, may take a few weeks to do it. But things I would like to know is:

1. Performance wise which one is hotter. (Although I will never race it)

2. Which is wife friendly (I know this one doesn't go with #1 but hey, she will be driving it too)

3. Which holds value better

4. Is there any colors or options on the respective choices I should look for? (like are some colors rarer than others.)

5. Any random input, tech advice, flames, off-topic posts would be great as well.

[ February 15, 2008, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: N8 ]

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
An 03/04 Cobra is probably going to be your best bet on all accounts. They are the best built, fastest and most powerful stock for stock and are a very refined nice to drive car as well. As for hold its value....well, lets face it, no late model mustang really does that...lol

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
FoX GT
¯
Member # 4587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoX GT  Ford pictures for FoX GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
1. Performance wise which one is hotter. (Although I will never race it)

Unless you're ready to fork out some serious cash for a supercharged Saleen or Roush Stage 3 (Read 50K+) then the 03-04 Cobra is the hottest. 390 underrated hp from the factory from a 6spd. Pulley, exhaust and tune and you're at rougly 500RWHP. Blower swap and some supporting mods and you're at 600RWHP.

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
2. Which is wife friendly (I know this one doesn't go with #1 but hey, she will be driving it too)

Does your wife drive stick? 03-04 Cobras only come in a 6spd, Mach 1s are stick/auto.

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
3. Which holds value better

Well, seeing as brand new 04 cobras were 34K, low mileaged ones in CA are 27-29K and average mileaged ones are $25K. Thats pretty good for holding their value over 4 years.

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
4. Is there any colors or options on the respective choices I should look for? (like are some colors rarer than others.)

Did you see the pictures of Tinner's Machinator? I never thought I was a fan of orange until I saw Tinner's Mach 1 in person. If you're looking at 03-04 cobras, the 04 cobras with dark charcol inserts for the front seats are more desireable than the light grey 03s.

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
5. Any random input, tech advice, flames, off-topic posts would be great as well.

If you're going to look at 99-01 Cobras, just skip them and look at the Mach 1s. Better heads (Same as 03-04 cobras), and it already comes with a solid axle.

It really depends on which styling you like more. The 01-04 styling or the 05+. FWIW, you can put a ford racing whipple on an 05+ GT for around $5000 and be at about 420RWHP with a Ford tune.

[ February 15, 2008, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: FoX GT ]

--------------------
- AED -
03 Cobra 10th anni 3.4 Whipple 9.47@141
2012 Mustang GT 10.98@125
2015 Mustang GT

Bring what you got and hope its enough!

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks man....I am feversihly looking up things on the net. As I dont want to spend 13-30k on a car and end up with crap. But what sets the 04 Cobras apart from the 04's if you dont mind me asking?

And actually I mis-stated I dont think I am going as high as 06 with the car. 50k is out of the question...lol. Wifey isnt having that. At this point she cannot drive a stick, but I dont want her learning on this kind of car either. [patriot] But I have a fox she can learn on. She always says she dont want to learn to drive stick until we bag a Corvette.

[ February 15, 2008, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: N8 ]

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
She dont want to learn to drive stick until we bag a Corvette.

Well what are you waiting for? [Razz]

I've seen 03/04 C5 Z06's with 30k-ish miles for mid 20's lately I think. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black 02 SS:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

[Big Grin]

X2!! [patriot]

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by Black 02 SS:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

I've seen 03/04 C5 Z06's with 30k-ish miles for mid 20's lately I think. [Big Grin]

2 seaters come after the kids are gone. [patriot] Plus if I get a vette I want no other butts to have been in the seats but ours.

[ February 15, 2008, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Any info or comments on the roush stangs? I love the look of them. This is one I am going to look at hopefully this weekend
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/574556065.html

I know it has lambo doors, but I still like the scheme

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
Any info or comments on the roush stangs? I love the look of them. This is one I am going to look at hopefully this weekend
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/574556065.html

I know it has lambo doors, but I still like the scheme

hey n8 i was just going to send you that link...also ive seen a few 05-06 saleens for around 29k if your in the market for one....i envy you for getting one the wife will drive my gf wouldnt consider a 5-6 speed...hell she cant drive an auto
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Man I feel like a little ass kid. I may check out this saleen as well http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/573503214.html

I just dont fully know what is what with all the cars. But with the info given and my web search getting a bit better. Truthfully my wife will still probably drive her c70 or any stang I buy. But I have to make her feel good by including her [patriot]

lethal2v
¯
Member # 8213

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lethal2v  Ford pictures for lethal2v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If driving a stick is out of the question then id try and find a low mileage auto Mach 1.
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i honestly dont know where to start since i have so much to say. i'll say this though.......

the roushes are nice, but unless its a stage 3 i wouldnt get one.
saleens IMO, are nicer and faster than the roushes. that black saleen is nice but aint supercharged, BUT its very nice and well taken car of as far as i can see. overall i'd get the 03/04 cobra, very nice cars my dream car infact, but they are meant to be driven so might aswell get a saleen. u can also always procharge the saleen and it'll quite fast. so its up to u.......good luck [patriot]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Beasty5.0
¯
Member # 2935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beasty5.0  Ford pictures for Beasty5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have my 2003 Silver Cobra for sale. Below is a link to my Craigslist ad. I have a potential buyer coming this weekend to look at her, but he might just be window shopping. Let me know.

2003 Silver Cobra

Posts: 1055 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You fucker, Id kill for an 03 or 04 cobra.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Man I am so leaning towards a Roush just for the looks alone. The stage 3 ones are grip tho. If I go that route I would have to finance.

Gonna be checking this weekend. Beasty gonna send you a email through cl. I dont think I saw a phone number in the ad

FriscoNotch
¯
Member # 5916

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FriscoNotch  Ford pictures for FriscoNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Roush Stage 3 FTW!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xu2bTvwBotc

--------------------
'93 SSP 5.0 Police Coupe
'83 GLX 5.0 Coupe
'79 Ghia Coupe

SVT'S FINEST
¯
Member # 7522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVT'S FINEST  Ford pictures for SVT'S FINEST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have an 03 cobra!

i love it!

im a chick and its not that hard to learn stick... im sure if your wife learns how to drive it, she'll love that car that much more!

maybe go test drive the different ones around at a dealership and see how you liek each one handles, and then look into private sellers

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
Man I am so leaning towards a Roush just for the looks alone. The stage 3 ones are grip tho. If I go that route I would have to finance.

Gonna be checking this weekend. Beasty gonna send you a email through cl. I dont think I saw a phone number in the ad

like i said, wont settle for less than a stage 3, GO BIG OR GO HOME [Big Grin]

but its ur money, ur choice.

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by SVT'S FINEST:

maybe go test drive the different ones around at a dealership and see how you liek each one handles, and then look into private sellers

Exactly what I am doing this weekend. And maybe next too. Thats a bit too much bread to just drop without looking around.

Thanks all, and thanks for that Roush vid. That pushed me a bit closer to a Roush.

Chris C.
¯
Member # 1949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris C.  Ford pictures for Chris C.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want the looks go for the Roush or Saleen.

If you want the power get the cobra (you can always put a kit on the cobra. I still think anything less than a Stage 3 or 281-sc are just GT's with a body kit and some suspenion stuff....

No matter what the cobra has a better power plant.

I had an 03 and i wish i never lemoned the thing.
[patriot]

--------------------
-1990 Coupe

Posts: 636 | From: San Jose, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
Plus if I get a vette I want no other butts to have been in the seats but ours.

Any pics of said butts????

Man you should get a supra!!! Any mkiv tt 6 speed will hold its value and if anything prices will go up!

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cobra

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

2003 SVT ROUSH
¯
Member # 7976

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2003 SVT ROUSH  Ford pictures for 2003 SVT ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with the 03 04 cobra , i just got lucky and got one of the Roush edition cobras , but finding somebody selling a real one would be difficult .
but man the 03 04 is where its at power train wise and they look awsome

--------------------
Snake N Bake

Mach103
¯
Member # 746

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach103  Ford pictures for Mach103    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy a Mach 1, cant go wrong there. Oh wait heres one.Ill give it too you for a good price. Mach 1

--------------------
2007 Ford Mustang GT
1995 Mustang GT Sapphire Blue(SOLD)
2003 Mustang Mach 1 (SOLD)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mach103:
Buy a Mach 1, cant go wrong there. Oh wait heres one.Ill give it too you for a good price. Mach 1

yup real clean car too nate, seen it in person wish i had the fundage. [Big Grin]

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com