Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Tips on Pumping Gas? True?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tips on Pumping Gas? True?
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some of this i believe but some of it i am not sure on. I will try it next time i fill up, atleast the slow pumping cause i usually top it off and i can get another gallon or so in from that so maybe this explains why?

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS--GOOD INFORMATION.

I don 't know what you guys are paying for
gasoline....Here in California we are also paying
higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work
is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are
some tricks to get more of your money's worth for
every gallon.

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San
Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a
24-hour period through the pipeline. One day is
diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular
and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with
a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early
morning when the ground temperature is still cold.
Remember that all service stations have their storage
tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the
more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline
expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the
evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the
petroleum business, the specific gravity and the
temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel,
ethanol and other petroleum products plays an
important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a
big deal for this business. But the service stations
do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of
the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see
that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle,
and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low
speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created
while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a
vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate,
some
of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor.
Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the
underground storage tank so you're getting less
worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your
gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for
this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less
air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates
faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks
have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as
zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so
it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations,
here where I work, every truck that we load is
temperature compensated so that every gallon is
actually the exact amount.

Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping
into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO
NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred
up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick
up some of the dirt that normally settles on the
bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your
money

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot]
Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Interesting....

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
These tips are true, I've looked into this exact email in the past.

[patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont believe it...seen this email too. ive pumped gas in the morning - afternoon and night and cant tell the difference. using the slowest pump setting? who wants to wait longer for a fill up... and i always fill up when the stations are being refilled...and i havent had to change my fuel filters any sooner than expected... i think its bs.
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the station being refilled one i can see as true because water and dirt do get into fuel and when they are filling up the tanks i am sure it mixes all that crap on the bottom up with the gas.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 532Fastback:
the station being refilled one i can see as true because water and dirt do get into fuel and when they are filling up the tanks i am sure it mixes all that crap on the bottom up with the gas.

someones been tellin me that for years but i never believed it and my cars dont think so either..lol
444_C.I.D.
¯
Member # 2956

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 444_C.I.D.  Ford pictures for 444_C.I.D.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
These tips are true, I've looked into this exact email in the past.

[patriot]

ALL are true [patriot]
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BUKSING:
quote:
Originally posted by 532Fastback:

someones been tellin me that for years but i never believed it and my cars dont think so either..lol
You and your car can keep thinking that [Wink]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Ls1camaro00
¯
Member # 6238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ls1camaro00  Ford pictures for Ls1camaro00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i treid it just right now [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Two-Gun Motorsports-
*Dont Run Your Mouth If U Cnt Run Your Car*
2000 camaro ss - Cali Stock :D

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All are absolutely true! Let's say you'll save 5 cents on every visit (a very liberal estimate)

If you go to the gas station once a week, that would be $2.60 in your pocket every a year. So, after 60 years of freezing your ass pumping gas in cold weather, topping off your half full tank (doubling your trips to the gas station) and waiting for the slow setting to fill it...you'll save yourself a whopping $156 in your lifetime.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All that stuff is basically happy talk..imo. I think adjusting ones driving style to improve miles per gallon would have a more significant impact on your wallet.
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here is my adjustment. I have to admit that paying that much money for better gass milage will take alot of years to pay for its self. but it sure has been a fun adjustment lol
 -

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was getting about 15 - 16mpg in town with my Mustang, started running a short belt (no p/s, a/c, smog) and now I'm getting 19.5 - 20mpg in town.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:
All that stuff is basically happy talk..imo. I think adjusting ones driving style to improve miles per gallon would have a more significant impact on your wallet.

So true. I went from 26-27 MPG to 32-33 MPG just by driving the speed limit and never going over 2900 rpms in my VW GTI VR6.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not worth the hassle on such a small scale. those pipelines are pumping 3000 barrels an hour on each line

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

SheerSliver03
¯
Member # 6589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheerSliver03  Ford pictures for SheerSliver03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you pump cold gas into your tank it should be more condensed right? say you fill your tank up and only drive it a few miles and park the car all day. wouldnt the heat from the day cause the gas to expand within the tank and cause some major problems.

I say get the hell over it, using all of these you might save a dollar every time you fill up.

--------------------
2003 Altima SE
1970 Mustang Coupe *Sold

Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stirring sediment "dirt [Roll Eyes] " is true but the only benefit of avoiding thi is to your fuel filter. Gas vapors and evaporation...are you kidding me?

Evaporation is not based on negative volume "air space" it is based on surface area. The tank is sealed and vents only if over pressurized due to a rapid increase in temperature or other external factor. How many threads have you read about "stale" gasoline that was left in the tank over a length of time? According to this article the tank should be dry.

The reason for the floating tank top is not to eliminate evaporation but to eliminate air, namely oxygen. If there is no air in the tank above the liquid there is no room for gasoline vapors to form. This is why tank fires occur at the rubber seals of the roof outside the tank...they're a bitch to put out!

The only reason for fueling slowly is spillage.

As the article states the gasoline in the ground is cool (Avg. 64.7F)and as it enters the warmer tank it expands...Oh my God! So what. ts the same amount of gasoline. You aren't paying any more for it. You pay for the amount that flows through the pump not the amount in the tank. If the gas came from storage and was measured for price, then warmed, then measured for volume and and you paid the difference between the two THEN you would be getting screwed. 10 gallons at the pump is 10 gallons in your tank.

The biggest loss comes from expansion and the gas over flowing the tank. Ever wonder why when you fill fast all of the sudden the tank is overflowing then it's gone? The rapid heating creates bubbles in the gasoline (like boiling water) before it settles out. The only time it really matters to fill slow is at the very end to avoid spilling it on the ground. The speed does not affect the accuracy of the pump measurements either.

Ahh I give up...Read this

http://i-r-squared.blogspot.com/2007/07/hot-gas-is-bunch-of-hot-air.html

[patriot]

--------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by mustanghp950:
if you pump cold gas into your tank it should be more condensed right? say you fill your tank up and only drive it a few miles and park the car all day. wouldnt the heat from the day cause the gas to expand within the tank and cause some major problems.

I say get the hell over it, using all of these you might save a dollar every time you fill up.

Thats what the carbon canister is for, it takes the gasolines fumes and puts it through the canister before releasing them to the atmosphere.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Hozr:
Stirring sediment "dirt [Roll Eyes] " is true but the only benefit of avoiding thi is to your fuel filter. Gas vapors and evaporation...are you kidding me?

Evaporation is not based on negative volume "air space" it is based on surface area. The tank is sealed and vents only if over pressurized due to a rapid increase in temperature or other external factor. How many threads have you read about "stale" gasoline that was left in the tank over a length of time? According to this article the tank should be dry.

The reason for the floating tank top is not to eliminate evaporation but to eliminate air, namely oxygen. If there is no air in the tank above the liquid there is no room for gasoline vapors to form. This is why tank fires occur at the rubber seals of the roof outside the tank...they're a bitch to put out!

The only reason for fueling slowly is spillage.

As the article states the gasoline in the ground is cool (Avg. 64.7F)and as it enters the warmer tank it expands...Oh my God! So what. ts the same amount of gasoline. You aren't paying any more for it. You pay for the amount that flows through the pump not the amount in the tank. If the gas came from storage and was measured for price, then warmed, then measured for volume and and you paid the difference between the two THEN you would be getting screwed. 10 gallons at the pump is 10 gallons in your tank.

The biggest loss comes from expansion and the gas over flowing the tank. Ever wonder why when you fill fast all of the sudden the tank is overflowing then it's gone? The rapid heating creates bubbles in the gasoline (like boiling water) before it settles out. The only time it really matters to fill slow is at the very end to avoid spilling it on the ground. The speed does not affect the accuracy of the pump measurements either.

Ahh I give up...Read this

http://i-r-squared.blogspot.com/2007/07/hot-gas-is-bunch-of-hot-air.html

[patriot]

So if it expands when it gets into your tank doesn't that mean you will pump less than you need because the gasoline will condense over night in your tank?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

KINGROY
¯
Member # 7736

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KINGROY  Ford pictures for KINGROY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bah hum bug [Mad] Gas is still too expensive no matter how you try to squeeze nickel out of it. Lets market the flux capacitor and run our cars off of banana peels old McDonald cheese burgers. [Cool]

--------------------
2003 Cobra Vert
2005 Prius

Posts: 1642 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

quote:
Originally posted by sharkattack:
quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:

So true. I went from 26-27 MPG to 32-33 MPG just by driving the speed limit and never going over 2900 rpms in my VW GTI VR6.
i agree... the email is still bs...i get more savings by not driving so hard...but then again i cant help it... its only money and i enjoy burning it [burnout]

[ November 29, 2007, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: BUKSING ]

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early
morning when the ground temperature is still cold.
Remember that all service stations have their storage
tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the
more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline
expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the
evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the
petroleum business, the specific gravity and the
temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel,
ethanol and other petroleum products plays an
important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a
big deal for this business. But the service stations
do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

[I don't buy this one. Once you get below the surface by around 5 feet (less in most parts of CA) the ground temperature is about 55 degrees for a long way down. I would guess that the service station tanks are at least 6 ft plus below ground level.]

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of
the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see
that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle,
and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low
speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created
while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a
vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate,
some
of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor.
Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the
underground storage tank so you're getting less
worth for your money.

[Ah! When guys with 400 plus HP cars start worrying about the loss of fuel due to fumes that they are not getting it's time to buy a VW bug.]

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your
gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for
this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less
air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates
faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks
have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as
zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so
it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations,
here where I work, every truck that we load is
temperature compensated so that every gallon is
actually the exact amount.

[While this one is technically true, how long does it take between fillups with 400+ HP?]

Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping
into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO
NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred
up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick
up some of the dirt that normally settles on the
bottom.

[Only one I agree with in this lineup. Not just dirt but water.]

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com