Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Modification law???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Modification law???
Termin8Him
¯
Member # 7895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Termin8Him  Ford pictures for Termin8Him    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got pulled over today by CHP, again. this time because my "exhaust was too loud". i explained to the cop that i had cats and mufflers, but he said that it was illegal to modify the exhaust. he then said that he didnt want to open my hood because it would probably have an air filter, headers, and any other modifications. I told him that everything i had on my car was legal but he still came back at me that any modification was illegal. he then just gave me a ticket for not having my proof of insurance. is this true or was the cop just talking BS??

--------------------
-whippled termy
-07 silverado

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cops use a variety of scare tactics. don't worry about it [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He's full of it.

On a side note, stop rollin' around in 3rd gear and it will draw a lot less attention to ya... [Big Grin]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I may be wrong, but I believe the, "Clean Air Act of 1979" made it illegal to tamper with exhaust. I also found this on the DMV website, "27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified."
Termin8Him
¯
Member # 7895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Termin8Him  Ford pictures for Termin8Him    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if thats so, would muffler shops get in trouble for installing flowmasters or any other kind of high performance exhaust??

--------------------
-whippled termy
-07 silverado

rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Termin8Him:
if thats so, would muffler shops get in trouble for installing flowmasters or any other kind of high performance exhaust??

"Sale of Exhaust Systems
27150.1. No person engaged in a business that involves the selling of motor vehicle exhaust systems, or parts thereof, including, but not limited to, mufflers, shall offer for sale, sell, or install, a motor vehicle exhaust system, or part thereof, including, but not limited to, a muffler, unless it meets the regulations and standards applicable pursuant to this article. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

A violation of this section is a misdemeanor."

I am by far no expert just posting what I read
Here is a link to the table of contents:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c5a2.htm

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You drive around without insurance?

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Termin8Him
¯
Member # 7895

are you a cop??

--------------------
-whippled termy
-07 silverado

spegull03
¯
Member # 2842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for spegull03  Ford pictures for spegull03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
are you a cop??

have your insurance card next time and they probably wouldnt hassle you as much [Wink]
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

it really doesn't matter. Now days when they run your plate it says whether or not the car is insured. Plus, if you do not have insurance at some point the DMV will cancel your registration.
spegull03
¯
Member # 2842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for spegull03  Ford pictures for spegull03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rgtrahn:
it really doesn't matter. Now days when they run your plate it says whether or not the car is insured. Plus, if you do not have insurance at some point the DMV will cancel your registration.

well obviously it does if he got a ticket for it [Roll Eyes]
Termin8Him
¯
Member # 7895

cop said once i show that i had insurance to court they'll just desmiss it...

--------------------
-whippled termy
-07 silverado

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sometimes they do, if the judge is nice, but normally they dont do that. Unless you can prove you had ins at the time of the ticket but didnt have proof on you. That DMV info is deep, they are breaking the law selling it to you, and you are breaking the law buying parts thats supposedly smog legal. And and yeah roll around in 4th or something. I head dudes rolling in 2nd and 3rd, that is just waiting for harrassment.

good luck, sounds like a bs ticket. well a BS stop, really shouldnt be rolling without ins.

[ October 21, 2007, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I may be wrong, but I believe the, "Clean Air Act of 1979" made it illegal to tamper with exhaust. I also found this on the DMV website, "27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified."

I believe that provisions simply states that you can't modify the exhaust to the extent that the decibel level exceeds the maximum level set in the other sections that it references.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Your still required to have proof of insurance with you.

16028. (a) Upon the demand of a peace officer pursuant to
subdivision (b) or upon the demand of a peace officer or traffic
collision investigator pursuant to subdivision (c), every person who
drives a motor vehicle upon a highway shall provide evidence of
financial responsibility for the vehicle that is in effect at the
time the demand is made. However, a peace officer shall not stop a
vehicle for the sole purpose of determining whether the vehicle is
being driven in violation of this subdivision

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

quote:
Originally posted by 69 Resto-Mod Coupe:
quote:

I think I was misunderstood. I meant that a peace officer knows if a car is insured or not when he/she runs your plates. Furthermore, you can simply write your policy number on your registration and that suffices as proof.
TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 69 Resto-Mod Coupe:
quote:

I think I was misunderstood. I meant that a peace officer knows if a car is insured or not when he/she runs your plates. Furthermore, you can simply write your policy number on your registration and that suffices as proof.
True... you can write it on a napkin if you want. It just has to be written down.

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
are you a cop??

Yes I am. So, did you have insurance at the time and just didn't have proof or are you the type that rolls without insurance?

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
quote:
are you a cop??

Yes I am. So, did you have insurance at the time and just didn't have proof or are you the type that rolls without insurance?
i thought you were a driver [Big Grin] .. [burnout]

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know about not being able to modify your exhaust but I know there are regulations on how loud your car can be.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make em get a search warrant to pop your hood,then laugh at how stupid they look when everything is CARB legal [Razz] ,seriously.
Theyre going to far nowadays.

[ October 22, 2007, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: 50DADDY ]

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com