Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » great, my rear diff. is about to go...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: great, my rear diff. is about to go...
spegull03
¯
Member # 2842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for spegull03  Ford pictures for spegull03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its been howling for a little while, and i had it looked at today. as soon as the guy took off the fill plug you could see all the metal shavings on the plug [Frown] he says its at least the bearings, but based on the amount of metal it could be more than that. fvck.

so what are my options? do I just get the bearings replaced (around $800) or do i go for a buildup (around 1500)? if built up, what parts?

so for now im driving a car with a time bomb in the differential [Frown]

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thirteen Twenty  Ford pictures for Thirteen Twenty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what year stang?? 8.8? what gears do you have in it, if thier stock it's a good time for a swap. I may have some time to help you get it done cheaper.
Posts: 647 | From: union city | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
spegull03
¯
Member # 2842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for spegull03  Ford pictures for spegull03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Thirteen Twenty:
what year stang?? 8.8? what gears do you have in it, if thier stock it's a good time for a swap. I may have some time to help you get it done cheaper.

03 gt, 4.10's, and im way up north in chico with no mustang shops in sight [Mad]
OSH Zack
¯
Member # 7667

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSH Zack  Ford pictures for OSH Zack  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gl man, wish you could make it down her for a one day job :'/ [patriot]

--------------------
89 GT - $ = bitch's

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
True chunks of shavings or just goo on the plug? You'll see goo on ANY setup, I don't care who did them or what the setup is. It's wear...

Fill it with fresh 85w140 (non-syn) with friction modifier...and run it till she goes.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
spegull03
¯
Member # 2842

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
True chunks of shavings or just goo on the plug? You'll see goo on ANY setup, I don't care who did them or what the setup is. It's wear...

Fill it with fresh 85w140 (non-syn) with friction modifier...and run it till she goes.

you know when you put a magnet on a bunch of shavings and they all stand on end around the magnet? thats kinda what it looks like.

say i get another 5k out of it before i decide i cant bear the sound anymore, then what? rebuild, upgrade? I guess I basically need to get the cover off and see what it actually looks like in there.

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why wouldn't you just have John rebuild it now rather than wait for it to blow on the freeway and cause more damage to the housing, other cars possibly etc?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

spegull03
¯
Member # 2842

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
Why wouldn't you just have John rebuild it now rather than wait for it to blow on the freeway and cause more damage to the housing, other cars possibly etc?

its tough to get down to fairfield since i have school every weekday and work weekends. ill be in fairfield sunday but i have no idea when the next opportunity will be. but I do want to take care of it sooner than later.
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
know anyone that has a trailer to borrow? find a friend and tow it down.

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

spegull03
¯
Member # 2842

ok so if i do overhaul the whole thing, what should i be looking for? a 31 spline f150 assembly + axles etc? I only have maybe 15k on the gears, and 35k on the whole car.
Bizob
¯
Member # 3768

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bizob  Ford pictures for Bizob  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damm smeegul that sucks, especially with just 35k miles. Might as well rebuild the sucker now. You always wanted those 31 spline [patriot]
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like the perfect opportunity for a 9 inch!

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

and add some of the lucas additive and drive till the wheels fall off!
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com