Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » John Force "Lucky to have my Legs"

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: John Force "Lucky to have my Legs"
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone see the crash? Crazy he survived. Looked hella bad

John Force recovering from surgery, 'lucky to have my legs'
Updated 9h 29m ago | Comment | Recommend E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this
DALLAS (AP) — John Force was able to stand and shuffle his feet Monday, saying he's "lucky to have my legs" a day after a wreck at the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex hospitalized the drag-racing star.

Force has a compound fracture of his left ankle, a lacerated right knee, a dislocated left wrist and abrasions on two fingers on his right hand. He had screws inserted into his ankle and temporary pins placed in his wrist, said David Densmore, a spokesman for John Force Racing.

Force's prognosis is "very good" after six hours of surgery Sunday following the most severe accident he's experienced in more than three decades of racing, Densmore said.

"I just feel so helpless and vulnerable," Force said in comments released by Densmore. "I have had some burns, but I have gotten out of every crash and never had a scratch. I have never had a broken bone, so this is all new to me."

With the help of physical therapists, Force was able to stand Monday with his weight on his right leg and move both his feet, although doing so was painful.

"I gnawed off some fingers and toes when they had me trying to stand," he said.

Densmore said Force will miss the rest of the NHRA season, which has three scheduled dates remaining in Dinwiddie, Va., Las Vegas and Pomona, Calif. Force is fourth in the Funny Car standings.

Force, a 14-time champion, wrecked Sunday while racing Funny Car rival Kenny Bernstein.

The NHRA is investigating the accident, NHRA spokesman Anthony Vestal said. Several laboratories will examine parts of the tires and broken chassis.

"The car pulled in half and I have never seen that ever," Force said.

Force said he remembers how the crash began and how it ended, with emergency crews pulling him out of the broken remains of his car. But he recalls nothing in between.

Force also absolved Bernstein of any fault in the crash.

"He is a good friend and a great competitor and he did nothing wrong," Force said. "In fact, he did a great driving job."

Force, 58, was airlifted to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, where he underwent surgery. He was alert and conscious following the accident and a CT scan came back negative for internal injuries, team spokesman Elon Werner said.

Daughter Ashley Force, also a Funny Car driver, pulled out of the semifinals. John Force, who won his race with Bernstein, could have met her in the finals for the first time had both won, Densmore said.

"I am sure that he will be somewhat depressed when he realizes his circumstances," Densmore said. "He had just driven his way into contention for another championship."

Force's wife, Laurie; Ashley; and son-in-law Robert Hight — also a Funny Car driver — were with him at the hospital. Force's other three daughters were in California, Densmore said.

Force and his four daughters are the subjects of a reality TV show on A&E called Driving Force. Three of his daughters are drivers and one is an executive in John Force Racing.

Force has had at least one other serious accident in his career, Densmore said. An accident in Memphis, in 1992 left Force with second-degree burns on his face and hands.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HOLY SHI*
i watched that crash a few times, that was insane!

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln
¯
Member # 7637

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln  Ford pictures for Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn it, Ashley Force wrecked in July while racing Burnstien in Seattle as listed in the Nov. Hot Rod Mags back page. I guess if Burnstein can wreck everyone he will be the champion this year.

--------------------
Son, Ya gonna drive me to drinkin if ya don't stop driving that Hot--Rod--Lincoln.

Posts: 46 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln:
Damn it, Ashley Force wrecked in July while racing Burnstien in Seattle as listed in the Nov. Hot Rod Mags back page. I guess if Burnstein can wreck everyone he will be the champion this year.

Nope, Kenny DQ'd because he crossed the center line. Force won the round.
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
glad hes ok. FORCE TEAM [dance]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com