Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » have a question about the diesel F 250

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: have a question about the diesel F 250
93redcobra
CAFords OG
Member # 1344

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93redcobra  Ford pictures for 93redcobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im looking at buying a 2005 F-250 diesel, any issues I should be aware of before I make my decision. The only thing i will be towing is a single car enclosed trailer.

any info would help

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 2006, I heard that the 2005 had alot of issues being the first one to come out with that new look, I havent had any issues with mine I have 30K miles on it now.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WRS92GT  Ford pictures for WRS92GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are totally sold on a 6.0L then if you can afford to go with an 06 or 07 year model. The 03 through 05's are piles of shit. Do your own research if you want to just type in Navistar VS Ford Motor Company and their ongoing lawsuits back and forth with each other over warranty costs on the 6.0L and more so the new 6.4L.

I'd pick up either an 03 7.3L or an 07 5.9L Cummins H.O. if it were me.

--------------------
01 F250 PSD Crew 4X4

Posts: 455 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
93redcobra
CAFords OG
Member # 1344

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93redcobra  Ford pictures for 93redcobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the info
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats the mileage on the truck you wanna buy? As long as it has some warranty life left I'd get it. All model year 6.0 diesels have problems, not just in Ford's but in the International applications also (Ford isnt the only one that uses a 6.0). The common problem with a 2005 are high pressure oil leaks that will cause a no start, dies while driving, or runs rough, but that is common with 2005-2007 6.0's. In 2005 Ford went with a different style high pressure oil pump with a quick disconnect fitting feeding the branch tube, that fitting tends to break apart, causing a leak. There is a bracket that is to be installed when the fitting is replaced, works very well. When I talk about leak it's not an external leak that you will see, its a leak in the high pressure oil system inside the engine. There are no really 2005 specific problems. All 2005-2007's have high pressure oil leak problems at one time or another, 2003-2004 have calibration issues, and all model years leak oil sometimes. If youre looking at a 6.0 and have driven one, forget about a 7.3, you won't be happy with the power. In stock form the 6.0 has alot more power than a 7.3, in seat of the pants and in towing. As long as the truck is within the 5 year / 100,000 mile factory warranty you shouldn't worry.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And the lawsuits have to deal with warranty costs between Ford and Navistar, and also supply issues. Navistar dosen't want to cover portions of warranty repairs back to Ford. And when the 08' was being built in Job 1 there were no 6.4 engines being supplied for a short time, which halted production for a week or two. It has nothing to do with the quality of the Ford product.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

93redcobra
CAFords OG
Member # 1344

the truck i was looking at was a 2005 with 27k on it.

anyone know anything about the chevy or dodge diesels?

WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WRS92GT  Ford pictures for WRS92GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93redcobra:
the truck i was looking at was a 2005 with 27k on it.

anyone know anything about the chevy or dodge diesels?

If you're looking at GM's diesel lineup go with the 06/07 LBZ Duramax. It is 6.6L 360HP/660TQ in stock form. Lightly modified they haul major ass.

Dodge wise the 5.9L Cummins series has been around since 1989. It's most current model is the ISBE version which pumps out 325HP/610TQ in stock form. It is by far the best light duty diesel engine application on the market today. The third gen series Dodge pickups are totally redesigned. They are really durable and awesome trucks in quality. Plus Dodge is practically giving them away price wise. I would recommend NOT looking into any of the emissions control version diesels which are basically any 08 model year diesel pickup.

--------------------
01 F250 PSD Crew 4X4

69grandecj
¯
Member # 5794

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 69grandecj  Ford pictures for 69grandecj  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an '06 and its been fine and I head '05s are good too. The '03s and the '04s, to some extend, have some problematic ones out there.

--------------------
1969 Lime Gold Grande 428CJ 1 of 37
1969 Indian Fire SportsRoof
1989 Black GT Convertible 22k miles
2006 F-250 PSD Lariat CC

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One of my friends on the engine keep telling me the 99 Diesels with the 6.3L are the best Ford ever made. Something about the engine never breaking down. He says Ford got rid of the motor because none of the trucks ever saw the inside of the Ford Repair shop. He drives a Chevy so... [Wink]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:
One of my friends on the engine keep telling me the 99 Diesels with the 6.3L are the best Ford ever made. Something about the engine never breaking down. He says Ford got rid of the motor because none of the trucks ever saw the inside of the Ford Repair shop. He drives a Chevy so... [Wink]

The real reason Ford ditched the 7.3L 444 CI diesel powerplant is that it would not meet US Federal emissions testing standards. The 6.0L 365 CI engine no longer met the 2010 EPA standards so they switched to the 6.4L 390 CI twin turbo setup with a DPF system. Diesel particulate filter systems which enable the engines to have a reburn stage to burn off any sulfur based carbons that have not burned off completely. If you look at any DPF equipped diesel they will generally have very clean exhaust tips.

The best years of the 7.3L were 01 through late 03. All of the bugs were worked out and it was a virtually indestructable engine. The 4R100 on the otherhand is a pile of dogshit.

The 7.3L 444 CI is not really that much smaller than the powerplant in most CDF/USFS Internationals equipped with DT466E's. They are only 7.6L 466's and rated at 250HP.

Either way Navistar used to build a great engine for light duty applications before the EPA started their tree hugging fag campaign against diesels.

--------------------
01 F250 PSD Crew 4X4

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We've seen "a few" of the 6.0's in our shop with head gasket problems. The "fix/help" is to replace the head bolts with ARP studs.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WRS92GT:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:

The real reason Ford ditched the 7.3L 444 CI diesel powerplant is that it would not meet US Federal emissions testing standards. The 6.0L 365 CI engine no longer met the 2010 EPA standards so they switched to the 6.4L 390 CI twin turbo setup with a DPF system. Diesel particulate filter systems which enable the engines to have a reburn stage to burn off any sulfur based carbons that have not burned off completely. If you look at any DPF equipped diesel they will generally have very clean exhaust tips.

The best years of the 7.3L were 01 through late 03. All of the bugs were worked out and it was a virtually indestructable engine. The 4R100 on the otherhand is a pile of dogshit.

The 7.3L 444 CI is not really that much smaller than the powerplant in most CDF/USFS Internationals equipped with DT466E's. They are only 7.6L 466's and rated at 250HP.

Either way Navistar used to build a great engine for light duty applications before the EPA started their tree hugging fag campaign against diesels.

good info thanks!

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com