Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Home Network troubleshooting

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Home Network troubleshooting
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Situation:

I am trying to hook up a home network with my desktop and my laptop. The desktop is wired to my router and the laptop is wireless. I also want to use my printer FROM the laptop THROUGH the desktop (print from anywhere, so to speak).

Problem:

I have run the "Network Setup Wizard" more than once. The first time I ran it, I was able to share files ONE WAY. I could reign total control of the laptop FROM the desktop but all attempts to access the desktop FROM the laptop were unsuccessful. Also, I couldn't "find" the printer FROM my laptop.

Conclusion, so far:

All other attempts to "re-network" were even more unsuccessful. This is a simple process to set everything up, however, I have somehow been unable to master the **** thing. I need help.

Request:

If anyone can give me a step by step process on how to get my home network up and running, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you guys (and gals).

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no need to "network", really...
i have 3 systems at home and just "share" out your printer, then connect to it from the "run" command by typing:

\\workstations name\

you should then see your printer that you shared. double-click it from your laptop and it should set it up.

does this answer your question?
i assume that your're running DHCP from your router and both your systems are pulling IP's from there. to share our your printer, right-click it and select "share", then select to whom. if you select "everyone", i don't think you'll need a defined username/password.

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by castor:
no need to "network", really...
i have 3 systems at home and just "share" out your printer, then connect to it from the "run" command by typing:

\\workstations name\

you should then see your printer that you shared. double-click it from your laptop and it should set it up.

does this answer your question?
i assume that your're running DHCP from your router and both your systems are pulling IP's from there. to share our your printer, right-click it and select "share", then select to whom. if you select "everyone", i don't think you'll need a defined username/password.

what he said

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I tried to run \\MSHOME\ from my laptop but it's telling me the "network path is not found". However, when I do a little searching and I view the network properties on my laptop, my workgroup name turns out to, in fact, be MSHOME. I'm still lost.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
using the computer that is connected to your printer
-start
-control panel
-printers and faxes
-right click the printer you are using
-left click sharing
-click the box or circle that says sharing and click ok

from the laptop
-start
-control panel
-printers and faxes
-on the left column "printer task" left click "add printer"
-next
-click the box that says a network printer or printer that is connected to another computer
-click the box that says browse for a printer
-find your desktop computer which should be under nder mshome or workgroup
-click the + that is to the left of the desktop computer name and the printer should pop up
-click ok

castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Quick 88LX:
I tried to run \\MSHOME\ from my laptop but it's telling me the "network path is not found". However, when I do a little searching and I view the network properties on my laptop, my workgroup name turns out to, in fact, be MSHOME. I'm still lost.

\\your workstation's name here\

you're not looking for your "network" name.

so, if your workstation's [computer's name, not your laptop] name is called "mustang", the syntax would be:

\\mustang\

then hit enter. you'll need to "Share" your printer first and give it a "share" name.

to find our your computer's name, right-click your "my computer" from your desktop if you're running windows2000, or, goto start and right-click your my computer and select "Properties." You should see your "workstation" name.

you know what, from a DOS prompt, type in:

ipconfig

then substitute your computer name in the syntax with the IP address instead. it should be something like 192.168.0.x.

i don't think you can use DNS so you have to use the IP address, but i'm not sure. it's been so long since i've been a network admin...

[ June 06, 2007, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: castor ]

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com