Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » looking for some advice on my pending move.. (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: looking for some advice on my pending move..
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So, I'm faced with shipping my cobra out to Ohio @ $1700 or driving it, which will cost alot in gas and depreciation... about the same, if not less...
neither of those I like, but if it happens, i'll drive it.

I can't tow the Cobra on a flat bed due to the ranger only having the 2.5L motor and a standard..

Here's what I'm thinking...

Trade my truck in for (hopefully $2500 to 2700) this guy ----> http://www.truckworldusa.com/vehicle/387/

I figure with tax, and other fee's it would be like $10,800. Doing rough math, guessing my trade in for $2500 that would leave me with $8300 to pay. I could do about $5,000 cash and then put the rest on a card.

I already want to get rid of the ranger, and I bet this 00 4x4 4.0 (or another year) should be able to handle the cobra on a flat bed fine.

Do you think it's worth it? Yes/no, why? I'm really stressing over this one, so any input would be helpful!!!

And please don't post up anything about sucking the d*cks of banks/financial institutions!! [Wink]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure that AOD trans in the Ranger would make it to Ohio. I'd get a full size truck if you're going to tow it to Ohio.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You would kill that Ranger by towing a loaded flatbed with it. Keep your current Ranger, ship the Cobra, and have $8300 in your pocket still. Buy a different truck when you get out there, they will be way cheaper...and look for a FULL size!

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
aod 4.0 ranger!

tow across the country???

Your nuts!

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
yipnip5.0
¯
Member # 175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yipnip5.0  Ford pictures for yipnip5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey einstein,

you'd still have to pay for gas for towing the Cobra, and you can bet gas for the 4x4 pulling a flat bed over the Rockies will cost a SHIT LOAD more than if you drive the Cobra itself.

Also, who the hell considers "depreciation" on a Mustang? No one thats who. If you are worried about the extra 800 miles you'll put on the car the week you drive it, cut back a little in the months to come.

As for your d*ick sucking problem, don't ask don't tell.
[Razz]

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yipnip5.0:
Also, who the hell considers "depreciation" on a Mustang? No one thats who.

:RaisesHand:

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The newer your car is the greater the rate of depreciation (regardless if you drive it 1500 miles to OH or not)

You want a car that doesn't depreciate, get a 64.5-95 and you have nothing to worry about.

Its just a car. Drive the fucker to Ohio and have some fun along the way. When you get there, pay a detail shop $150 and it will be cleaner than it is now.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im on pda. send me through pm details on your truck and pics. i need a pick up for reasonable price to trialer my bike in the back. thanks
Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have an 03' cobra vert, its june, and car needs to be in ohio. Is the car not road worthy? Is it in some tempermental state of tune? If not id drive that bad boy out there top down cruising in the summer breeze. Take some pics and enjoy the drive. The drive will prob provide you a great memory later in life.
Dag302
¯
Member # 4682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dag302  Ford pictures for Dag302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say ship it. You are going to do more damage to the new truck towing a car across country. Plus its a long way to tow. I have picked up cars in La a few times and even that sucks. Its not a great ride even in my full size vehicle. I would imagine the smaller truck would be all over the road and bouncing like hell. Ship it and if you want a new truck buy it once you get there.

--------------------
04 Expedition 4X4
93 Cobra #822
96 Cobra

Posts: 2842 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drive it. Make sure you get a bra(for the car that is..=P ). Also protect your rear bumper.
Good luck.

--------------------
=(

Fox Lightning
¯
Member # 7658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fox Lightning  Ford pictures for Fox Lightning    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
You would kill that Ranger by towing a loaded flatbed with it. Keep your current Ranger, ship the Cobra, and have $8300 in your pocket still. Buy a different truck when you get out there, they will be way cheaper...and look for a FULL size!

+1 [patriot]

--------------------
K7 Gsxr 750 (stock) 10.89 @ 137
68 Coupe N/A (stock) 302 t5 9" 12.2 ON 315-18" DR's (under construction)

Raider A's Warriors

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd drive the Cobra and sell your existing truck for a FULL SIZE one that can actually tow cars without question.

Drive the cobra and 3M blue tape the whole front end! It'll be a sick road trip!

444_C.I.D.
¯
Member # 2956

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 444_C.I.D.  Ford pictures for 444_C.I.D.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fox Lightning:
quote:

+1 [patriot]
[patriot] [patriot] thats what i would do.
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BUT YOU CAN'T MOVE TILL YOU SELL ME THAT SHIFT BOOT [Razz]

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How bout, JUST dont move! OR, Ill give you 2800 bucks for you to keep the cobra here, in my name! [patriot]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
vvv
quote:
Originally posted by 347_C.I.D.:
quote:
Originally posted by Fox Lightning:
quote:

+1 [patriot]
[patriot] [patriot] thats what i would do.
The ranger forums guys seem to say otherwise on a 4.0 auto ranger??? From the Ford documentation, it can haul about 6000lbs, which would be fine..
I was more looking at F-150s any how.. I just tossed that ranger out there, as it was the 1st link I saw open in my browser pane.

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
Also, who the hell considers "depreciation" on a Mustang? No one thats who.

:RaisesHand:
a BIG +1!!!!!

quote:
hey einstein,

you'd still have to pay for gas for towing the Cobra, and you can bet gas for the 4x4 pulling a flat bed over the Rockies will cost a SHIT LOAD more than if you drive the Cobra itself.

Also, who the hell considers "depreciation" on a Mustang? No one thats who. If you are worried about the extra 800 miles you'll put on the car the week you drive it, cut back a little in the months to come.

As for your d*ick sucking problem, don't ask don't tell.
[Razz]

You, einstein, apparently cannot read... a 500+rwhp cobra does not get great gas mileage. I should know, I own one. 2300+ miles paying for premuim all the way? ouch. And, just doing a guess here... 2 cars getting about the same gas mileage would add to more total gas used vs 1 truck towing a car..

And from here to Ohio is a few more miles than 800... it's about 800 from here to where I grew up in Washington... Ohio is about 2300 miles from here! I don't know where you got that number from anyhow. Anybody that owns a nice mustang, be it older or new, considers depreciation... that's a given, if you give a crap about your mustang.

And the "d*ck sucking problem" that you apparently -dont- understand was aimed toward a specific member on here that likes to give financial advice that only rich people can follow.

So, in the future... if you are going to offer advice, please read the persons' post first then give helpful comments! [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by i work with a wild hog:
BUT YOU CAN'T MOVE TILL YOU SELL ME THAT SHIFT BOOT [Razz]

Answer my last PM then!!!

quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:
You have an 03' cobra vert, its june, and car needs to be in ohio. Is the car not road worthy? Is it in some tempermental state of tune? If not id drive that bad boy out there top down cruising in the summer breeze. Take some pics and enjoy the drive. The drive will prob provide you a great memory later in life.

It's 100% driveable, the thing about it is that if I drive it out there... I need some way to get my crap out there... In my truck. Well, in order to do that... I have to have my bro drive it, so add the cost of flying him from WA to sac, then gas for the truck, meals for him and a ticket back. It's all just adding up! THis is why I asked for advice, lol.

Fwiw, it's $1700 to ship the Cobra.
I'm doung rough math here... so please bear with me!
Fly bro down 150.00 and 500 back to WA from OH and I'm guessing 600 for gas for the cobra... plus food and what not for a 2nd person.

You can see why I'm stressed!

quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
How bout, JUST dont move! OR, Ill give you 2800 bucks for you to keep the cobra here, in my name! [patriot]

Kinda obligated to now... I'll leave it here in your name bro! (I'll just sign the bank note over to you too!)

[ June 02, 2007, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
PM'd

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
$1700 to ship the car to Ohio!! [Eek!] I paid only $1000 to ship a car to Hawaii...

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Posts: 2131 | From: Bay Area(925) | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I take it your not selling your truck?

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

aslowdodge
¯
Member # 854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aslowdodge  Ford pictures for aslowdodge    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd drive it. Yes you'll put on a few miles but I don't think it makes that much difference on your car as far as value. It not a rare collectable.
Besides it will all balance out since the weather will prolly be so bad in the winterin ohio you won't put any miles on it at all whereas in california you prolly would because we have better weather.

--------------------
97 Viper GTS
Supercharged & a bit of juice
last dyno on 100 shot-770rwhp/908lb torque
tree stump pulling anyone?

Posts: 641 | From: pleasanton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

quote:
Originally posted by Venomized93:
So I take it your not selling your truck?

I'm seriously considering it.. I just found a f150 that I'm gonna go look at today.

quote:
Originally posted by J24I:
$1700 to ship the car to Ohio!! [Eek!] I paid only $1000 to ship a car to Hawaii...

I know!! I didnt understand why it's so damned high!

[ June 02, 2007, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

svt306snake
¯
Member # 1967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt306snake  Ford pictures for svt306snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
YOU MAY WANT TO SHOP AROUND MY VERT WENT FROM HERE TO SOUTH CAROLINA FOR 900 BUCKS

--------------------
F*** TPS MOTORSPORTS F *** TPS MOTORSPORTS THEY SUCK ASS

TEAM TRUE FORGED X 2 SPONSORED

CAPITAL MUSTANG C.C.

Posts: 5841 | From: SACRAMENTO "916" YA KNOW | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

quote:
Originally posted by svt306snake:
YOU MAY WANT TO SHOP AROUND MY VERT WENT FROM HERE TO SOUTH CAROLINA FOR 900 BUCKS

Who did you go through?

my current plan is to fly my bro down and have both of us drive the ranger and cobra there.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Venomized93:
[qb] So I take it your not selling your truck?

I'm seriously considering it.. I just found a f150 that I'm gonna go look at today.

Can you give me some quick details on the truck. Condition, miles, pics? Thanks. Im looking for a truck too.

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com