Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Buddy getting screwed by insurance, any advice?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Buddy getting screwed by insurance, any advice?
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy got rear ended by some lady when he was exiting a parking lot.

-

The damage is to the taillight, the housing, and the hatch.

She is insured. However, they now want to declare his car a total loss. They are offering him $3800 and he will get a salvage title for $500. This is a very clean Fox and I think this deal is bogus.

IMO the other party's insurance should pay whatever the cost required to put the car back the way it was, regardless of its value. but he called his own insurance and they told him it is normal to pay off the cost of the car and give salvage title.

If somebody rear ended me in my 93 Cobra, I wouldn't want their insurance offering me blue book!

What are his options?

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He could claim his own insurance and see what they can do. His insurance will just go after the responsible party.
FoRdGiRl
¯
Member # 6279

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoRdGiRl  Ford pictures for FoRdGiRl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IF THE DAMAGES ARE MOER THEN THE VALUE OF THE CAR(BLUE BOOK VALUE) THEN THEY SOMETIMES DO THAT BUT IF NOT THEN THEY SHOULD REPAIR IT DOESNT SEEM LIKE NE FRAME DAMAGE TO CAUSE A TOTAL LOSS

--------------------
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
total bullshit, i hate insurance companies

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

69grandecj
¯
Member # 5794

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 69grandecj  Ford pictures for 69grandecj  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The other party's insurance does not have to pay to repair the vehicle. They only pay the value of the vehicle, less salvage, and if it is lower than the estimate they'll total it. May suck but that's they way it has always been.

His best bet now is to try to prove to them that his car is worth more. Needs to find some comparable cars selling for more than he has been offered. The offer though doesn't seem too bad for a driver.

Also the damage doesn't seem like it would be $3000. Did they not find a used hatch or can't repair the one on the car?

[ May 23, 2007, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: 69grandecj ]

--------------------
1969 Lime Gold Grande 428CJ 1 of 37
1969 Indian Fire SportsRoof
1989 Black GT Convertible 22k miles
2006 F-250 PSD Lariat CC

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont think 3800 is a bad price..... the truth you would be lucky to get that in the streets.... but anyways it is not a total loss the most in damage is 1000

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rule of thumb: if your fox is valued much more than market value get the car appraised and insured at the updated appraised value. i know hindsight is 20/20. i insured my fox for 10k just in case something stupid happened to it beyond my control.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get three quotes for a repair but do NOT tell the body shop it's an insurance deal. Just say his girlfriend accidentally backed into it or something. Submit those three quotes to the insurance company and let them choose which, of those three shops, to go to.

But, like others have said, unless it's REALLY clean and/or low miles, $3800 sounds reasonable to me

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys, I passed all this along to my buddy.

Sounds like all of us here would be pretty much screwed in the same situation.

--------------------

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
were did your buddy get tht car?
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

I don't know, he's had it for a long time. Just put a bunch of money into it too.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com