Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Place to go wheeling/camping over memorial day? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Place to go wheeling/camping over memorial day?
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If my truck is running by the end of the week, my friend and I are thinking of doing a little wheeling/camping trip. Any ideas other than Hollister? That place is gonna be packed over the 3 day weekend. I was thinking of Frank Raines but don't know much about it.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going wheeling but no camping. So far I only have Sunday to wheel so I'm going to some hardcore private property trails. MUCH harder than anything in Hollister including Tank. Big off camber stuff. Lots of bad ass rigs. You'll see lots of built rigs flopped, broken, winching etc. And lots of HUGE ass buggies coming down. There's also lots of beginner and medium trails too. Good people, BBQ and food. Its local. If I can get out of Monday's family stuff I can also wheel Monday and I'd be down to go to Hollister, as long as my rig is still running after Sunday!

Frank Raines is even more of a kiddie park than Hollister!!! At least Hollister has Tank, vgrooves and jungle.

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My friend is cursed by hollister. Everytime he gets in, he'll break and be done for the day. Not even doing much either. Then you've got all the nasty poison oak.... bleh. We're looking for a place that's not going to be packed. Any other suggestions?

--------------------
94 GT

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Greenhorn up here will be packed no doubt.
I will be saving people from drowning at the American River or responding to accidents all memorial weekend so no wheelin for me [Frown]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was thinking of going to lake berryessa..i know som peeps up there...hmmm! [Confused]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:
I will be saving people from drowning at the American River or responding to accidents all memorial weekend so no wheelin for me [Frown]

Dana, I want to get up north one of these days and check out the spots you guys goto. Sounds like some fun getting away from people.

--------------------
94 GT

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think all the ohv parks will be crowded. That's why I'm wheeling on private property. I'm not sure where else to go where crowd control won't be an issue. Ya the PO at HH can be nasty. That's why I always wear long sleeve shirts even if its hot.

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The LX Kid 5.0:
I was thinking of going to lake berryessa..i know som peeps up there...hmmm! [Confused]

i thought there was a huge fire up there right now?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by DLo:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:

Dana, I want to get up north one of these days and check out the spots you guys goto. Sounds like some fun getting away from people.
Yeah your welcome to come up here.I'll let you know when i plan another wheelin meet down there with sac5.0 and friends.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DLo:
If my truck is running by the end of the week, my friend and I are thinking of doing a little wheeling/camping trip. Any ideas other than Hollister? That place is gonna be packed over the 3 day weekend. I was thinking of Frank Raines but don't know much about it.

i will be going up on highway 89 to the barney riley trail bout a 2 1/2 trail to the truckee river and to some natural hot springs with some other rigs if you want to hed up i will be leaving sacramento at 12.00 noon sat
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

I wheeled this weekend but I didn't see any of you peeps there. I ran Tank Trap a bunch of times just giving rides to anyone that wanted. Too bad just guys wanted rides I wanted some of the chicks to go. Kinda cool to see their ta ta's bouncing up and down! Hell I probably ran that little bunny trail Tank Trap 10 times in 1 day. Its boring.

I also wheeled on private property too. But again I didn't see any of you foos there. You all were probably wheeling over curbs and speed bumps. Cowards!!!!

--------------------

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

I was there riding with two rigs. One yota and one TJ. Did you see that pathfinder fly into the mud pit? That was definitely worth the entire trip.

Here are the pics we took:
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
94 GT

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
94 GT

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
94 GT

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
94 GT

89SC50
¯
Member # 6248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SC50  Ford pictures for 89SC50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am trippin on a pic way up top the bright red muffler how is that even possible.
Posts: 185 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

I see a little bit of mini Rubicon (not the main rock pile), jungle, Creek and maybe one of the Vgrooves (the right side one). Did you go all the way to the end of Creek or did you bypass the last part? Did that toy get messed up when it flopped? Did that Rubi continued the path leading into Squeeze Rock? I didn't see any of those rigs what days did you go? I only went Monday. Where's the pics of Tank?

[ May 29, 2007, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: cummins ]

--------------------

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

I think the exhaust system got stuffed with mud so everything got clogged and hot.

quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
I see a little bit of mini Rubicon (not the main rock pile), jungle, Creek and maybe one of the Vgrooves (the right side one). Did you go all the way to the end of Creek or did you bypass the last part? Did that toy get messed up when it flopped? Did that Rubi continued the path leading into Squeeze Rock? I didn't see any of those rigs what days did you go? I only went Monday. Where's the pics of Tank?

I'm not sure which trails we did, I know we ran Jungle and that's where everyone flopped. Which one's creek? Both toys only got a little bit of body damage, my friend with the extended cab was kind of bummed since it took him forever to find an 85. I was there Sunday from ~12-4. No pics of tank, the yota was only spooled in the rear and he didn't want body damage... prior to flopping that is.

--------------------
94 GT

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/SirachiZJ/Hollister%20Hills%205-27-07/DSC01361.jpg

That is Creek run. Lots of water run off when its rains. The last leg of if has a bypass which almost every one takes. But its gotten much easier since the wider rigs have dug it out more flat. So you should have been able to do it. We took an open/open toy truck through it no prob.

Now that I look a little close at your pics I don't see any Vgrooves. I just see Jungle. They must have been riding high side on a wall to flop in Jungle. If you straddle it you can make it no prob and not even come close to flopping.

Ya sunday I was wheeling on private property. You should have come up. Much more difficult trails than anything at Hollister. We had a killer bbq going with lots of booze and hot chicks running around. You would have seen a TON of rolls, flops, peeps on their lids, rigs doing cartwheels.

--------------------

sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here is my only vid i got of a river crossing  -
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

I dunno which trails we actually run, with the exception of Jungle. You know where everybody destroys their windshield on that tree? That's where the guy flopped, he didn't see the root sticking out of the ground or something on his passenger side and it just went over. As for my friend that flopped, I'm not sure how that happened either. He was almost at the end, and someone had rolled a rock into the middle of the trail that he got hung up on. So he went around it, and then we just see the rig going over.

How bad would it be to wheel a full size in some of those trails?

--------------------
94 GT

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

That dude took the wrong line through Jungle. Maybe he was trying to make it more difficult? I let the beginners drive my rig though Jungle so they get some experience. And no one has ever flopped LOL they all made it easily. Well its easy to flop if you take the wrong lines or you are trying to make it hard. But otherwise Jungle should be straight forward and super easy as long as you have 1 locker and a little lift. I've seen people with 31s and open/open make it too but it was a little work. Just for reference, I have a cherokee buggy with only 1 inch of lift and 32's with welded rear and open in front stock gears and it will skate through Jungle like a miniature speed bump. I know the rock you're talking about that has been there for a while.

Full sized rig? Well you may get a little body damage if you don't have a good amount of tire sticking out past the body. You won't be able to do Jungle or Vgrooves. Definitely not Tank either. You will be able to do the hill climbs (Truck and Five Fingers), Chaparral, White Rock, Fremotia (forgot how to spell it), and lots of the off trails around McCreary and Foothill behind the main obstacle course. I know almost all of the trails in Hollister and there's lots you can do. Next time you go let me know I may even bring the buggy and let you foos drive it. I want to take it up Tank. Maybe Dana will come down and run Tank Trap with us in his jeep.

--------------------

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Damn, I had a feeling that it wouldn't fit in alot of those trails. Fun trails at least, I've done quite a bit of hollister in a ZJ with 31's. We'll see, I'm not lookin to destroy my truck.

Btw, I blew up the NP435 input shaft. Which in turn took out the clutch too. I called up All Standard and they're gonna sell me a rebuilt tranny for $700. Whatever, I just need my work truck running again. All this money would have gone into my mustang engine [Frown]

--------------------
94 GT

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

That sucks about your trans. Well hopefully its all together and running well soon. Ya you can do a lot in your truck without body damage. I know all the trails in HH hell I practically lived there back in the day. All the ones I mentioned are doable without body damage. There's a lot of them. But like I said you can drive my buggy if I can bring it down there.

[ May 29, 2007, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: cummins ]

--------------------

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Question, how the hell did I do that? All I did was downshift and rev match. I thought the Np435 and T18 were strong trannies.

--------------------
94 GT

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com