Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Interested in getting unlimited wireless PC internet for my laptop? Recommendations?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Interested in getting unlimited wireless PC internet for my laptop? Recommendations?
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd like to get one of those wireless PC cards for my laptop. Who has the cheapest monthly unlimited internet service? I'd like to know what the differences are between the likes of: T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular/AT&T, Sprint, etc... Recommendations?? Also, would I be able to take my laptop to use in Hawaii?

[ May 22, 2007, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: STREETFIGHTER50 ]

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
87#184saleen
¯
Member # 6276

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87#184saleen  Ford pictures for 87#184saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sprint is the best one

--------------------
R.I.P DAD 3/5/36 - 6/2/07
2004 PORSCHE CAYENNE S on 22”
2013 PORSCHE Panamera on 21”
1987 SALEEN #184
Member of R H P

slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had Verizon for $60 a month unlimited. I averaged speeds a little slower than my cable at home.

I did not have an aircard my phone has a connection and just blue toothed it to my laptop.

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87#184saleen:
sprint is the best one

I agree.I use a sprint car all the time.They have a deal right now for a free card with sign up and like 39.99 per month for unlimited use.Ive never had an issue with service.As far as it working in Hawaii it will work there if the service provider has coverage in that area.Its actually considered a phone line with a phone number so it works the same as a phone as far as coverage.
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.sprint.com/sero

referral email savings@spring.com

I just ordered a motorola Q with unlimited text's/unlimited data/etc etc for $30/month

you can use the phone as a modem with your laptop, or they sell laptop specific data cards there also.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have verizon and it is expensive if you have to pay out of your own pocket for it. I heard sprint has the unlimited EVERYTHING which includes voice and data for 110 a month. If you don't need that big of a plan just get a pda phone and tether it to your laptop with their data plan...its the cheapest route.
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
I have verizon and it is expensive if you have to pay out of your own pocket for it. I heard sprint has the unlimited EVERYTHING which includes voice and data for 110 a month. If you don't need that big of a plan just get a pda phone and tether it to your laptop with their data plan...its the cheapest route.

never thought of this before. how does this work with the phone's connecting to my laptop?

--------------------

STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

do u need a smart phone/PDA to do the above?

--------------------

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STREETFIGHTER50:
do u need a smart phone/PDA to do the above?

yea get a smart phone or pda/phone. I know the motorola q, ppc 6700, and the treos can basically share its internet connection with a laptop. The phone acts like a modem for a laptop to connect to the internet. Also this feature is not exactly something cellular providers want you to do but everyone does it.

[ May 24, 2007, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: essasin ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:

never thought of this before. how does this work with the phone's connecting to my laptop?
google for "PDAnet"

or check out www.howardforums.com

like I posted up above, I use my moto Q for internet access with my laptop, works basically like a crappy DSL broadband connection most of the time [Smile]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the Verizon wireless card and it's ok [Roll Eyes]

Kinda expensive about $60 / month [Frown]

It does what it needs to do but just don't expect to view videos quickly (they warned me about that)

I must say that is has saved me a few times heading up to Tahoe and getting important info off my e-mail etc.

I don't think i'll be keeping it after my plan is up this year though.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
I have the Verizon wireless card and it's ok [Roll Eyes]

Kinda expensive about $60 / month [Frown]

It does what it needs to do but just don't expect to view videos quickly (they warned me about that)

I must say that is has saved me a few times heading up to Tahoe and getting important info off my e-mail etc.

I don't think i'll be keeping it after my plan is up this year though.

Tell me about. My plan with data is 110 bucks a month and if I could not expense this...there is no way I would chose this over sprints data service. Also do you know if your pc card is capped I know they advertise "unlimited data" for our pda/phone but really its capped at 5GBs which is more than enough.
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

so do the wireless pc cards only get signal in the same areas where the provider's cellular phone service works?

--------------------

STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

i like this small phone from verizon. flips in two ways & has that "qwerty" keyboard for all my texting... anyone know if this phone is capable of doing the internet/laptop thing?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=2951

--------------------

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sprint would definitely be the best choice here. Best data/voice coverage and best price. If you talk A LOT then get the $119.99 unlimited everything plan and get PDA net for using Internet on the laptop. If you don't talk a lot get a SERO plan for $30 and use PDA Net to get on the Internet with the laptop. If you don't want to have your phone tied up to the laptop as a modem then it's
$149.99 for the unlimited everything plan with a PC card for the laptop(you'll have a PC card and a phone separate) or $49.99 for the PC card with SERO(just the Internet plan with the card but no phone).

Ghoust
¯
Member # 1289

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghoust  Ford pictures for Ghoust    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
i like this small phone from verizon. flips in two ways & has that "qwerty" keyboard for all my texting... anyone know if this phone is capable of doing the internet/laptop thing?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=2951

yes you can tether that phone to your laptop.
Posts: 76 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

quote:
Originally posted by Ghoust:
quote:

yes you can tether that phone to your laptop.
when i tether to the laptop. can i just get a regular voice/txt plan or would i need to pay for the data service to do this?

--------------------

Cm4hawks
¯
Member # 5231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cm4hawks  Ford pictures for Cm4hawks    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a sprint and i love it my buddy has verizon and his sucks

--------------------
2007 Ford Expedition
2004 Dodge Ram 2500

Posts: 1818 | From: Pacheco CA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com