Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Career change......when you don't know if you should leave your current employer... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Career change......when you don't know if you should leave your current employer...
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
(If you want to skip the reading, go straight to the bottom and answer the question).

Man this has been bothering me for the past couple of days and I have about a week or two to make this decision. I just need to pass my background check and drug test (which should be no problem). I currently work for CITIBANK for sometime now. I have this promotion (Personal Banker) going through next month with CITIBANK.

One night I applied for BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) online for the hell of it. Well I got a call to do a testing a month ago (nothing too difficult). Pass the test. Did the interview, now I have a conditional offer from BART (I have the job, I just need to pass my check/test).

My promotion at CITI will pretty much pay me the same salary base as what BART is offering me. Except CITI I can make between $5-$15k more (reasonably) in commission on top of the BASE salary. So I would be making more with CITI, I know the future with CITI and can move around into different positions (Investments, Manager, Private Banking). I've been with the company for a while and know tons of information that I believe can make me succeed. But it SALES and when things are good, it's FUN.... But when things are BAD (it can get old and stressful). If you've been in sales you know what I mean. Banking isn't really hard selling, but there's pressure at times from management, especially when numbers are down.

So here's this opportunity with BART. A company that is well known. A company that "I've Heard" is a great company to work for. A company that leads me to believe I can make a career out of. It's union (SEIU). Benefits seem great (still haven't read all of it). But I feel unsure of what kind of future I can have with BART. The position is an ENTRY LEVEL (nothing fancy). It's Cash Handler position; the people that remove the money from the machines/light maintenance on machines/ replenish items on machine/ take money to a central location. The position reminds me of a BRINK person, but not EXACLTY the same but similar. Like I said this is just a foot in the door for me to get into BART and would like to get a different position within 2 years if I were to go to BART.

My question:

How did you handle a career/job change when you weren't sure if you should leave your current employer for a newer opportunity? Especially when things were going smoothly with the current one. But heard many great things of the other company.

[ May 17, 2007, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Venomized93 ]

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How are the benefits,401(k), pension, medical, etc.? Is it closer to home or do you have to commute further? If you're young, why not venture off to a new job.. Leave your current job on a good note, so IF things dont work out, perhaps you can get your old job back? Is there any kind of apprentiship you have to go through with BART, if so, how long? How many paid holidays do you get with your current job, how many would you get with bart, same with vacation, how many weeks.

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bro listen to me..... Go with BART hands down!!!! Trust me. Take the job with BART. Nothing in the private sector will provide Benefits like BART does. So you can make a little more with Citi. Does Citi provide Retiree Medical? There are 2 Retirement systems at BART, PERS and a MMPP. BART pays into both with an optional 3rd that you can pay your own into. 3 weeks of vacation after the 1st year. 4 weeks after 8 years, 5 after 15, 6 after 20. 13 paid Holidays a year, 12 sick days a year that you can sell back up to 50% every year if you don't use any. Medical, Dental, Vision for you and your family. Pick a carrier not just Kaiser. Uniform Allowance, the list goes on. Money is just that money., it only goes so far. Benefits will take you the rest of the way. Put a money value on those Benefits and your probably looking at 30-40K a year. Not to mention you get your foot in the door at BART? much easier to go somewhere else within. TRUST ME! GO WITH BART. PM me if you want more info.

Oh by the way, it's not like a Brinks job. Bart has "Revenue Protection Guards" for that, they ride around with cash handlers.

The retirement alone is worth the job. The formula is I think 2% at 55 or 60 (not sure) but that means 2% for every year you work. So lets say you work 30 years at BART (maybe not as a cash handler) that would be 60% of your highest year earned for the rest of your life. Throw in your MMPP which however you invested could net you couple hundred thousand dollars and the deffered MMPP (What you pay into if you want) Could also be a couple to several hundred thousand bucks when you bail from BART. There have been several BART employees leaving as Million dollars holders due to there investments and retirements. That 2% formula may go to 3% in the future. Like it did for Law enforcement in the State.

[ May 17, 2007, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: sharkattack ]

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's better to regret taking the wrong job, than to regret not taking the right job. Don't know if that will make sense to you, but what I'm saying is that you will feel worse for missing a great opportunity if you pass it up, than you would if you make the wrong move. In other words, do it!

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great replies you guys! Sharkattack you seem to know a lot about BART, I will PM if you don't mind. Do you have friends or family at BART?

[ May 17, 2007, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Venomized93 ]

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Venomized93:
Do you have friends or family at BART?

Better than that.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've contemplated making a career change out of the health care field many times to persue areas in which i think i would make me "Happier" vs making more $$$'$

But when i come to think about it.....it's just like Sharky said....those added perks of benefits, 401k/403b, pensions, etc are hard to put an exact dollar number on.

The Citibank job sounds like more of a "white collar" job vs the BART job from the way you describe it.

I would think mainly about where you'd like to be in 5-10 yrs from now and how far you could advance in each area if that's what you choose to do.

An hourly wage or yearly wage for that matter ain't shouldn't be your sole factor....but i do understand that more money = more options in life.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your current job sounds better to me. That BART job sounds like some no-brainer work and I don't know where you can advance to from that position. Doesn't sound like something you'd want to do for 30 years either.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
Your current job sounds better to me. That BART job sounds like some no-brainer work and I don't know where you can advance to from that position. Doesn't sound like something you'd want to do for 30 years either.

I hear you on that. But that postion I would only want to be in that for a year or two the most. I have a final meeting with them next week and I will get better information on career advancements within the department and company (hopefully). But Sharkattack pointed out some good things on the benefits that I didn't really consider yet.

[ May 17, 2007, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Venomized93 ]

--------------------

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BART hands down,my friend has worked there for years and loves it, defently room for advancement there
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Medical retirement is a HUGE factor that I've been debating. I currently have 3 @ 50% retirement which is standard for my line of work.

But I have no medical benefits when I retire!!!

I make good money but I've been debating working for other departments that offer life time medical.

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

quote:
Originally posted by slidewayz94:
Medical retirement is a HUGE factor that I've been debating. I currently have 3 @ 50% retirement which is standard for my line of work.

I make good money but I've been debating working for other departments that offer life time medical.

Yeah I am on the 3% @ 50. Not many agencies offer retiree medical. BART does.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

Pcharged46
¯
Member # 1664

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pcharged46  Ford pictures for Pcharged46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sharkattack:
quote:

3% @ 50 same here. I agree go with Bart. When I retire from my current agency I'm going with BART.

--------------------
04 Gt, Procharger,ported bullitt intake, vt cams, patriot heads mahle pistons, manly rods... etc.etc.

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

quote:
Originally posted by Pcharged46:
quote:
quote:

3% @ 50 same here. I agree go with Bart. When I retire from my current agency I'm going with BART.
Are you PERS?

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks like the only thing that sucks at BART is the vacation. You have to work there 20 years before hitting 6 weeks of vacation [Eek!] i have to work 10 years before getting 6weeks. [dance]

GO WITH BART!

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

Pcharged46
¯
Member # 1664

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pcharged46  Ford pictures for Pcharged46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you PERS?
Afirm

--------------------
04 Gt, Procharger,ported bullitt intake, vt cams, patriot heads mahle pistons, manly rods... etc.etc.

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Check. If you retire into PERS and go somewhere else PERS you basicly come out or retirement. If retiring out of PERS, best to go to a County and jump on that County retirement and double dip.

So dont retire and go to BART. Go to BART early. You only need to do 5 years to get that retiree medical.

Oh and BART does not pay into Social Security. No monies out of your check go to SS. That is what the MMPP is for that BART pays into. Thing with not paying into it is you won't collect it when you retire (Based on your years employed) Sweet deal all around.

slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm also losing my 100% paid medical going to 80/20 over five years. All I can say is we got screwed on our last contract [Roll Eyes]

no retirement health care, our pay is not the best but I like where I work.

Pcharged46
¯
Member # 1664

quote:
Check. If you retire into PERS and go somewhere else PERS you basicly come out or retirement. If retiring out of PERS, best to go to a County and jump on that County retirement and double dip.

So dont retire and go to BART. Go to BART early. You only need to do 5 years to get that retiree medical.

Oh and BART does not pay into Social Security. No monies out of your check go to SS. That is what the MMPP is for that BART pays into. Thing with not paying into it is you won't collect it when you retire (Based on your years employed) Sweet deal all around.

I didnt think BART was PERS.Shit I would go to the S/O and work the jail. Yeah only uh...lets see...Only 22 more years to get my 90%.crap.

--------------------

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

quote:
quote:

I didnt think BART was PERS.Shit I would go to the S/O and work the jail. Yeah only uh...lets see...Only 22 more years to get my 90%.crap.
BART is PERS. [Big Grin]

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a really easy to find line that says it's time to change. When whatever you do for a living makes you so unhappy that you see no relief, then it's time to change.

If you can be happy with a repetitive boring unchallenging job then the BART gig is for you. If you like your days to change a little then stay with citicrap.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

FoRdGiRl
¯
Member # 6279

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoRdGiRl  Ford pictures for FoRdGiRl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well think if you pass up the bart job chances of you being able to get it again are slim but the banker job you can probably come back to listen to your gut and think its kinda weird you applied for the hell of it and are actually getting it maybe thats a sign for a career change and the next path of your life. If i were you Id go with bart! Good luck with whatever path you choose sounds like you have a bright future ahead of you no matter what you choose [patriot]

--------------------
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArchersGT  Ford pictures for ArchersGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:
It's better to regret taking the wrong job, than to regret not taking the right job. Don't know if that will make sense to you, but what I'm saying is that you will feel worse for missing a great opportunity if you pass it up, than you would if you make the wrong move. In other words, do it!

Exactly, he may never know. But he knows what he has now and may always wonder what he could have had. Good luck with your diccission. [patriot]

--------------------
86' LX Vert

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

I just got a call back and everything has cleared. Damn, I'm confused/scared/saddened/unsure. My heart is with Citibank (because it's what I know/done). But I've been told from a lot of people to go to BART. I know it's not the fanciest position. But it's foot in the door to lead me into a different position in 1-3 years down the road. Any other inputs from anybody, before I make my decision. Thanks again! [patriot]

--------------------

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

quote:
Originally posted by FoRdGiRl:
Well think if you pass up the bart job chances of you being able to get it again are slim but the banker job you can probably come back to listen to your gut and think its kinda weird you applied for the hell of it and are actually getting it maybe thats a sign for a career change and the next path of your life. If i were you Id go with bart! Good luck with whatever path you choose sounds like you have a bright future ahead of you no matter what you choose [patriot]

Yeah, everyone is telling me this too. I know it's true too. Even the people that I've told at work told me this.

[ June 06, 2007, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Venomized93 ]

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com