Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Simple Laptop ? (Re: clockspeed & battery life)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Simple Laptop ? (Re: clockspeed & battery life)
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I haven't been on here in a while, but I have a question whose answer I am too lazy to look up right now.

Does a processor with a faster clock-speed drain the battery more quickly on a laptop computer?

More specifically, I guess my question is:

If I customize this computer with a higher clock-speed will it effect the potential battery life?..say I went with the 1.8 or 2GHz processor over the standard 1.6GHz.

And any reviews on this particular tablet/ portable.
[patriot]
Thanks,
Alex

[ May 03, 2007, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: menlo pony ]

Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those draw the same amount of wattage. I think they are 35 watts. Laptops have a power saving option which will draw less power. I would chose a core 2 duo setup since they are more efficent and faster than current AMD offerings.
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Really? So all three of those processors take the same amount of wattage to run? Is the 2GHz that much more efficient than the 1.6Ghz?

Yeah, I know or rather I've heard that the new Intel Core 2 Duo are the shit (faster, better battery life, cooler running, and all that), but they don't offer it on this tight laptop (if this is in fact a good laptop). I am looking for an ultra portable...something 4Lbs or less with a really long battery life...and the Sony series' are too expensive!

What laptop would you (you guys) recommend from my description?

Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AMD makes turions in two varieties a 25 watt and 35 watt chip. I could be wrong and the lappy you linked could be using the 35 watter. If battery life is a big concern, just upgrade the battery or buy a second...its prob the best solution.

I would suggest a thinkpad (lenovo) or sager if you have a decent amount to spend. These two are arguably the best. They both offer laptops that are under or around 3lbs, super thin and are well built and cheaper than sony vaios(which are expenisve because of the name) Dell also offers a 12in super compact that is cheaper than a thinkpad or sager and if you catch a dell deal it's prob the best bang for your buck.

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just got a dell latitude D820 for work and it flies. Its the core2 duo with 2 gig ram and its the 1.6ghz proccessor

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com