Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Ford recall

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ford recall
T-Top Five-o
¯
Member # 3513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for T-Top Five-o  Ford pictures for T-Top Five-o  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is this the reason why the ford pickups have $10,000 off msrp? http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/17466
Posts: 319 | From: San Jose, Ca. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Eek!] Crazy shit rite there!

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

FoRdGiRl
¯
Member # 6279

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoRdGiRl  Ford pictures for FoRdGiRl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My friend was talkin shit to me last week about ford said they were recalling trucks because fire was coming out exhausts hope they fix that soon bc i want one [Big Grin]

--------------------
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That should be an option, NOT A RECALL!!!!!

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damnit.

That is just a discrace to the Ford Faithful.

Makes me happy I didn't sell my 7.3 though! [Big Grin]

Actually, I got to go for a ride in a new 6.4L and my 7.3 with the mods it has would stomp a mud hole in the face of the new PSD. [burnout]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FoRdGiRl:
My friend was talkin shit to me last week about ford said they were recalling trucks because fire was coming out exhausts hope they fix that soon bc i want one [Big Grin]

shoot me a pm when ur ready for a truck [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WRS92GT  Ford pictures for WRS92GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The diesel community has been talking about this since it's initial concept idea. The 6.4L MaxxForce 390 is a piece of dogshit wrapped in Superduty trim. Ford should be ashamed to put garbage like that into an otherwise flawless truck.

They call it a twin turbo, yet it is not a true twin turbo. It's a sequential turbo system with too many valves that open and close trying to regulate boost pressure between compressor wheels. It's a fucked up concept from the get go.

I love my 7.3 and wouldn't trade it for shit. When it craps out I am debating swapping a 12V Cummins into it mated to an Allison 5 speed auto. That would be about as bulletproof as you could get diesel wise other than going with a CAT.

Posts: 455 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
NiftyWhiteFifty
¯
Member # 4320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiftyWhiteFifty  Ford pictures for NiftyWhiteFifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm, i didn't know flame throwers were a factory option now [Razz]

--------------------
'05 F150 4x4

NiftyWhiteFifty
¯
Member # 4320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiftyWhiteFifty  Ford pictures for NiftyWhiteFifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WRS92GT:
The diesel community has been talking about this since it's initial concept idea. The 6.4L MaxxForce 390 is a piece of dogshit wrapped in Superduty trim. Ford should be ashamed to put garbage like that into an otherwise flawless truck.

They call it a twin turbo, yet it is not a true twin turbo. It's a sequential turbo system with too many valves that open and close trying to regulate boost pressure between compressor wheels. It's a fucked up concept from the get go.

I love my 7.3 and wouldn't trade it for shit. When it craps out I am debating swapping a 12V Cummins into it mated to an Allison 5 speed auto. That would be about as bulletproof as you could get diesel wise other than going with a CAT.

My dad just got the new 6.7L cummins in his Ram 3500 super duty. I drove it around before he put a bed on it and it hauled ass! 6 speed manual with a granny low too

--------------------
'05 F150 4x4

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
Damnit.

That is just a discrace to the Ford Faithful.

Makes me happy I didn't sell my 7.3 though! [Big Grin]

Actually, I got to go for a ride in a new 6.4L and my 7.3 with the mods it has would stomp a mud hole in the face of the new PSD. [burnout]

I convinced my friend to stay the hell away from the 6.0L and the new 6.4L. He finally picked up a 02 dually with the 7.3 (I think that's the right year?). Good to know [Eek!]

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can nobody tell that is a gas engine with a horrible rod knock?

Listen when he reves it. How many diesels have you guys heard rev to 5000+ revs?

[Confused]

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have heard that video is of a truck that somebody put gasoline in with the Diesel.

+232,562 For 7.3l!! [patriot]

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the big turbo sucked in the little turbo! [Big Grin]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WRS92GT  Ford pictures for WRS92GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GOT 50:

Listen when he reves it. How many diesels have you guys heard rev to 5000+ revs?

[Confused]

When did you "hear" that engine being revved over 5K? Not to be a smartass but do you have an onboard tachometer built into your head?

Most modern commonrail injected diesel engines do not rev above 3,600 to 4,000 in extreme cases. Cummins have a tendency to rev higher than Duramax, Powerstroke and CAT engines.

Have you ever actually witnessed what happens when you accidently run gasoline in a diesel engine? Shitloads of ill colored smoke, loud ticking and an extreme loss of power. I'd say that the truck in the video pretty much had all of those AND a flamethrower setup as well. Diesel fuel is far less dangerous ignition temp wise than gasoline. Gasoline has an ignition temp of -45 degrees farhenheit. For that truck to be spewing flames out of the stock tailpipes like that to me would indicate "other" technical problems. Have you ever heard of a smudge pot? If not look it up. Diesel doesn't respond combustion wise anywhere near like gasoline does.

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

When did you "hear" that engine being revved over 5K? Not to be a smartass but do you have an onboard tachometer built into your head?

Most modern commonrail injected diesel engines do not rev above 3,600 to 4,000 in extreme cases. Cummins have a tendency to rev higher than Duramax, Powerstroke and CAT engines.

Have you ever actually witnessed what happens when you accidently run gasoline in a diesel engine? Shitloads of ill colored smoke, loud ticking and an extreme loss of power. I'd say that the truck in the video pretty much had all of those AND a flamethrower setup as well. Diesel fuel is far less dangerous ignition temp wise than gasoline. Gasoline has an ignition temp of -45 degrees farhenheit. For that truck to be spewing flames out of the stock tailpipes like that to me would indicate "other" technical problems. Have you ever heard of a smudge pot? If not look it up. Diesel doesn't respond combustion wise anywhere near like gasoline does.

I based my ASSumption off of the noise and sound the truck made at the end of the movie.

A. Not once have I personally seen a PSD with dual exhaust out of one side. Single yes double no.

B. Not once have i ever heard a diesel rev that quickly when the throttle was blipped.

C. Not once have I ever heard a diesel sound like a V8 with flows when revved.

D. I could be wrong but then again you could be wrong. Maybe your overzealous interpretation of knowing everything makes your opinion right and my interpretation/opinion wrong.

E. I will call MSD immediately to have my onboard tach re calibrated just to make sure I don't throw out another rough gestimate that might just be wrong.

P.S. My experience only involves three diesel automobiles. 1: 1999 ford F350 Turbo Diesel 2: 2003 Chevy 2500 Turbo Diesel. My personal vehicle 2006 Dodge ram 3500 cummings turbo diesel.

Eric

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The new 6.4l has a regenerative fuel burn system that is used to burn the particulates from the exhaust system. The exhaust system has 4 sensors that monitor the temps during the regen process. The recall is to lower the temps to prevent this from happening.
Here is the actual statement from the recall 07S49 -
"REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL

To prevent the occurrence of excessive heat in the exhaust system or potential flame from the tailpipe, a revised PCM calibration has been developed."

Here is the Q&A for the recall -

"Questions and Answers

Q1. Is this a safety recall?
A1. Yes, this is a Ford-initiated voluntary safety recall.

Q2. What is the cause of the tailpipe issue?
A2. In rare instances, the diesel particulate filter can generate excessive temperatures that could result in flame at the tailpipe.

Q3. What causes the excessive temperatures in the diesel particulate filter?
A3. A build up of hydrocarbons within the filter. Under normal circumstances, the diesel particulate filter collects particulate matter from the exhaust and then safely burns it to clean the filter. A build up of hydrocarbons in the filter may cause higher temperatures than necessary for cleaning.

Q4. What is the source of the hydrocarbons and how do they reach the filter?
A4. Hydrocarbons are found in fluids such as engine coolant, engine oil and diesel fuel. Normally, these fluids do not reach the exhaust. However, in rare circumstances, a leak within the engine could cause these fluids to enter the exhaust system and reach the filter.

Q5. How does fuel or oil reach the exhaust system?
A5. Some possible examples are a fuel injector stuck open or a leaking turbo shaft seal.

Q6. What are potential symptoms a driver may notice if they experience this concern before the recall is performed?
A6. In the rare case that vehicle owners experience this concern, the Check Engine indicator lamp in the instrument cluster may illuminate, and they may note a lack of power or rough engine operation. They may also hear abnormal noise from the engine or the exhaust and possibly see white smoke or a flame emitting from the exhaust tailpipe.

Q7. After the recall repair is performed, what symptoms will the customer notice if the PCM detects excessive heat from the DPF?
A7. The system acts to prevent any flame from emitting from the tailpipe. The software will reduce fuel flow and air flow to the engine to allow the diesel particulate filter to cool. If an over temperature event occurs, the driver of the vehicle will notice the following:

The Check Engine indicator lamp in the instrument cluster will flash, warning the driver to pull over to the side of the road as soon as safely possible.
Engine RPM will be reduced to idle after 3 – 5 seconds. Power steering and power braking assist will not be affected but the customer will not be able to accelerate the vehicle beyond idle speed.

Q8. Have there been any reports of fires caused by a Super Duty?
A8. As of the date of this publication, we received a single report of a grass fire, with no injuries. We have received only three reports to date of flame from the tailpipe across the U.S. and Canada.

Q9. I have heard that installing the new PCM program could cause the ABS light or Check Engine light to remain illuminated?
A9. Many dealers have completed the PCM reprogramming using IDS without any concerns. We have identified a few common concerns that have been experienced. Here are some tips to follow:

Make sure that your IDS is updated to release 48.5 Patch 3 or later. You can verify your level by viewing the "System Utilities" screen.
If the correct last 8 digits of the VIN cannot be viewed from the vehicle ID screen on the IDS, please enter them manually.
If after reprogramming you have hard fault P1639 or P1635, please perform Programmable Module Installation for the PCM in the same IDS session. Do not delete the current session as this will take longer to correct.
Be sure to pull and clear all Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (CMDTC's) after the PCM reprogramming is completed. If you don't do this, it is possible that indicator lights could be illuminated.
When you have completed the PCM reprogramming on an affected vehicle, be sure to close the session before connecting to the next vehicle. Do not use the same IDS session to reprogram several different trucks. Every vehicle needs to have its own IDS session to ensure the correct information is used to reprogram each PCM.

Q10. When will you begin mailing customer letters?
A10. We expect to begin mailing customer letters the week of April 2, 2007.

Q11. Should owners stop driving their vehicles?
A11. We are not instructing customers to stop driving their vehicles. Customers should, however, take their vehicles to their Ford dealer to receive the software update as soon as possible.

Q12. Will the condition occur when the vehicle is shut off?
A12. No, the condition does not occur when the engine is off.

Q13. Are there any other changes associated with this calibration that a customer may notice?
A13. Yes. This calibration will also address other drivability and Check Engine indicator light concerns that could be experienced during normal operation. Please refer to Special Service Message (SSM) 19683 for further details.

The 6.4l exhaust tip is a dual, vented tip on a single tailpipe that is used to help add cool air to the exhaust flow during the regen process. It's like a "monza" tip with slits in the sides. The recall is supposed to prevent this (what is shown in the video) from happening to prevent fires and other damage.
Now, we (Ford techs) are not sure if the truck shown actually has a problem, or if this is what the regen process involves, but we are leaning toward an injector leak pushing high pressure fuel into the exhaust. This engine control system is brand new to us, being high pressure fuel instead of high pressure oil, so we have a new learning curve to figure out.

WRS and Yellow94, it is a black eye on Ford, but I think that the blame must go to CARB/EPA and their new diesel emissions restrictions. Ford/Navistar have to come up with crap like this to meet the new standards. Chevy and Dodge will also employ some sort of regen system this year also. Dodge is going to Mercedes diesels next year since their contract with Cummins is up, so it remains to be seen how all the other automakers will meet the new standards. Ford just did it first, and we need to wait to see if this recall is the only SNAFU that happens.

Got 50, it is obvious that you don't know a thing about diesels, so why do you add useless bullshit to a post? And, if you own a CUMMINS, why wouldn't you spell it correctly? There are far too many useless posts from people like you that just piss off me and others here.

IT'S SIMPLE, IF YOU DON'T KNOW, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

[ April 01, 2007, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: BlueOvalRacing ]

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Once again I made an ASSumption. An observation of what I heard! If I am wrong then sorry. Didn't want you to blow a fuse about my opinion. Next time I express my ASSumtion/Opinion I will make sure to PM you first so I don't insult your intelligence or waste your time. Very informative information BTW. But seeing as I have wasted at least 5 minutes of your life based off of my personal experiences i take it back.

Evidently if you don't have the exact ford bulletin you shouldn't be allowed to post.

Freedom of speech what a waste. Like I said I just posted an opinion based on facts that I knew of.

So anytime I have something useful to add to this web site I will be sure to PM you first to make sure it meets your approval.

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Evidently if you don't have the exact ford bulletin you shouldn't be allowed to post.

Not true. I'm just tired of little kids on this board chiming in to raise their post count, and that have no knowledge about the subject, saying things that are wrong.

I could post on here 20+ times a day with my opinion about technical problems, but if I don't know the EXACT answer, I keep my trap shut. Others should do the same, and make this board actually enjoyable to visit.

WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

I based my ASSumption off of the noise and sound the truck made at the end of the movie.

A. Not once have I personally seen a PSD with dual exhaust out of one side. Single yes double no.

B. Not once have i ever heard a diesel rev that quickly when the throttle was blipped.

C. Not once have I ever heard a diesel sound like a V8 with flows when revved.

D. I could be wrong but then again you could be wrong. Maybe your overzealous interpretation of knowing everything makes your opinion right and my interpretation/opinion wrong.

E. I will call MSD immediately to have my onboard tach re calibrated just to make sure I don't throw out another rough gestimate that might just be wrong.

P.S. My experience only involves three diesel automobiles. 1: 1999 ford F350 Turbo Diesel 2: 2003 Chevy 2500 Turbo Diesel. My personal vehicle 2006 Dodge ram 3500 cummings turbo diesel.

Eric

A Cummings eh? Wow you sure do know your diesel trucks.

PS My experience comes from firsthand knowledge and might I mention a bulletproof diesel engine, a 7.3L Navistar diesel engine.

If you knew jack shit about the MaxxForce 6.4L turd you would know that it indeed comes from the factory with dual exhaust tips out of the passenger side rear.

Since you're such a diesel expert being as you can't even spell the name of the powerplant in your own ride correctly perhaps it's also slipped your noodle that 2008 guidelines are calling for emission controls on all diesel engines, both on and off road applications. Look at the new Duramax LLM exhaust system. It is even more ridiculous then the 6.4L MaxxForce's exhaust system.

http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ca_diesel.php

[ April 01, 2007, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: WRS92GT ]

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Now that this has officially turned into a pissing match.

A. Do you even know how old I am?

B. Post count. I could care less. Click on my screen name and see how often I post just to add useless tid bits of information? We have both been members since 02. Wow I have posted 232 times a year. You have posted 212 times a year since being a member. I guess that makes you about 20 post a year away from being a post whore! Try not to catch up! Yup I am a post whore!! Why don't you go back to wrenching on something and leave my opinions alone. I don't mind the facts at all just the personal attacks. Mighty childish of you. How old might you be?

C. Evidently neither of you can read into sarcasm but that argument would be a thread among itself.

D. I do not know jack shit about the MaxxForce 6.4L engine. That is why I mentioned the power plants I am familiar with.

So to recap: Blue oval next time you make assumptions about other peoples age or stature do a little research not to make your self look like a jack assed bigot "you people" I belive was the term you used. Now you sound like a bigger ass then I did making my assumption about the video that was mentioned in this post.

So did the guy mix gasoline with the Diesel fuel?

If you would like to continue on with this childish banter please feel free to PM. Nothing is gained by making this public other then your post count!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com