Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » question for smog techs or experts: pass smog with chip?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: question for smog techs or experts: pass smog with chip?
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just curious if i have a diablo chip on my mustang will the smog check find it and result in a fail?
if i pull codes, i get a 511, which ive read is related to having a aftermarket chip on the computer.
what info from the computer does the smog machine pull and is any code interpretted as a failed smog?
i dont have smog due a year from now but want to prepare in case i need to find a hookup.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
should be ok with obd1, but not 2

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mine is a 94 so im in good shape.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

BOTIH8R
¯
Member # 7295

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTIH8R  Ford pictures for BOTIH8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats the exact code description.as long as theres no check engine light on and your car doesnt have some super cray tune on the chip youll be okay
Posts: 1143 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2006  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

here is teh description from fordfuelinjection.com
code 511: EEC permanent Read Only Memory (ROM) test failed
from what i read on the corral, this is related to the aftermarket chip. this code does not trigger the check engine light.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's OBD-1, so all a tech will check for is the initial CE light on startup. You'll be fine as long as the tables are in line and in favor of passing... [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
BOTIH8R
¯
Member # 7295

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTIH8R  Ford pictures for BOTIH8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you know if it is a pending or current code.is it found on koeo or koer test
eljefe
¯
Member # 1753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eljefe  Ford pictures for eljefe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya as long as the light doesnt come on and stay on your cool, now just hope it passes the sniffer with the chip

--------------------
1969 mustang coupe - the project
1996 mystic cobra - 13.64@105 - sold :(
2007 yaris - daily driver

Posts: 737 | From: holiday in rancho cambodia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

the code comes up on koeo.

the car has past smog with the blower in the past when it had 24lb injectors and fmu. it is now tuned with 42lb'ers. i will probably find a shop to do a pretest first to see if everything looks fine.

so does the same go with the obd-II? as long as the CEL does not trigger, you'll pass assuming everything else passes or is the test more extensive?

luckily i have a smog shop down the street from my house. they seem to be more lenient about the visual as ive passed with a non carb legal CAI and it seems theyre more concerned about the sniffer. maybe its from my experience only but asian shops seem to let things pass on the visual. ive heard of some places that refuse cars if theyr'e modded even if the parts are carb legal.

[ March 01, 2007, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

BOTIH8R
¯
Member # 7295

some places will refuse.if it is a koeo then it wont usually pick up the code when the car is running.hence the terms Key On Engine Off/Key On Engine Running.if you didnt already know that.obdII is a little different the computer will comunicate alot more info with the smog computer.soon we will start seeing the new obdIII systems.they are supposed to be insane
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should be able to get rid of that code by setting the correct checksum base address in the chip (probably 0 in the case of diablo). You may have to go to a tuner or the shop you bought the chip from to get that value set correctly.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:
You should be able to get rid of that code by setting the correct checksum base address in the chip (probably 0 in the case of diablo). You may have to go to a tuner or the shop you bought the chip from to get that value set correctly.

yup you're right. ill go have the tuner fix it.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey venemous, let us know how it worked out.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com