Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Impressive SU-30MK Fighter Jet

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Impressive SU-30MK Fighter Jet
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Article and Video:

This is for those of you who will understand how remarkable this really is. Any way you slice it, this is pretty impressive. Great camera work. This remarkable aircraft and its pilot demonstrate what I thought impossible for a high speed jet fighter. In the SU-30MK, Russian aviation has surpassed that of the US and its allies. This truly impressive fighter can stall from high speed flight to stop in less than a second. It can fall back on its tail, without compressor stall, and go into a flat spin and recover in less than a minute. There is no aircraft in any country's inventory that could stand up to it in dog fight.

SU-30MK Fighter

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow i didnt know jets could do that. crazy how he free falled a couple times. the smoke is just for looks right?

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow, could it look any more like a F-15? [Roll Eyes]

I'm more impressed with a Harrier II jump jet. [Big Grin]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/su-30mk.htm

In May 2002 it was reported that studies in a Boeing simulator complex show that the Su-30MK can defeat an F-15C “every time” by using a combination beyond visual range (BVR) attack with an AA-12, followed by a close approach and attack with an IR-guided AA-11. The Su-30 penetrates the F-15’s Doppler radar net because it can rapidly dump speed to zero relative to the F-15, then attack from below and accelerate away. Similar tactics, say the analysts, would not work against an F-22 or F-35. The maneuver also requires great pilot skill, of a level very rare outside leading Western powers. It is also possible that the test is set up to justify purchase of the F-22 and F-35 along with various new air-to-air missiles. Critics point out that the maneuver will also not work against the F-16 and F-18, since with their smaller radar signatures they are not so vulnerable to the BVR portion of the attack. "

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WRS92GT  Ford pictures for WRS92GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Both the CCCP and US were researching thrust vectoring since the late 1970's.

When you say that Russian aerospace has surpassed the US you are somewhat correct. In comparison the SU-37 is a better handling aircraft but overall the F-22 is superior in all facets (speed, fuel conservation, super cruise capability, weaponry, radar cross section etc). Russia just cannot produce the number of aircraft that we can.

If you look at Russian concept and aircraft design companies such as Tupolev, Sukhoi, Antonov & Mikoyan/Gurevich they all share very similar designs as western aircraft of their respective timeframes.

I.E.

TU-95 Bear Foxtrot=B-52 Stratofortress (Minus propulsion system)

TU-160 Blackjack=B-1B Lancer

SU-27, SU-37=Varied from F-15C to F/A-18

The Soviets obtained a shitload of R&D from espionage during the Cold War.

I will hand one major design concept to the Soviets. They believed wholeheartedly in the KISS theory. Their birds were designed to operate from remote forward operating bases with shitty runways and minimal overall maintenance.

--------------------
01 F250 PSD Crew 4X4

Posts: 455 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
OldSchoolFormula
¯
Member # 823

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OldSchoolFormula  Ford pictures for OldSchoolFormula    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sitting still in the air like that makes for an easy way to get shot down. I have my doubts that it could kill an F-15 every time, even if it can momentarily defeat it's doppler radar. As soon as it can be tracked by IR it can sit still in the air all it wants. Boom. And what about AWAC coverage?

It can stall from high speed flight to a stop in less than a second? Ugh, I don't think so. Sure it can lose several hundred knots in a Cobra maneuvar, but that opens it up to being strafed.

Impressive airplane, and a very deadly threat nonetheless. I wouldn't be surprised if the F15's "inferiority" is put to the max by Boeing and USAF Generals - they all want the F22 and the JSF online as fast as possible - as they should. Fighting on equal terms is not in our best interest...

--------------------
1973 Formula 400

TrueBlue
¯
Member # 1063

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrueBlue  Ford pictures for TrueBlue    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very impressive!

Here is a good story on the YF-23. This is a five part video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Ovzo71C5A&mode=related&search=

[ January 30, 2007, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: TrueBlue ]

--------------------
KB '01 GT
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/davis769/GIFS/samj.gif[/IMG]

Posts: 1527 | From: Around the way | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Chris83179
¯
Member # 6017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris83179  Ford pictures for Chris83179    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Awesome. the thrust-to-weight ratio on that is nuts! It acts like an 03 cobra with v6 wheels would on pavement... all over the damn place...

--------------------
13 Focus ST
01 Bullitt - Sold

Posts: 558 | From: Bay Area & Sac | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I remember a few years back...the horrible, Ukranian airshow accident. I believe that the SU-30mk fighter was the one that couldn't do a slow stall-type maneuver and subsequently mowed down about a hundred people that were watching the show. It was actually blamed on the pilot, but who knows.

Nonetheless, why are they still doing those FN stall exhibitions is beyond me. For those interested, just type "Ukranian Airshow Accident" into Goolge and check it out, plenty of vid and pix. Graphic, be careful [Eek!] [Frown] .

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thx for the videos trueblue. that was very informative and very interesting to watch.

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)
-99 Saleen Convert. #231-SOLD

Posts: 1503 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What they didn't tell you about that video is that its an American flying it [Eek!] [Razz]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SU-30MK in action. Here ya go for those who wanna check it out...NOT PRETTY. You've been warned [Eek!] . For the record, the pilot got 14 yrs after surviving this [Frown] ...obviously deservedly so.

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1168317542/Horrific_Air_Show_Disaster_in_Ukraine

[ February 01, 2007, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: RixSikCobra ]

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Man, I dunno... I wouldnt feel safe in that thing.

I know on their super big cargo jet the ruskies used wood in the cargo bay!!

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
sn8k
¯
Member # 574

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k  Ford pictures for sn8k  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The thrust vectoring on the SU30 is cool and all - but all them fancy ass manuvers at slow speed will just get you killed. At higher speeds, no matter what you are flying - you are still limited by the man in the cockpit (G forces of approx. positive 9Gs negative 5G's). Still - it's impressive - but it's outdated already.

Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle (UCAV) will be capable of approx. +-25G's, very stealthy, and will easily be able to outmanuver any missles thrown at 'em. Boeing projections indicate the aircraft will cost 1/3 of the price of the Joint Strike Fighter and require as little as 50% of the related costs to maintain vs. vurrent operational squadrons.

The US & Boeing all ready into their 3rd ptototype (the x45c) - which started construction in 2004 & will have it's first test flight sometime in early 2007. All indicators seem to point towards a 2009 production schedule with deployment shortly thereafter.

-

These will truely be the "dogs of war"... you can't outshoot or outmanuver them - once "locked on" the only thing you can do is pray the end will come swiftly. Bye-bye SU30.

--------------------
Mark K...

| 2003 Cobra | 2001 Cobra | 89GT |

Posts: 180 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com