Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Bummer........

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Bummer........
98_No_Bra
¯
Member # 2351

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98_No_Bra  Ford pictures for 98_No_Bra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's impossible to predict these kinds of things, of course. Some cars, like Ferraris and Rolls-Royces, are automatically going to be collectible, but those cars cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin with and they are produced in tiny batches.

For a mass-produced car to become collectible requires enormous demand among well-moneyed buyers. And collector tastes are fickle. There's no way to tell what collectors might think is cool 10 or 20 years from now.

Hagerty Insurance, a company that specializes in insuring collectible cars, decided to try anyway.

Last year, the company began routinely asking its roughly 50,000 customers to guess which of today's common consumer vehicles they thought might be hot collectibles decades from now.

The most surprising thing about the resulting list, said Hagerty Insurance president McKeel Hagerty, was the number of Japanese cars on the menu. And the relative absence of American cars.

"We see this pretty significant shift toward imports," Hagerty said.

Collectible Japanese cars are all but unheard of today. But, in the future, Toyota's Scion cars and its FJ Cruiser off-roader might be hot items at car auctions, Hagerty's customers predicted.

The only American cars were two Chrysler products, the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Viper.

Cars that are hot now may not be so hot for collectors in the 2020's, Hagerty's survey predicted. Notably, the Ford Mustang did not make the list in any form. Nor did the Toyota Prius.

The main ingredients that make cars desirable, said Hagerty, are cool designs and honest performance. Cars that look hot but don't perform won't end up being desirable in the long term, he said.

--------------------
Better to burp and taste it then to fart and waste it!!!

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im pretty sure foxbody saleens and cobras will be collectors and maybe even the mcclaren since its limited production even tho it might not look that good
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can see Scions and the 300 being a collectors car. Fords SVT's and specialties will always have a home in the bracket IMO.

I actually want one of those boxy Scion van things, to use as company cars for trade shows. Get some nice wraps on there and go.

andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard on the radio today that Carol Shelby's 66 Shelby GT500 sold for $5.5 million!!! Now that is a collector car!

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)
-99 Saleen Convert. #231-SOLD

Posts: 1503 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by andyman_2k01:
I heard on the radio today that Carol Shelby's 66 Shelby GT500 sold for $5.5 million!!! Now that is a collector car!

[Eek!]
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Five Decimal Zero  Ford pictures for Five Decimal Zero  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by n8y8:
I can see Scions and the 300 being a collectors car. Fords SVT's and specialties will always have a home in the bracket IMO.

I actually want one of those boxy Scion van things, to use as company cars for trade shows. Get some nice wraps on there and go.

Here's my box...

-

-

[ January 22, 2007, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Five Decimal Zero ]

Posts: 972 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: May 2002  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yah that shelby sold for like 5.5 mill at barret. The guy that bought that car bought two others. He spent like 8 million on 3 cars!

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dig those boxy vans.
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It wasn't a GT500 that sold for 5 mil., it was an original 66 Cobra (CSX3015) with a twin Paxton supercharged 427. It was Shelby's personal car dubbed the "Supersnake". Bill Cosby bought the only other one (CSX3033), only to sell it back, then it was sold to S&C Ford in S.F., then to a guy named Tony Maxey, who proceeded to kill himself by dring off the PCH into the Pacific. Supposedly, it is now in England being restored...
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am positive imports WILL NOT be collectible cars in 10 to 20 years from today. All the imports i see on the roads today that are 20 years old are pieces of shit. Paint pealing off, 400K miles, interior gross. Theres no way a 06 Civic SI will be a collectible

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Five Decimal Zero those rims are sick. Got any info on them?

I'm looking to get an Xb for a commuter when I graduate..

Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Five Decimal Zero  Ford pictures for Five Decimal Zero  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
Five Decimal Zero those rims are sick. Got any info on them?

I'm looking to get an Xb for a commuter when I graduate..

Thanks... they are Sportmax Type 002 (gold are hard to find) 15x8 0 offset on stretched 195/45s.

-

-

Posts: 972 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: May 2002  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That has to be lowered. Get any rubbage on the road with a full cab?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com