Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Ticket:Right turn on a red light?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ticket:Right turn on a red light?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, I just got a ticket.."No stop at a red light turning right"...Damn it...I was yielding where there was a "painted island" dividing the right turning lane...I know where there is an island or curb at an intersection you are allowed to turn right at a red light without stoping and just yielding...

I'm trying to find the "yield with an island" on the DMV site and in the hand book, I can't find it...

Can any of you guys help me, or am I SOL?...Thanks

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They usually have yield signs there.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check out this site

www.ticketassassin.com

Two people I know have beaten tickets with it

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
GTChink
¯
Member # 293

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTChink  Ford pictures for GTChink    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it's a Yield sign then you don't have to stop. If it's a STOP sign then you must stop, island or no island. That's what I've heard.
Posts: 477 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya i've had that ticket before, here is the rule if your turning right on a red light, you must stop like its a stop sighn

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NavidR:
ya i've had that ticket before, here is the rule if your turning right on a red light, you must stop like its a stop sighn

ditto
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn that f'n sucks Rob. I always wonder about that rule or not. I recently got a red light ticket and it cost $360 or some crazy shit. Mine was for running the red light turning right at 3mph. fuckin lame.
CMELEVU
¯
Member # 2563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMELEVU  Ford pictures for CMELEVU    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here's a good rule to follow. if its a stop light or sign and your turning right at the intersection, you must stop. if there is a yeild sign instead of a stop sign or light you have to yeild to thru traffic.
Posts: 201 | From: Marysville | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup buddy of mine got the same ticket for going something like 2 mph through the light [Roll Eyes] [Mad]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CMELEVU:
here's a good rule to follow. if its a stop light or sign and your turning right at the intersection, you must stop. if there is a yeild sign instead of a stop sign or light you have to yeild to thru traffic.

Thanks for the obvious.... [Roll Eyes]

I'm just going to have to go to the police station or DMV to see how it works...I know there are plenty of intersections in Fremont(Blacow & Mowry for one) where turning right with an island is a yield(without signs)...

It's one of those grey area things, kinda like changing lanes in an intersection, which a lot of people think is illegal...As soon as I confirm this info I'll post it up....

I'm think I'm SOL, but the intersection where I got the ticket isn't like most intersections...And if I don't have to pay for a ticket then why do so....

[patriot]

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Corner of Fremont Blvd and Cushing Parkway there is a right turn with island. EVERY car EVERY day goes through it as a yeild. I've flown through it with cop behind me and no issue...but there is no Yeild sign anywhere...although it has its own type of lane.
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Hey Rob found this info through the Mercury News

Q. When making a right turn where there is a triangular cement divider or median separating the right turn lane and the other lanes, can you make the right turn on a red without a stop, but treating it as a yield. Example, On Capitol Expressway making a Right onto Snell Ave.
Anonymous, San Jose, CA 1/17/07

A. Treat it as a yield -- IF THERE IS NO SIGNAL or stop sign to your right as you make that turn. I am assuming that is the case here.
Gary Richards 1/18/07

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Thanks Jdub, that's exactly what I was looking for...

[patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So was there no signal in that lane?

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Cosmo, It's a three way intersection, so you can only turn left or right from the direction I was comming from...There was/is a round red light(not red arrow), BUT there was a painted island dividing the left turn and right turn lanes....

I have another argument too...The Cop that wrote the ticket was atleast 2-3 cars behind me and I really don't know how he could see if I did or didn't stop....He was a 1/4 mile behind me before he started his persuit and I was going the speed limit the whole time...He accused me of speeding too, which also dis-credits him and his story....

[ January 24, 2007, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: BlackNGold ]

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Can't find it again in here but this is the link. WHEN you fight the ticket you should have some better proof than this but maybe this will sufice.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/columnists/mr_roadshow/qa_forum.htm

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com