Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Military people

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Military people
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im thinking about joining the military as an officer after I graduate college. I have one semester left. Im wondering how military life is as an officer. I know there are some military people on here and Im wanting an unbiased opinion. Id like to see the world and get outta CA and US and not have to worry about searching for a job.

Anyways just want everyones opinion on how they liked the military life and if they would do it again. Any advise is appreciated.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

WRS92GT
¯
Member # 5008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WRS92GT  Ford pictures for WRS92GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Im thinking about joining the military as an officer after I graduate college. I have one semester left. Im wondering how military life is as an officer. I know there are some military people on here and Im wanting an unbiased opinion. Id like to see the world and get outta CA and US and not have to worry about searching for a job.

Anyways just want everyones opinion on how they liked the military life and if they would do it again. Any advise is appreciated.

I come from a family that is entirely military for the most part. I myself chose ROTC through Sac State and found that military life was not for me.

My mother served 24 years in the Navy and came up through the ranks as a "Mustang Officer". She started out as a hospital corpsman and attained E-4 before being selected for the Navy's nursing program where she later was commissioned an Ensign. She ended up retiring as a full Commander (O-5) and has a bitchen pension and saw pretty much the entire world at the Navy's expense (2 tours of duty in Vietnam). She's set up for life basically.

On the other hand my mom's brother spent 28 years as an enlisted Navyman and spent 14 of those years as a SEAL. He retired a Senior Chief and had 3 tours in Vietnam and now has shitty knees and a fucked up back and a piss poor pension plan. But on the otherhand he was a SEAL so some of that punishment was at his own doing/choice.

Honestly I've seen both sides of the fence and I can say that if you plan on making the military your one and only career choice you'd be nuts to go in as an enlistedman. Get your degree and then OCS all the way. The pay is awesome and you're treated far better than enlisted persons.

(*Note: Air Force & Coast Guard enlisted have it pretty decent though. I've personally worked with both of them as a federal civilian firefighter on military installations and they are treated pretty well in comparison to the Army, Navy and Marines.

[ January 12, 2007, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: WRS92GT ]

Posts: 455 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WRS92GT:
Honestly I've seen both sides of the fence and I can say that if you plan on making the military your one and only career choice you'd be nuts to go in as an enlistedman. Get your degree and then OCS all the way. The pay is awesome and you're treated far better than enlisted persons.

Being an enlistedman, I'm wondering where you got this idea that one (or he) would be nuts for going in as enlisted? I have talked (in great length) to many prior enlisted officers who say that they had way more fun (and liked it better)when they were enlisted.

And I would say, during deployments the officers might get a better room... but... treated better? Maybe in certian branches/commands...

To the original poster... Talk directly to people who have served or are still serving. There are several of us enlisted on here... probably a few officers too. Depending on where you live, you might not run into military personel that much... but if you see one of us, ask about experiences, and what not..

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Speaking from my current experience, in the Marine Corps, officers are afforded many more priveleges than enlisted Marines. However, we also carry MUCH more responsibility than the enlisted Marine does.

For example:

Out of boot camp, an enlisted Marine is taught how to take care of himself and be damn good at working as a team player.

Out of Officer Candidates School, and after graduating The Basic School (TBS is Marine Corps specific), ALL officers are taught how to take care of their Marines FIRST, and themselves second. We are the leaders of our team and we are there to serve our enlisted Marines.

Without enlisted, the Corps would be nothing. Without us, the enlisted would have no leader. So in an attempt to answer your question as unbiased as possible, I would have to say the choice is yours to figure out on your own.

I will part with this: If you want to become an officer, you better be ready to lead the finest young men and women this country has to offer. Don't try to become an officer with ANY doubt about what you are embarking upon. And DO NOT apply to Marine Corps OCS if you are even SLIGHTLY doubtful about what you want to do because it will eat you alive.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sway your opinion [Wink]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Quick 88LX:
Speaking from my current experience, in the Marine Corps, officers are afforded many more priveleges than enlisted Marines. However, we also carry MUCH more responsibility than the enlisted Marine does.

For example:

Out of boot camp, an enlisted Marine is taught how to take care of himself and be damn good at working as a team player.

Out of Officer Candidates School, and after graduating The Basic School (TBS is Marine Corps specific), ALL officers are taught how to take care of their Marines FIRST, and themselves second. We are the leaders of our team and we are there to serve our enlisted Marines.

Without enlisted, the Corps would be nothing. Without us, the enlisted would have no leader. So in an attempt to answer your question as unbiased as possible, I would have to say the choice is yours to figure out on your own.

I will part with this: If you want to become an officer, you better be ready to lead the finest young men and women this country has to offer. Don't try to become an officer with ANY doubt about what you are embarking upon. And DO NOT apply to Marine Corps OCS if you are even SLIGHTLY doubtful about what you want to do because it will eat you alive.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sway your opinion [Wink]

Good advice... that's basically what I was trying to say! [Big Grin]

Oh, and trying to sway his opinion would require a comment like "You know, in the USAF we all work M-F, 8-5... and girls in bikinis bring you a cold beer at the end of the day." [Razz] j/k

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
Oh, and trying to sway his opinion would require a comment like "You know, in the USAF we all work M-F, 8-5... and girls in bikinis bring you a cold beer at the end of the day." [Razz] j/k [/QB]

They do, when you're a Flying Crew Chief. [Big Grin] Ahhhh, the stories I could tell....and do [Wink]

Enlisted life is great. I've been in 13 years and wouldn't change it. Being a Officer, well...to each their own. Good for them. But I can tell you this, a Officer is only as good as his WORST NCO (non-commissioned Officer).

If you'd like any advice from Air Force folks, let us know. 94gt and I have been at it for a while now...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
444_C.I.D.
¯
Member # 2956

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 444_C.I.D.  Ford pictures for 444_C.I.D.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
quote:
Oh, and trying to sway his opinion would require a comment like "You know, in the USAF we all work M-F, 8-5... and girls in bikinis bring you a cold beer at the end of the day." [Razz] j/k

They do, when you're a Flying Crew Chief. [Big Grin] Ahhhh, the stories I could tell....and do [Wink]

Enlisted life is great. I've been in 13 years and wouldn't change it. Being a Officer, well...to each their own. Good for them. But I can tell you this, a Officer is only as good as his WORST NCO (non-commissioned Officer).

If you'd like any advice from Air Force folks, let us know. 94gt and I have been at it for a while now... [/QB]

you can ask me too... i have 8 years in
John, Jesse, and I all work together.

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

quote:
Originally posted by 347_C.I.D.:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
quote:

If you'd like any advice from Air Force folks, let us know. 94gt and I have been at it for a while now...

you can ask me too... i have 8 years in
John, Jesse, and I all work together. [/QB]

[dance] Chocks and pins!!!

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

PonyXpress
¯
Member # 7084

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyXpress  Ford pictures for PonyXpress    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Air Force enlisted as well. I wouldn't trade my job for a job in any other service. Officer......I thought about that but being enlisted is just too much fun. However, if you want to be an officer and you have what it takes, to each their own. I must avise you though, you will make a great many sacrifices as an officer, depending on where you work. I can't speak for other services but I know the Air Force is booting their junior officer corps members by the dozens right now. I would wait a few if you happen to be looking at being an officer in the Air Force.

[ January 13, 2007, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: PonyXpress ]

--------------------
89'GT Haulin' Ass
Nitrous Express ....My Heroes

Posts: 55 | From: Plumas Lake | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com