Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Random question... Can I report stolen?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Random question... Can I report stolen?
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKLEEN/GT  Ford pictures for SIKLEEN/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I f*** up and sold a cadillac that i had to some guy who only payed me half of the money. The agreement was that i would let him take it home so that he could fix what was wrong with it and on friday of that week when he got paid he was going to pay me the rest of the money. We was not to move the car from his driveway untill it was registered under his name but when i went to check the car is no loger there. He has also avoided my calls and not picked up when i call him...

If I report it stolen am I obligated to pay him back the moeny he payed me? Nothing was on paper... I know i was stupid for letting him take the car with out full payment but I trusted the guy... now I dont want something to happen involving the car and all come back to me because im the registered owner...

Posts: 299 | From: Elk Grove, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid  Ford pictures for two-gun kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SIKLEEN/GT:
I f*** up and sold a cadillac that i had to some guy who only payed me half of the money. The agreement was that i would let him take it home so that he could fix what was wrong with it and on friday of that week when he got paid he was going to pay me the rest of the money. We was not to move the car from his driveway untill it was registered under his name but when i went to check the car is no loger there. He has also avoided my calls and not picked up when i call him...

If I report it stolen am I obligated to pay him back the moeny he payed me? Nothing was on paper... I know i was stupid for letting him take the car with out full payment but I trusted the guy... now I dont want something to happen involving the car and all come back to me because im the registered owner...

wait at his house with some friends and get the rest of the money.

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you sign over the title yet?

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I actually did that years back. Sold dude a car and he tried to get out of paying. But keep in mind whoever is in this car will be taken out at gun point, booked and charged. Which will piss someone off. I got my car back but actually had to fight the dude several times after that. Almost everytime we saw each other it was on. Also I was able to drop charges but he did have to spend a few nights in jail. Keep in mind you will be filing a false report which could carry some consequences for you. You will have to say you woke up and the car was gone or some shit. Not worth the hassle if you ask me. But I was young and itchin to fight. Just take the dude to court for your cash. Still may not get it, but you wont have all the back-lash.
Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you sign the title and do you have a receipt?

If you signed the title, sorry you have option 1 above.

If not, Give him a deadline. If I don't have the money by Monday morning I'm reporting it stolen. Then do it.

Your only other recourse is to pursue it in small claims court but you will never collect that way either.

Or just go take it back and give him his money.

--------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Man up and go see him. WTF? Go get your shit.

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by modular:
Man up and go see him. WTF? Go get your shit.

+1 or do the court thing. The false police report thing could be more trouble than its worth.
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKLEEN/GT  Ford pictures for SIKLEEN/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the title is still under my name and there was no recipt or any paper work stating that he still owed me money... I did go to his house once but nobody answered the door, even though his car was in the driveway... this was two months ago and when I call my calls get forwarded to his voice mail... I left him several messages but no luck.
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TWO MONTHS AGO!!!

Call the police and say he stole it from you. You didn't sign anything so all you have to say is you WERE going to sell it to him and he just took off with your car. You can even tell them he gave you a small cash deposit to test drive it. They may call you dumb for letting him take off with the car but it is still considered stolen since everything is still in your name.

fuck that guy

tell the police the truth,...he stole your car bottom line.

Floored
¯
Member # 2312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floored  Ford pictures for Floored    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What would I do?

I would go to my police department and be 100% HONEST and tell them what happened. See if they will help you. Don't lie because it could come back on you.

Court is an option, but just because you win does not mean you would ever get paid. I have a now 4 year old judgment against Dan Starkey when he ripped me for a $3000 motor and haven't seen a dime from him.

Best of luck.

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

Posts: 788 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All the popo is gonna do is tell you this is a civil matter and to take it up in court.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
All the popo is gonna do is tell you this is a civil matter and to take it up in court.

+1
To get them on it, it would have to be a straight up theft *cough* lie in this case *cough*. If they draw down on someone for a half stolen car, there will be a civil suit from hell on their asses.

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bro just call the police department and tell them the truth and see what they say. I don't think they are going to do anything. If you still have the pink slip then "REPO" your car and keep his money, if he wants it back he has to take you to court, if you signed the pink slip over to him then you have to go to court I'm actually in the same situation, a lady bought one of our cars and we let her leave with the car. Next day she needed to bring in some paper work and well its been 2 month and we haven't seen her. I called the police but they say since she didn't give us any false information and we actually made a deal with her (like your situation the guy didn't lie to you and you made a deal) there was nothing they could do So I have a repo company trying to REPO it right now.

Good luck and JUST REPO THE SHIT! I'll cost you about $400.00

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not stolen though. If he had permission to take the vehicle then you need to go through the courts

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stuff some potatos up the exaust pipe with a broom stick, the car will never run.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

quote:
Originally posted by Motorhead6T5:
Stuff some potatos up the exaust pipe with a broom stick, the car will never run.

lol... i might have to do that...

I tried to just pick up the car... I had called a tow truck company a while back when my car was still parked in his drive way but they refused to pick it up because they didnt want the driver to have to be involved in any confrontation even though i had explained to them that i had the pink slip in hand with my name on it....

N8
¯
Member # 6048

You might have to get a lil gangsta with him. Check with the DMV and see if he put it in his name. You might be S.O.L. You really dont need a pink slip to transfer a car.
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who has the title? If you do and NOTHING was ever put on paper and he took the car without your concent,ITS STOLEN point blank.If he has the title then your screwed,even in court as NOTHING was put on paper.

EDIT

I just read that you have the pink.There are two ways to do it.Call it in stolen and let police know you know where it is located.Or call for a police standby while you simply take it back,they will not get involved but are there to make sure it is civil.its YOUR car do what you have to do to get it back

[ December 20, 2006, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: HaulinAss Motorsports ]

Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAss Motorsports:
Who has the title? If you do and NOTHING was ever put on paper and he took the car without your concent,ITS STOLEN point blank.If he has the title then your screwed,even in court as NOTHING was put on paper.

EDIT

I just read that you have the pink.There are two ways to do it.Call it in stolen and let police know you know where it is located.Or call for a police standby while you simply take it back,they will not get involved but are there to make sure it is civil.its YOUR car do what you have to do to get it back

but if I have a police officer stand by will they make me pay the guy back the money he did pay me? cause that money is long gone... I "sold" him the car back in June...
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Police will not do anything if you "let" him drive off in the car. That isnt stolen, he basically frauded you and owes you money. Believe me I had this happen and I had to lie and say it was literally stolen. I doubt the police will get in between a civil argument, but they might. You can try that, or court, or get off into some street justice. Check the DMV tho, because you dont need a pink slip to transfer a car.
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

quote:
Originally posted by n8y8:
Police will not do anything if you "let" him drive off in the car. That isnt stolen, he basically frauded you and owes you money. Believe me I had this happen and I had to lie and say it was literally stolen. I doubt the police will get in between a civil argument, but they might. You can try that, or court, or get off into some street justice. Check the DMV tho, because you dont need a pink slip to transfer a car.

well I called to police department and they refused to just come out and stand by... so fuck it... I just went to the dmv and its still registered to me as no-op.. I also went to cadillac dealership and had keys cut for it... I'm just gonna go repo the car....
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should get the money and give it back to him. NO reason you should keep his money AND get the car back......

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
technically thats a civil issue that needs to be dealt with in a civil court between you, the other guy and the judge...you can call the police in your city and explain to them what happened and then see if they will help or tell you to go to a civil court and dispute it there...good luck

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
You should get the money and give it back to him. NO reason you should keep his money AND get the car back......

I wouldn't give him shit back. If he came back to me with the rest of the money then he would get the car back but he certainly would not see a dime from me when he used the car, put miles on the car, or whatever. If your going flake and not return calls or pay your debts, your shit out of luck. Lessoned learned.....Pay my bills.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SIKLEEN/GT:
I f*** up and sold a cadillac that i had to some guy who only payed me half of the money. The agreement was that i would let him take it home

I know i was stupid for letting him take the car with out full payment but I trusted the guy... now I dont want something to happen involving the car and all come back to me because im the registered owner...

After reading it further,you gave him permission.If you call it in stolen thats fuct up in my book.And if you take the car give him his loot or work out a deal to get the rest of your money.I know if someone called the cops on me for false shit,id be fukkin pissed.
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com