Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » I love this area!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: I love this area!
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So i took my parents down to the mining area and we walked around and i took some better pictures of things. On the way back up the road i wanted to stop at this one place i've seen everytime i drive down. So we stop there and it turns out its the bottom of the huge hydromining. What i was seeing was the drainage ditches that bring all the water into another huge shaft and under the road and out the otherside somewhere.
Then my parents and i went to the old mining towns cementary and the poor miners only got some welded train track as a cross but some of the rich ones got head stones.
Heres the pics
 -
This is the shaft under the bridge on the downstream side
 -
This is the bridge that washed away, you can see it in the water.
 -
 -
This is the shaft on the upstream side, its the side we first discovered
 -
This is why they call it Steep Hallow Creek
 -
Heres the sleuthbox that washed down stream and rested next to the shaft
 -
This is wear the bridge would have crossed
 -
This is what the land looks like after Hydromining in the Late 1800s
If you can imagine a mountain right in the middle of that then you'll know how the land looked like before. What they did was dig a drift mine into the mountain with several shafts going in different directions and then they filled each shaft with tons of TNT and blew the entire mountain up and then used the big water cannons to wash the dirt and rock down into their sleuthboxes to collect the gold.

[ November 19, 2006, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: 1968_Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
At the top of that mountain on the left a mansion used to reside there but they tore it down and moved it after the mine was shut down
 -
Heres some of the drainage, people seem to like to dump garbage everywhere [Roll Eyes] Some of the garbage i found though is from the early 1900s, i found an old truck bed, some truck seats, someone dumped oil filters and old air filters, a lot of tires. I didn't hike far into the hydromining though maybe i'll find an old Model T or something
 -
 -
 -
Kinda creepy walking around a cementary where several people were buried in the 1860s
 -
The Jeep chillin where the old mining buildings might have been
 -
All this is within a 5-10 minute drive from my house

[ November 19, 2006, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: 1968_Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe next weekend or soon i am going to take the Jeep through the 4x4 trails and i will get pics of that cause it should be hella fun with the huge ruts and rocks i'll have to crawl over.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You got a sweet back yard/road. I would be doing the same thing. Except I would be on a dirt bike and strolling all around there. Keep posting pics and locations that you find [patriot]

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn judging from the pics it looks like an awesome place to go check out.. cool pics man.

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925five.0  Ford pictures for 925five.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That must have been a site to see. Ive always loved grass valley/nevada city area. Whenever i go to my aunts in gv theirs always something new. you should check out the yuba river sometime.
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by 925five.0:
That must have been a site to see. Ive always loved grass valley/nevada city area. Whenever i go to my aunts in gv theirs always something new. you should check out the yuba river sometime.

All last summer i went to the Yuba River a million times and went swimming. Had hella fun. Next time your up here let me know.

[ November 19, 2006, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: 1968_Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

ttt

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

bigg matt
¯
Member # 1643

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigg matt  Ford pictures for bigg matt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
believe it or not, but ive been down there before. my aunt lived in the area when i was young and she took me to that creek to go swimming. thats a cool area.
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by bigg matt:
believe it or not, but ive been down there before. my aunt lived in the area when i was young and she took me to that creek to go swimming. thats a cool area.

was the water deep when you swam in it? Its not very deep now, was the bridge there when you went down there?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

bigg matt
¯
Member # 1643

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigg matt  Ford pictures for bigg matt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bridge was washed out and no, the water wasnt deep. it was fun gettin there in a beat up old chevy 4x4 though. i dont remember much though. but i know a lot of cool places up there. have you taken chaulk bluff all the way through yet?
have you taken the green horn all the way up the canyon yet? try and find blue hole, its a old mining area that is now a lake. the water is deep blue and from what i hear real deep. its a cool place to go in the summer.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
bridge was washed out and no, the water wasnt deep. it was fun gettin there in a beat up old chevy 4x4 though. i dont remember much though. but i know a lot of cool places up there. have you taken chaulk bluff all the way through yet?
have you taken the green horn all the way up the canyon yet? try and find blue hole, its a old mining area that is now a lake. the water is deep blue and from what i hear real deep. its a cool place to go in the summer.

I have wheeled all the way up Greenhorn i am going to hike chaulk bluff thanksgiving day maybe. You didn't swim in the blue hole did you? I will have to find this area but i won't swim in it they've been testing the waters around the mining areas and have been finding that most of it is incredibly posionous.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:

I have wheeled all the way up Greenhorn i am going to hike chaulk bluff thanksgiving day maybe. You didn't swim in the blue hole did you? I will have to find this area but i won't swim in it they've been testing the waters around the mining areas and have been finding that most of it is incredibly posionous.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

bigg matt
¯
Member # 1643

ya, i swam in it and i turned out ok
wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wikaweez  Ford pictures for wikaweez    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Be safe man!! Love them pictures. Where is this place located again?
Posts: 108 | From: From Da Bay to SAC/Elk G. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com