Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Need help understanding carfax, Please help..

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help understanding carfax, Please help..
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Read last post:

[ November 15, 2006, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will PM you if I can get it.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks let me know [patriot]

--------------------
91 GT

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what does it mean when there is a mileage discrepency?

--------------------
91 GT

whyteLX5.0
¯
Member # 6023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whyteLX5.0  Ford pictures for whyteLX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it said that on a 5.0 i was looking to get. I think it means how the 5.0s dont count above 100k. so they could sell it as 60k original when its really 160k. Or if they changed out the gauges.
Posts: 195 | From: Pittsburg/Antioch | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Hey guys I need help understanding this mileage discrepency issue. I'm looking into a car w/ an advertised 70,000 original miles. However the carfax leads me to believe that this car maybe around 170,000. Could you guys let me know what you think? Thanks [patriot]

-

--------------------
91 GT

svt306snake
¯
Member # 1967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt306snake  Ford pictures for svt306snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
THE CAR HAS OVER 100 THOUSDAND THE 32XXX WHERE IT CAUGHT IT IS WHERE IT HAS ALREADY ROLLED OVER

--------------------
F*** TPS MOTORSPORTS F *** TPS MOTORSPORTS THEY SUCK ASS

TEAM TRUE FORGED X 2 SPONSORED

CAPITAL MUSTANG C.C.

Posts: 5841 | From: SACRAMENTO "916" YA KNOW | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd take that as 164,000 miles and a pain in the ass to pass smog. [patriot] good luck
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

thanks guys. yea I just wrote this guy back re: the issue
quote:

So I pulled the car-fax a reviewed it with several people to gain a better understanding of the mileage discrepancy issue and from the looks of it, this car has rolled passed the 100K mark and the mileage is probably 170,000. I would be able to understand the mileage discrepancy if it was only one error, but the mileage history indicates that this car was correctly clocked at 42K back in 1997 and eventually reached 70K back in 1999. Then the next mileage reported was 3 years later in 2002 where the odometer stated 37,979 miles. Now I believe this mileage discrepancy was reported due to the fact that these odometers roll back to “0” after going past 100K. So at that point it was probably 137K. Meaning around 70K (approx. 23K/yr) was put on the car between 1999 and 2002, after the car was sold in 1999. After that, the mileage seems to remain pretty consistent with the mileage increasing every smog check or owner change. Also you mentioned that this car has had around 4-5 owners, which is really hard to believe if actually is a 70,000 mile car. Do you have any documentation to prove the actual mileage is 70K, because this car-fax proves otherwise? I have attached a copy of the car fax below for you to review.

He wrote back:
quote:
I dont have any documentation except the title itself , I think this has become a bigger ordeal than i thought, im probably just going to keep the car for a while, to me the engine bay and the interior do not look like its been through 100k miles, but what you did state makes sense about the odometer rolling over, sorry if i wasted your time, it looks like i will not be able to sell it for the price i want so i just mind as well keep it and maybe restore ir more and hope the value will go up in the future like my uncles shelby gt350 that i helped him sell about a year ago. Thanks for your time
Damn I'm glad I didn't drive all the way out there to find this out. Thanks guys for your help.

Special thanks to DLo for pulling this carfax for me.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/234029015.html

Thanks
Gus

[ November 15, 2006, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT

925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925five.0  Ford pictures for 925five.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gotta love carfax [Whoo Whooooo!]
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 925five.0:
Gotta love carfax [Whoo Whooooo!]

Actually don't trust car fax too much Its better then nothing but I have had friends were there car was in a huge accident. almost a year later he checked his cars car fax and it said no Accident! SO BECAREFULL

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com