Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 1980 Mustang

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1980 Mustang
SVTMike
¯
Member # 2345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTMike  Ford pictures for SVTMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was planning on getting a 1980 5.0 Mustang from a friend and had a few questions. I know suspension parts are easy to find but how about headers, intake, carb, and heads. Can u buy aftermarket performance parts for the stock 79 engine? Im not trying to make some superfast car. I just wanna replace some of the old parts and make it a little quicker at the same time. It has a Auto tranny.

[ November 09, 2006, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: SVTMike ]

--------------------
1985 1/2 Mustang SVO
2003 SVT Focus

Posts: 766 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A good performance swap would be to install an 87-92 long block with a roller cam. Then add a 4bbl intake and Holley carb off an 83-85, or if you can find a complete 85 motor it will have the intake, carb and roller cam together. You will need to change the flywheel because the engine ballance is different after 81.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
A good performance swap would be to install an 87-92 long block with a roller cam. Then add a 4bbl intake and Holley carb off an 83-85, or if you can find a complete 85 motor it will have the intake, carb and roller cam together. You will need to change the flywheel because the engine ballance is different after 81.

The flywheel is the same as any 82-95.In 81-82 Ford used a 255ci motor which yes was different.then in 82 they went back to the 302.But they 79 Flywheel used the 50oz setup!
Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SVTMike:
I was planning on getting a 1979 5.0 Mustang from a friend and had a few questions. I know suspension parts are easy to find but how about headers, intake, carb, and heads. Can u buy aftermarket performance parts for the stock 79 engine? Im not trying to make some superfast car. I just wanna replace some of the old parts and make it a little quicker at the same time. It has a Auto tranny.

Headers for any foxbody will work.Heads for any 265-351 will work.And yes you ca get ANY aftermarket performance parts you want, www.summitracing.com is your friend!.Basically the car is the same as any 79-93 Mustang except is has a carb instead of efi.
Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
SVTMike
¯
Member # 2345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTMike  Ford pictures for SVTMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK thanks, yeah i was planning on using it as a commuter and maybe doing a few performance mods. Then when the engine goes i was gonna pull the performance parts and put them and a 90 or so 5.0 motor in the car. And also put a performance AOD tranny in it. A 87-93 5.0 motor and AOD tranny will drop right in right? Not other major changes.

--------------------
1985 1/2 Mustang SVO
2003 SVT Focus

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
OK thanks, yeah i was planning on using it as a commuter and maybe doing a few performance mods. Then when the engine goes i was gonna pull the performance parts and put them and a 90 or so 5.0 motor in the car. And also put a performance AOD tranny in it. A 87-93 5.0 motor and AOD tranny will drop right in right? Not other major changes.

if he parts it out i could use the whole car harness! [Big Grin]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

SVTMike
¯
Member # 2345

I just found out that he has a 1980 mustang not a 1979 so i dont wanna deal with that BS 4.2 motor

--------------------
1985 1/2 Mustang SVO
2003 SVT Focus

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I just found out that he has a 1980 mustang not a 1979 so i dont wanna deal with that BS 4.2 motor

ouch! well they both came with 2-barrel intakes. i rather have a carb than the CFI crap on my 84 LX! [Frown] how much is he selling it for?! just curious?

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com