Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 02-04 Z06 vs 04 Cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 02-04 Z06 vs 04 Cobra
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I read a thread a while back where someone said they got rid of their 04 Cobra for a zo6. I can't find the thread so hopefully he sees this post. Anyway I was wondering what the difference was as far as handling and acceleration etc. I am thinking about getting rid of my 04 Cobra and getting a zo6 and wanted some feedback. thanks!
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
z06s are much nicer cars. i'll probably get flamed because this is a mustang site but i've owned a modded 03 and just recently went for a ride on my neighbors 02-03 z06. huge difference.
The z06 handled much better, however.. for a daily driver the ride can be quite harsh.
Power wise.. people will say.. invest a couple of grand on a cobra and you'll have it running 10s. if that's all you care about.. then get keep the cobra.
Acceleration did not seem as neck breaking with the z06. maybe it was the fact that it has less power than my former 03.
Good luck.

--------------------
=(

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
z06s are much nicer cars. i'll probably get flamed because this is a mustang site but i've owned a modded 03 and just recently went for a ride on my neighbors 02-03 z06. huge difference.
The z06 handled much better, however.. for a daily driver the ride can be quite harsh.
Power wise.. people will say.. invest a couple of grand on a cobra and you'll have it running 10s. if that's all you care about.. then get keep the cobra.
Acceleration did not seem as neck breaking with the z06. maybe it was the fact that it has less power than my former 03.
Good luck.

I think I will just go out and test drive some zo6's and see how I like them. I just think I am tired of my 04 and want something different. It put out 470rwhp but I want something more refined. running 10s was never my goal anyway. Besides with just a cam and exhaust a zo6 is quicker than a pullied Cobra [Wink]
87GeeTee
¯
Member # 5905

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87GeeTee  Ford pictures for 87GeeTee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0 5speed:
quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
Good luck.

I think I will just go out and test drive some zo6's and see how I like them. I just think I am tired of my 04 and want something different. It put out 470rwhp but I want something more refined. running 10s was never my goal anyway. Besides with just a cam and exhaust a zo6 is quicker than a pullied Cobra [Wink]
If you want to see a fast Z06, talk to Pakisho. I think he still posts here, but you gotta ask someone in the street racing section.

--------------------
Member #: 5145
PWA Owner & SRA Member
Two-Gun Motorsports

2002 GT; Gone But Not Forgotten
1987 GT Vert (Sold!)

Posts: 4278 | From: San Pablo | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The cars are in two different categories. There is no comparison. The Z06 is a true sports car. Different suspensions, different setups, so of course the acceleration is going to seem that much more.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I traded in my 03' Cobra for an 04' Z06.

We can start with handling. The Cobra can't even come close to the turn in of the Z06. I wish Ford would pull weight off the Mustangs nose instead of adding it. The first time I drove a Z06 was on an A-X course and I think I had to turn 4 times for the first corner. I wasn't used to the car turning when you turned the wheel.

I was running mid 12's in the 1/4 at Sac raceway in the Cobra about 90 degrees. I think I had a cold air on it. I ran very low 12's in the Z06 on a 104 degree day.

Overall the Z06 has a better fit and finish. I did like the Cobra but the lack of traction and the fact that is pushes so bad made it an easy choice for the upgrade. Also, the chicks dig the Vette. [Big Grin]

I am thinking about maybe getting another one or an 07' GT to race but we will see. The 03-04 Cobra's are easy to mod and they can be made to go fast in a straight line but I like the turns. Anyone can make a car go fast straight. It is hard to go fast in the turns.

The Cobra's get expensive to make them into good OT cars. You have to swap out the rear and lighten the car up a lot. Then they still weigh a lot. Pray for the GT strip model. I can't remember the the badge they put on it. That would be a nice car to have even for street use.

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

quote:
Originally posted by 04Z06:
I traded in my 03' Cobra for an 04' Z06.

We can start with handling. The Cobra can't even come close to the turn in of the Z06. I wish Ford would pull weight off the Mustangs nose instead of adding it. The first time I drove a Z06 was on an A-X course and I think I had to turn 4 times for the first corner. I wasn't used to the car turning when you turned the wheel.

I was running mid 12's in the 1/4 at Sac raceway in the Cobra about 90 degrees. I think I had a cold air on it. I ran very low 12's in the Z06 on a 104 degree day.

Overall the Z06 has a better fit and finish. I did like the Cobra but the lack of traction and the fact that is pushes so bad made it an easy choice for the upgrade. Also, the chicks dig the Vette. [Big Grin]

I am thinking about maybe getting another one or an 07' GT to race but we will see. The 03-04 Cobra's are easy to mod and they can be made to go fast in a straight line but I like the turns. Anyone can make a car go fast straight. It is hard to go fast in the turns.

The Cobra's get expensive to make them into good OT cars. You have to swap out the rear and lighten the car up a lot. Then they still weigh a lot. Pray for the GT strip model. I can't remember the the badge they put on it. That would be a nice car to have even for street use.

E

I think you are the guy I got my spintech catback for my Cobra from if so whats up! Anyway as soon as I can sell my car I will be gettin a zo6. also if you know is their an year 01-04 z06 which is better than the other? does any model year have more problems than the others?
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love Fords and all but you can't compare a nose-heavy IRS-ended to a tracking machine with such great weight distribution. Doesn't the vette have like 52/48 distribution and Carbon-fiber front fenders, body panels, aluminum frame, titanium rods, etc.

That being said, I would have a Terminator for the straights and a Vette (or a prepped notch) for tracking if a magic genie would let me.

They are both great cars though..

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its kind of unfair to compare the both, its like apples Vs oranges. I LOVE FORD specially the 2003 COBRA, but there is no comparison to a z06 vette. I'm looking to find a nice one my self! GOOD LUCK

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Absolutely no comparison.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

E

I think you are the guy I got my spintech catback for my Cobra from if so whats up! Anyway as soon as I can sell my car I will be gettin a zo6. also if you know is their an year 01-04 z06 which is better than the other? does any model year have more problems than the others? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yep, that was me. So you are going to make the jump to the Z06?? Nice.. You woun't be disappointed.

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

quote:
Originally posted by NavidR:
Its kind of unfair to compare the both, its like apples Vs oranges. I LOVE FORD specially the 2003 COBRA, but there is no comparison to a z06 vette. I'm looking to find a nice one my self! GOOD LUCK

I agree. They have very different purposes. Love Fords and the Z06.
[patriot]

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A buddy of mine has a modded 01 Z06. This car is NUTS when it comes to handling, it feels like it's on rails. He took me for a ride on HWY 84 and we were losing Sport Bikes some turns (I almost shit my paint I was so scared). I hate to say this b/c I love 03/04 Cobras, but a Z06 is a VERY balanced car.

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

quote:
Originally posted by 04Z06:
quote:

E

I think you are the guy I got my spintech catback for my Cobra from if so whats up! Anyway as soon as I can sell my car I will be gettin a zo6. also if you know is their an year 01-04 z06 which is better than the other? does any model year have more problems than the others?
Yep, that was me. So you are going to make the jump to the Z06?? Nice.. You woun't be disappointed.

E [/QB][/QUOTE]

I will get a zo6 just as soon as I can find a buyer for my Cobra [Big Grin]

02EBZ06
¯
Member # 436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 02EBZ06  Ford pictures for 02EBZ06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
91 5.0 Speed,

FYI: I've had 2 Z06's. I consider myself a "good" driver 1/4 miler that is.

About my 02: Sticky Tires + 125shot NX Express = 11.0X@126.X. Stock, I ran a string of 11.8s@116-117 at Sac Raceway. Stock = stock everything except tires. Dynoed 364rwhp showroom stock, car 3117lbs. One trick I don't think Mustang owners can feel is a VERY LOW coefficient of drag for the vette. I believe this why it is so fast on top end and through the 1/4.

Hope that helps. Note, not dissin the mules. I'm probably buying a 1969 Fastback this week.

Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juiced-03  Ford pictures for Juiced-03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
Absolutely no comparison.

Yep, I've never lost to a Z06 yet! [Big Grin]

I think they look like a door stopper crossed with the batmobile, but that's just my opinion. Yeah they handle better but honestly with a few mods my Cobra handles pretty damn well. You could take it farther and throw coilovers and the MM suspension package on it if you want to get serious. The 03-04 Cobra just has a 'cool' factor to it for some reason. The joy it provides with minimal mods is awesome. There is a lot of dead weight that is easy to get rid of on the Cobra. My only real complaint is that it does need better brakes.

[ November 07, 2006, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Juiced-03 ]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com