Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Mechanics, how dod you like your jobs?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Mechanics, how dod you like your jobs?
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im thinking of making it my major, but I hear y'all don't get paid much.

How much do you make and how do you like your jobs?

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
eljefe
¯
Member # 1753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eljefe  Ford pictures for eljefe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i seem to be making more than most my friends my age right now (23) but i don't want to do it my whole life. i'll have my a.s. in auto tech at the end of next semester, i just need to finish some general ed classes. i also will have my smog lic's in feb. full ase master and kia master but i just moved over to a nissan dealer.
right now i only make $17/hr because i really needed to get away from kia so i took a slight pay cut. when i get my smog lic's i'll be making $20/hr or more.
as for liking my job, its ok, i don't want to do it forever thats for sure. i'm going to be able to have a job and support myself to get through more school and get an engineering degree. plus i'll allways be able to fall back on being a mechanic.

--------------------
1969 mustang coupe - the project
1996 mystic cobra - 13.64@105 - sold :(
2007 yaris - daily driver

Posts: 737 | From: holiday in rancho cambodia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well I love my job, but I've been doing it for only 3 years, i have my smog license(though I'm not practicing it) and 5 more ASEs certs. I get paid in the mid 20s/ per hour right now(though a good part of that goes towards tool, LOL). I think I just got lucky to where and who I work for.
I am very competent, but I do know some classmate of mine from Sequoia Institute that gets paid way lower than i am, and they were better than me while at school. I think your salary just goes as high as how much of yourself you put into your job, and your boss has to know that you love what you do. I think if I don't try to start my own shop, I'll be wrenching till I can no longer do it. I love it
And plus just look at how much you can save in parts and labor if you work at a shop..

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
82 GT-5.0, 5spd, IRS *SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD
82 Mercury Capri 5.0 *SOLD

Posts: 855 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
eljefe
¯
Member # 1753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eljefe  Ford pictures for eljefe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the bay area also pays much better than here in sac. every tech i know in the bay makes alot more, even with the same exp and certs. but its costs that much more to live in the bay also.

--------------------
1969 mustang coupe - the project
1996 mystic cobra - 13.64@105 - sold :(
2007 yaris - daily driver

Posts: 737 | From: holiday in rancho cambodia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by eljefe:
the bay area also pays much better than here in sac. every tech i know in the bay makes alot more, even with the same exp and certs. but its costs that much more to live in the bay also.

you are soo damn right, so expensive to live here

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
82 GT-5.0, 5spd, IRS *SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD
82 Mercury Capri 5.0 *SOLD

Posts: 855 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com