Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Computer gurus.. please help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer gurus.. please help
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so.. i was buying a usb flash card today at office max and got walked by the wireless router section and saw a cheap ass linksys wireless-g broadband router for sale.. IT was SO cheap that i could not pass it up.

SO.. i got it.. came home.. installed the CD..
it guided me through the process which was short and simple..

Connect the wire from my ethernet cable from my moden to the router.
Connect the wire they provided from the router to the laptop..
Connect the power wire to the router.

So.. everything went fine. obviously now i had a blue wire coming from the router to the laptop.. so i unpluged it and lost the connection..
i open the wireless window on my computer and it shows this.
 -
it shows that the connection is unsecure..
How do i make it secure so people don't use my connection?
Thanks.

--------------------
=(

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you have to secure it through the router, i am not sure on how to do this, let me know when you find out i need to do this to our internet

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i really don't know anything man..
I'm about to give up and just let the neighboors get free intertnet..
I've been trying for a little while and nada..
man..
Anyone out there can help me out?
thanks.

--------------------
=(

wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wikaweez  Ford pictures for wikaweez    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What model is the wifi router?

first conntect to the router via copper "rj45" cable. Then connect via your IE browser using "http://192.168.0.1"

1-changed the password of the router (by default it will be username "admin" password "admin"

2- Disable the "ssid" information of the router

3-For the security encryption of the router you have a few options to choose from via 64 bit or 128 bit encryption via HEXA DECIMAL.

Also, you may want to restrict the router using a "MAC ADDRESS" of the interface card. (The MAC ADDRESS is pretty much like a VIN# on a car possibly a GT/COBRA/LX/ SALEEN.

Perform steps 1-3 then hoola back then I will walk you trhough the whole process.

If it's Network I can do figure 8'---DOUGHNUTS--- and SWAG em all day.

THIS is just the beginning of securing your router. Although I can HACK all wifi routers w\no problem!! Pretty much HI-JACK the network with EASE....

Posts: 108 | From: From Da Bay to SAC/Elk G. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wikaweez  Ford pictures for wikaweez    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you got NEXTEL pm me with your nextel ID.. this would be easier for me to walk you through this setup. Otherwise open up the web access to the router from the router itself and I can set this up for from my system.......
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wikaweez:

first conntect to the router via copper "rj45" cable. Then connect via your IE browser using "http://192.168.0.1"

1-changed the password of the router (by default it will be username "admin" password "admin"

3-For the security encryption of the router you have a few options to choose from via 64 bit or 128 bit encryption via HEXA DECIMAL.

Also, you may want to restrict the router using a "MAC ADDRESS" of the interface card. (The MAC ADDRESS is pretty much like a VIN# on a car possibly a GT/COBRA/LX/ SALEEN.

Perform steps 1-3 then hoola back then I will walk you trhough the whole process.

THIS is just the beginning of securing your router. Although I can HACK all wifi routers w\no problem!! Pretty much HI-JACK the network with EASE....

the vin your talking about you need to set up for each computer thats going to be using the network correct?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

YEs Zir!
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

quote:

ok.. what is the WIFI router? it says wireless -g on the box.. si that what you are talking about?
i entered that ip address and it came back as server is taking to long to respond. [Frown]

--------------------
=(

wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

open your command line by going to ----the Start button then select run. type" cmd " in the box.

A black window will open up..

then type "ipconfig /all"

this is what it should look like..

C:\Documents and Settings\ztribe>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : winxp-lt01
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.invalid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-74-07-BF-14

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.invalid
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG511 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-09-5B-C6-F2-BC
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.232
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.254
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, October 27, 2006 7:01:10 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 8:14:07 PM

Ethernet adapter {BC1DF1A9-E0D5-4621-94BD-E58B149DA9A3}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-42-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\ztribe>
C:\Documents and Settings\ztribe>

wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

this will be the ipo address of the router.

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.254
then what ever the ip is..

open your IE browser then type"http://"the ip address" of the router

once you hit the router a popup box prompting you to login/..

make sure you have the username and password to the router.

wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

do you have IM? what is your IM?
wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

what is the serial number of the router it should be on the bottom. I'll send you a link for the instruction on how to set this up.. the cd should be self explanable and easy to follow.
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Jmir018 <<--aol.
or Jmir018@hotmail.com <--.. i'll sign up to both

--------------------
=(

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I help you out. Aim me within the hour on essasin000 those are zeros or pm me your number I can walk you through it. It'll take 5 mins at most.
wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

Didi you get it working?
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

nope.. i gave up..
So.. i'm connected wirelessly but my connection is still unsecure.. [Frown]
I just got frustraded and gave up last night.. i'll try again after b-fast.

--------------------
=(

wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

send me a screen shot of the administrative page and i can give you some pointers.
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

quote:
send me a screen shot of the administrative page and i can give you some pointers.

i don't even know what the administrative page is. [Frown]
i've given up.. wireless is not for me.
I'll return it to the store tomorrow. [Frown]

--------------------
=(

slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
quote:

i don't even know what the administrative page is. [Frown]
i've given up.. wireless is not for me.
I'll return it to the store tomorrow. [Frown]

I'm about in the same boat as you trying to hook up my wireless printer to my router, I'm gonna give it one more try with weez's directions.

weez check your pm's and shoot me your nextel # i think that would best trying, this computer stuff is all out of my league.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com