Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Computer guys.. please help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer guys.. please help
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so. i have a laptop... pretty old but i really don't really wish to upgrade just yet..
I currently have comcast and will continue having them for 7 more months before my 24 bucks per month plan expires.
I wanna be able to walk around my house without having to plugged into the cable moden.
I wanna spend as little as possible.. so what is that i need?
I'm really clueless when it comes down to computer so any advice will help.
Thanks.
Jersey

[ October 04, 2006, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Jmir018 ]

--------------------
=(

ChrisS
¯
Member # 6699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisS  Ford pictures for ChrisS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
linksys wireless router, and a wireless card for your laptop, and about 20 minutes to set it up
Posts: 632 | From: Dallas Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
price wise.. what am i looking at?
I'm just tired of having limited mobility on a laptop.. you know.. that defeats the purpose of having a "portable" notebook.
Thanks..

--------------------
=(

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you'll want to grab this:
http://www.justdeals.com/Items/WGT624NAR?

and if your laptop does not currently have a wifi adapter built-in, then you'll need one of these for it:
http://www.justdeals.com/Items/WG511UNAR?

I would not recommend a new linksys wireless router right now, there quality has gone to complete shit on the new stuff they are putting out.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your laptop has the wireless has wireless capabilities internally go to comcast trade in the cable modem they gave you for a wireless router. It should be free of charge with the promotion mine was.
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

quote:
Originally posted by slidewayz94:
if your laptop has the wireless has wireless capabilities internally go to comcast trade in the cable modem they gave you for a wireless router. It should be free of charge with the promotion mine was.

-

Does this mean, i have wireless built in?
frankly, i'm clueless..

--------------------
=(

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also for the computer guys, I want to post pics that I have in my computer from my digital camera. How do I do that so I can post them in topics like the ones on this board in the forums about posting pics of my car. Thanks in advance.
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
quote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/jmir018/wireless.jpg

frankly, i'm clueless..

Yes. Pick up a wireless router and follow the instructions on setup. It's actually relatively simple.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

quote:
Originally posted by DLo:
quote:
quote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/jmir018/wireless.jpg

frankly, i'm clueless..

Yes. Pick up a wireless router and follow the instructions on setup. It's actually relatively simple.
[Whoo Whooooo!]
Off to comcast i go.. they have a store two blocks away so this works out great. [patriot]
Thanks guys.

--------------------
=(

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

quote:
Originally posted by LAST302:
Also for the computer guys, I want to post pics that I have in my computer from my digital camera. How do I do that so I can post them in topics like the ones on this board in the forums about posting pics of my car. Thanks in advance.

well.. if you already uploaded the pics into your computer then you are half way there.
All you need to do is find a place to host them.
I use www.photobucket.com ... there are other free hosting sites online, you can even host them on this site, i just like photobucket because once you create directory, you can find all your pics easily.
So, create an account. load your pictures(pretty straightforward) copy and past the link with the following format
[img]WWW.address where you photo is uploaded[/img]
And you should be good to go.
Good luck.

--------------------
=(

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Jersey

Just for the hell of it i thought i'd let ya know so when you Comcast service is up....

Just got my Verizon Wireless Broadband.

$60/month and you can use it almost everywhere.

So far it's speed is comparable to my DSL but there a few little quirks but works pretty good.

It does not like not like to d/l large vids and movies but general surfing and e-mailing is just fine.

SBC was jacking me for the most expensive/slowest DSL i thought i'd just switch and see how it works for a year.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go find a wireless router on craigslist. i bought a wireless G linksys router for about $40. and if you're worreid about the setup, linksys has some really excellent support to help u if you run into any issues. the software pretty much sets up everything for u..almost like plug and play.
also look into what sort of wireless your laptop has as there are different classes of wireless..whether its A, G, etc. and then decide which one is best for u.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LAST302:

well.. if you already uploaded the pics into your computer then you are half way there.
All you need to do is find a place to host them.
I use www.photobucket.com ... there are other free hosting sites online, you can even host them on this site, i just like photobucket because once you create directory, you can find all your pics easily.
So, create an account. load your pictures(pretty straightforward) copy and past the link with the following format
[img]WWW.address where you photo is uploaded[/img]
And you should be good to go.
Good luck.

Thanks alot, much appreciated.
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com