Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Supra motor in a Mustang, what do you think? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Supra motor in a Mustang, what do you think?
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm thinking of swapping a supra motor into a Mustang. I had an 88 4 cyl hatch but I got rid of it. I'd rather just buy a built complete roller instead of starting from scratch and I found an 88 notch already cert to 8.5 (ran 8.4's when it had a motor). The 4 link is fully dialed in and car tracks straight as an arrow. Its tubbed with a built 9 inch. All it needs is a motor and trans. So I'm thinking about it especially since its already set up and so light. Here's some extra parts that I have that I can drop into the roller.

-- complete supra long block with all the accessories including turbo and intake.
-- built Coan turbo 400 with tbrake and reverse manual valve body
-- Neal Chance Bolt together billet cover lightweight converter.
-- 4 row intercooler
-- universal stand alone engine management system
-- full direct port nitrous

I can basically drop the whole engine and drivetrain in a car then just custom make things like exhaust and intercooler piping. I would still need to buy a few little things like ignition components and other misc electrical but most of it is already there.

My reasoning for doing this is because Mustangs are light and solid axle cars. I was going to do this to a 240 but I think the stang would offer better stability. Plus the parts are cheaper and available everywhere. The supra engine that I would drop in is already guaranteed and proven to do 1200 hp to the wheels. All that power in a lightweight gutted drag 88 notch. Would this be cool or would people think its uncool?

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
uncool
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
would probably haul ass if it ever worked or hooked up but it sounds like it belongs in the fast n the furious, just my 2 cents tho

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man take that shit to the supraforums [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i say do it. i think you would be the first to do it.first it was greg wih the sbc in the notch now you with at supra engine in a notch.

i say go for it. im a fan of custom/oddball stuff like that.

Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
ChrisS
¯
Member # 6699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisS  Ford pictures for ChrisS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do it
Posts: 632 | From: Dallas Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Interesting project idea. However, seems like a lot of work.

I don't know much about Supra shit but you could proably do a turbo'd 408 build up for less $$$ and less work.

That would be bad ass for sure [Smile]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Weak!!! How much would you be spending on that supra motor? Probably too much. I bet my 10,000 budget car will haul ass just as much as if not faster than that.

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 306Coupe:
Weak!!! How much would you be spending on that supra motor? Probably too much. I bet my 10,000 budget car will haul ass just as much as if not faster than that.

His post say's He already has the drivetrain.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do it!

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do it

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i say do it, but the thought of a fart cannon sticking out of the back of a notch makes me gringe.

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Red C5
¯
Member # 1561

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red C5  Ford pictures for Red C5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think someone already did it, I'll try to find the link but not to the extent you would. If I had the parts I would do it.
inferno03
¯
Member # 6519

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for inferno03  Ford pictures for inferno03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
STUPID!! if you want supra power, get a supra, not a mustang.

--------------------
There are two types of cars in this world, Ford and everything else. >:)

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't see why this set up would not hook and not haul ass. For those that don't know about the supra combo I'm talking about, its a combo that puts supras well into the 8s weighing 3500+ lbs on irs and a small 10.5 tire. With a lightweight, live axle, full frame, tubbed, big tire combo this car should really move. I don't see where some of you like 306poop think you can keep up with this mustang/supra engine combo with cheapo 10k cars. Hell that 10k budget car couldn't even come close to keeping up with my car let alone something more geared toward drag racing like this.

Yah it will probably sicken a lot of die hard Ford peeps but I think it would be a cool combo. That fart can exhaust may have to go though LOL. Hell with the full cusom exhaust there should be no problem to make dual pipes just for domestic like purposes. But if its a drag car who cares about exhaust it would just run off the down pipe anyway. The car would certainly throw people for a loop when they see and hear it. They'd think, WTF is in that car??? Supras at this power level actually sound very cool and very unlike the rice rockets you're thinking of.

hmmmmmmm I do have all the main components. The question is whether I can get this roller for a decent price. Right now I have 2 240s that I can drop this combo into. 1 is a 1995 240 and the other is a 1972 240z. Or I could just keep the parts as spares for my car. Decisions decisions.

--------------------

Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
I don't see why this set up would not hook and not haul ass. For those that don't know about the supra combo I'm talking about, its a combo that puts supras well into the 8s weighing 3500+ lbs on irs and a small 10.5 tire. With a lightweight, live axle, full frame, tubbed, big tire combo this car should really move. I don't see where some of you like 306poop think you can keep up with this mustang/supra engine combo with cheapo 10k cars. Hell that 10k budget car couldn't even come close to keeping up with my car let alone something more geared toward drag racing like this.

Yah it will probably sicken a lot of die hard Ford peeps but I think it would be a cool combo. That fart can exhaust may have to go though LOL. Hell with the full cusom exhaust there should be no problem to make dual pipes just for domestic like purposes. But if its a drag car who cares about exhaust it would just run off the down pipe anyway. The car would certainly throw people for a loop when they see and hear it. They'd think, WTF is in that car??? Supras at this power level actually sound very cool and very unlike the rice rockets you're thinking of.

hmmmmmmm I do have all the main components. The question is whether I can get this roller for a decent price. Right now I have 2 240s that I can drop this combo into. 1 is a 1995 240 and the other is a 1972 240z. Or I could just keep the parts as spares for my car. Decisions decisions.

I would do the 72 240,that would be sick. Or even one of those early toyotas that kinda look like a small 60's camaro. If you could ever get it to hook, oh my god.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

yah I was thinking about that. Someone already has a 240z with a supra motor in it. Its not really radical but being that its so light it traps 150 and runs low 9s. He can still turn up the boost a good 10+ more psi too. But I'm looking for something with a longer wheel base those little 240s are short. Would be scary to break the tires lose down track!

--------------------

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2JZ in a Fox = NOT HYPHY

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Why not?

--------------------

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you just dont do it....how bout this. "treat it like a sore dick and dont fuck with it"....lol

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

65 custom
¯
Member # 3173

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65 custom  Ford pictures for 65 custom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i say do it, it would be a bad ass project if u could pull it off. i wouldnt mind snapin a couple of shots at the show and wouldnt mind a ride. but that will be pretty creative i know that they had a hell of a time to get the rb26 motor into that mustang in tokoy drift is it going to be that much work or less. i am a die hard ford guy but i still think it would be cool. and fun to drive and just blow peopls minds
Posts: 128 | From: mountian view | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
TuxMask-Andy
¯
Member # 3615

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuxMask-Andy  Ford pictures for TuxMask-Andy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If team solo can run a chevy motor in his mustang and get respect I don't see why not cummings can run a supra motor and not get the same respect.

The only reason why i wouldn't swap a supra motor into a mustang b/c it does limit the amount of classes you can compete in for competition.

Posts: 407 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an idea! How bout puttin the Supra motor in a Supra!!!!!! [Razz]

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
First Place Performance
¯
Member # 6277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Place Performance  Ford pictures for First Place Performance  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you do it, dual exhuast it, no single fart can please. At least make it look like a stang. Then that would be cool.

--------------------
First Place Performance, LTD.
www.fppauto.com
Your One Stop Shop For EVERYTHING Automotive!

Posts: 66 | From: Patterson, CA or Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why not put that set up in an '89 GTA body... or a GNX body?

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com