Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » bay area auto painters

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: bay area auto painters
925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925five.0  Ford pictures for 925five.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
who here does painting on the side? Basically a whole car. Also body work is a plus too. i have a limited budget so lmk pricing. Body work a must first then paint.

[ September 14, 2006, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: EASTBAY5_0 ]

1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1991CHP  Ford pictures for 1991CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1FAST89GT may be able to help you.

--------------------
Asphalt Mafia: Founder.

I felt guilty once, but she woke up half way through it.

http://gotbluemilk.com/web050516/24/index.html

Posts: 815 | From: S.F. / SACRAMENTO | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925five.0  Ford pictures for 925five.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
t3
NCALSVT
¯
Member # 3205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NCALSVT  Ford pictures for NCALSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it may not be a good idea to paint the parts at differnt times, color shade may come out differnt or even the flop.
925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

edit T3 [burnout]

[ September 14, 2006, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: EASTBAY5_0 ]

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
depending on the color and....

...weather, humidity, air pressure,air temperature and reducer, used....

basically a good painter can paint all the parts separately. and at different times.(as long as it isn't a pearl or candy) JUST USE A PNEUMATIC PAINT SHAKER. If it is a metallic or mica color spray the same way as all the other parts. same reducer/reduction. same air pressure.
***IF THERE IS A CATAYLST FOR THE BASE DO NOT CATAYLYZE THE WHOLE AMOUNT OF PAINT, ONLY CATALYZE WHAT YOU ARE SPRAYING AT THAT MOMENT***
the secret is to mix enough paint b4 you even start the project. don't run out in the middle of the job and remix. don't spray the parts without agitating the paint first.
the point is: if you are doing a complete...mix a gallon and a half.(average sized car) instead of just a gallon. use the half gallon as a base. make sure you have a quart left over after everything is said and done.
because you know damn well that someone will scratch it and there will be a repaint or a blend in.
like DuPont's theory goes.... match the value of the color b4 you start spraying the actual color.
if you are spraying a white or a bright color. spray some white sealer or a white as a foundation b4 spraying the actual color. spray a test panel( white and black spray out card) on side while painting the parts. counting coats of paint and checking for coverage.
use a smith victor 600w light and inspect the parts while painting. checking for dirt and or dry overspray and also coverage. I use a lot of tack rags.

simple

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

[Confused] NO one is trying to make $$$ ??
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no one can afford me

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

lowest quote from maaco i got was 2k. i need something for around 1k to 1,500.i know its not much but im not trying to spend more on paint than what i paid for the car. i have cash in hand.

TTT

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black 06:
no one can afford me

why not lower you prices then [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

if it cost $3 for a gallon of gas. and a million dollars for a home.

and maybe $500 dollars a week to survive and support a kid or two.(just for expenses)

why would anyone want to paint your car for free?

a restoration "starts" at 120 hours X $70.00 per hr. some guys charge more some less.

paint is made from petroleum. if gas is up. then paint is up.

IF I did a "cheap" paint job on your car and the paint started peeling around the windows & moldings. What would you say?
If the paint started to fade bubble and boil. In 6 months. What would your friends say? Oh that macco paint job sucks ass. Don't go there. They do shitty work.

a gallon of silver basecoat chromapremier costs between $600-$800. good clear costs between $300-$500.

good primer cost about half what the clear costs.
the sealer/valueshade under the base. maybe another $50 bucks.
what about tape, sandpaper, masking paper. Seam sealer, gravel guard, under coating, razor blades, scuff pads, soap, paint thinner???
5 gallons of lacquer thinner costs. $50 or more.

paint stores raise prices 20% annually. (no matter what)

[ September 14, 2006, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Black 06 ]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u know the saying...u get what u pay for
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

[ September 14, 2006, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Black 06 ]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

NCALSVT
¯
Member # 3205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NCALSVT  Ford pictures for NCALSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
black 06 know his shit, i got out the body shop but still got a my sat and devillbiss guns, also on painting parts seperate, make sure you record your surroundings, temp, how long the paint was mixed, and repeat the same process for a closer match..where you work at black 06 gotta both for rent by any chance got some small projects.
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pm sent
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

I need a job thats why my attitude is shitty. sorry if I offended anyone.
plus my car is down as well. FTW ! [BS flag]

[ September 15, 2006, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Black 06 ]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

lostsoul
¯
Member # 5797

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostsoul  Ford pictures for lostsoul    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Down from what?

--------------------
slp/ati procharger

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

down...meaning not running.

tuning issues... I guess my predator is no good.

and now I need to deal with a new guy and retune/dyno. And somehow warranty my tuner through this new guy.

thanks to gil442 for the hook up on the new tuner guy!

[ September 17, 2006, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Black 06 ]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com