Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 4cyl coupe

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4cyl coupe
5.0_707
¯
Member # 5893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0_707  Ford pictures for 5.0_707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im thinkn of picking up a 4 cyl coupe and one day convert it to a 5.0 any tips or suggestions on what to do and what not to do? anyone know how much that would cost? any pros/cons of doing this? i have been searching for some info about doing it but i would also like to hear about experiences some of you have had...
any and all info is helpful!
thanks
samuel

six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IMHO, I have had the same thoughts. I'll cruz it for awhile, start w/the suspension first, then the Motor ect. But I have "heard" from allot of people that it's not worth it. Mainly B/C after all is said and done, the time & money you put in to it could have bought and built a bitchin 5.0.

Just my .02

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it took 1500 to get my conversion running and driving as a v8 with all v8 components.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/252793

IMHO completely worth it.

I'm about $4k into it right now after 2 years of owning it and have a vortech s-trim and front mount intercooler sitting in the garage waiting to go in.

I think it would be quite hard to find a 5.0/5spd notchback with black interior with all bolt-ons and a blower for $4k

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
it took 1500 to get my conversion running and driving as a v8 with all v8 components.

I'm about $4k into it right now after 2 years of owning it and have a vortech s-trim and front mount intercooler sitting in the garage waiting to go in.

I think it would be quite hard to find a 5.0/5spd notchback with black interior with all bolt-ons and a blower for $4k

Nice pics and details blind. My current project was once a 4 cyclinder! Still is register as a 4 banger.

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

5.0_707
¯
Member # 5893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0_707  Ford pictures for 5.0_707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok so I searched through the tech talk section for info on conversions and seen something about if you have a 89-93 4cyl coupe you can only use the same year 5.0 parts...why is that?
Migs
¯
Member # 5439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Migs  Ford pictures for Migs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
PM or talk to SilverLX, I think he and a few other people busted out a 4 cyl conversion in a 3-4 day weekend. Hes done 3-4 i cant remember.

--------------------
R.I.P SilverLX! You are missed bro.

Posts: 348 | From: Healdsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
platinumplus
¯
Member # 2249

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for platinumplus  Ford pictures for platinumplus    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats a good question,maybe because every mustang model had parts that were a little different and to make shure the installation goes smooth even when it comes to SMOG
Posts: 402 | From: SanJose CA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5point0707:
ok so I searched through the tech talk section for info on conversions and seen something about if you have a 89-93 4cyl coupe you can only use the same year 5.0 parts...why is that?

because the wiring harness's changed almost every year after 89

for ease of installation it is the best choice to get the engine harness from the same year as the 4cyl chassis.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I agree, well I change my mind after seeing Blinds conversion. It seems very possible w/some hard work and time.

PS, BLIND = [Eek!] [worship] [worship] [worship]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by six 5.0:
quote:

I agree, well I change my mind after seeing Blinds conversion. It seems very possible w/some hard work and time.

PS, BLIND = [Eek!] [worship] [worship] [worship]

thanks [Big Grin]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com