Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » interior painting........

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: interior painting........
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i want to paint some of my interior parts(i.e.-the hard plastic interior pieces) and i know some people here have painted there interior's and i wanted to know what was the paint they used and was were the steps they took.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm planning on doing some painting myself. I was told that you can use the Krylon plastic paint. Just sand all the pieces good and spray the paint on lightly. I'm sure adding a little clear coat would help protect the paint from chipping, but I'm not sure if you want a shine for the interior pieces. Another solution MAY BE using Duplicolor's bumper paint, which is made for plastic and shouldn't chip under flexing.

Not sure if any of these work for sure, but let me know if you decide to try them and tell me how it goes...

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWayzSix:
I'm planning on doing some painting myself. I was told that you can use the Krylon plastic paint. Just sand all the pieces good and spray the paint on lightly. I'm sure adding a little clear coat would help protect the paint from chipping, but I'm not sure if you want a shine for the interior pieces. Another solution MAY BE using Duplicolor's bumper paint, which is made for plastic and shouldn't chip under flexing.

Not sure if any of these work for sure, but let me know if you decide to try them and tell me how it goes...

if you want you can come over (only if you bring the coupe) and see how it goes.
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
don't paint it, dye it. A company called SEM sells the dye you need in the color you want. Hayward color got them in spray cans, and you can buy the vinyl and plastic prep that also comes in a spray can. have fun, and don't forget to tape off your lines.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
don't paint it, dye it. A company called SEM sells the dye you need in the color you want. Hayward color got them in spray cans, and you can buy the vinyl and plastic prep that also comes in a spray can. have fun, and don't forget to tape off your lines.

so Hayward color has SEM dye in spray cans? If so, then thats what I'll be doing these next couple weekends [Whoo Whooooo!] Do you know if the dye is only for plastic, or can you use it on cloth and/or vinyl?

--------------------

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWayzSix:

if you want you can come over (only if you bring the coupe) and see how it goes.
When you gonna do it? I'll be in Hayward on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I'll pass by if you'r painting [burnout]

--------------------

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
plastic, vinyl, cloth... even carpet...

shit's like $10 a can, you'll need 3 grey and 1 black. or 3-4 black if you wanna do it all black

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
plastic, vinyl, cloth... even carpet...

shit's like $10 a can, you'll need 3 grey and 1 black. or 3-4 black if you wanna do it all black

all black where is hayward color?
got theyre number or address?
im going down to the body shop tomorrow and pick up some of the pieces and prob paint them on tues or weds.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do not forget to get the grease stripper. I forget what brand I used. And dont forget to get the adhesion promoter. I honestly wouldnt do a dye job to black, I would go get some OEM black pieces. But if you gotta do it, take your time and do it right. And take the pieces all the way apary and do it.

I did a medium gray to titanium gray and it came out pretty tight.

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Jav, Hayward color is directly behind the Albertson's on Harder. If you're driving down Harder you can't really see it, but if you turn into the street right after the plaza with Albertson's, Nation's, Foot Express, etc...then you'll see it.

--------------------

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently finished re-coloring the interior on my '85. Went from gray to medium parchment and got my paint from 50resto. Vinyl based paint for soft surfaces, lacquer based for hard plastic. Came out really well but we'll see how it holds up over time.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
5.0_707
¯
Member # 5893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0_707  Ford pictures for 5.0_707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone have pics of parts they have painted?
87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
i want to paint some of my interior parts(i.e.-the hard plastic interior pieces) and i know some people here have painted there interior's and i wanted to know what was the paint they used and was were the steps they took.

I did the interior to my 94 and it came out very nice. Use Model Paint in the form of spray cans. You can find them in hobby shops, K mart etc. You still have to prep with primer and sanding just as you would any other painting project. Use good primer. After the 2nd coat of paint you can use a clear coat that will protect the paint. The model paints come in some cool colors. I used one that looks like the Lazer red color and it was an exact match. Matter of fact I will be putting it back into my 95 and I will post pics when I get around to it.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, These are the pics. Keep in mind they have been in my shed for the last 2 1/2 years and did not do well in my recent move. But you get the picture.
 -  -  -

[ July 10, 2006, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: 95GTConvtACE ]

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

pics look like shit, you really would have to see it in person. There is metallic flake in there and you can't see it in the pics. Needs a touch up too.

[ July 10, 2006, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: 95GTConvtACE ]

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com