Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » '06 GTO vs. '06 GT

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: '06 GTO vs. '06 GT
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
which car do you think is faster/better in your opinion. yes the GTO lacks the styling. besides that.

The GTO weighs 100 lbs. more than the mustang.
GTO has 400 hp 400 trq (how much actual to the wheel?)
GT has 300 hp (bullshit 255 to the wheel) 320 trq

GTO can only launch at 1700 rpm's 0-60 5.1 sec.(so I have heard)
GT I personally have launched at 2500 rpm's 0-60 5.6
I always prefer starting off with car that has the most horsepower to begin with.

what do you think? anything to add?

GTO sticker price 33k
GT 28k

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ftermarket selection for GTO is very limited brecause they are discontinued.

I test drove A GTO and they feel like they had no torque. But in a 1/4 mile I think they would win

1/4 MILE TIME FOR GTO :
1/4 Mile ET: 13.024
1/4 Mile MPH: 106.900

[ July 09, 2006, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: 306Coupe ]

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That 5k price difference would definitely make the GT faster with simple mods, not to mention look better.

Why don't you just get a Terminator instead? You can get some for ~25k with much more HP from the get go.

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is a terminator?

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by o6 ford:
what is a terminator?

03-04 cobra
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
what is a terminator?

03/04 Cobra

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

In order to trade my car in it has to be a brand new car.

cuz I am up side down.

so no large down payment. i'm broke.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can buy gto's for invoice price. dealers are begging people to buy them

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
what is a terminator?

awwwwww. it hurts my heart to hear you say that

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ August 11, 2006, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

BLK02GT
¯
Member # 5653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK02GT  Ford pictures for BLK02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much did u get the GTO for?? monthly payment wise?? and did u put anything down? i'm thinkin of goin to check them out tomorrow.

--------------------
2019 Ford Expedition Limited
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Member #4241

Posts: 1247 | From: Tracy, ca | Registered: May 2005  |  :
Migs
¯
Member # 5439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Migs  Ford pictures for Migs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A co worker of mine has an 05 GTO and my opinions is the styling is gay and also it wasn´t worth what he paid. He regrets not buying an 03 cobra [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P SilverLX! You are missed bro.

Posts: 348 | From: Healdsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know the gtos can run hard but I've never been impressed with what I've seen at the track,of course I could say that about the new stangs too. The gto is good for a high 12, low 13 stock. GT mustang is good for a mid to high 13. I wouldn't be surprised if the stang(Rated 4.9 recently) 0-60's better then the gto,but the gto is gonna be the champ once its up and moving. You can't fit wide tires on the gto. I know what I picked,and with a little bit of money in parts I'm sure I could run right with a GTO. The GTO is a nicer Quality car though hands down. Looks not even a comparison,mustang is way better looking.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 306Coupe:
[QB] ftermarket selection for GTO is very limited brecause they are discontinued.

This is all JMHO:

there is nothing much 'discontinued' about the '06 GTO

#1) same 6.0 LS2 found in the C6 (vette)
#2) body/frame is the holden monaro built in Australie retrofitted to US emissions/crash
#3) GM I believe keeps spare parts for (8) years or so for any model sold if Australia were to sink into the ocean tonight

IMHO the GTO (esp. LS2 variants) represents a much better bang-for-the-buck than a base mustang GT.

Sure the mustang is cheaper... but it's not that much cheaper and a cam+bolt-on LS2 GTO is going to be out of reach of the mustang, I'm afraid without forced induction.

That being said either car is great--- I just think from a performance bang:buck perspective that the GTO offers a little more.

Given that the GTO can get up into the low 30k range, consider the C6 Z51. Some places were selling base C6's for $39.9k, the Z51 package doesn't add much more on top of that.

The C6 wipes the floor with either one. [Whoo Whooooo!]

Also I think the base C6 is about as fast as the 500 HP GT-500 [Mad]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

DennisG
¯
Member # 163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DennisG  Ford pictures for DennisG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good comparison, but stock vs. stock I think the GTO is slightly faster. Stang definitely has better looks. GTO looks too bland for my likings. Both have good aftermarket support.

--------------------
Chrysler 2006 300C 6.1 SRT8
Stock with 1400 miles -13.2 @ 108.5

Posts: 387 | From: Manteca, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its a damn saturn with a corvette engine. next time u see one...tell me it dont look like a saturn.
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It does NOT look like a Saturn, IT LOOKS LIKE A FREAKING CAVALIER. YAY, A CAV WITH A BIG MOTOR, YAY [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd take the GT. GM/Chevy can make their motors powerful/big but i'd like something that looks good. I bet most of the people who've bought a GTO just bought it because it is a GTO and don't know any better. If it looked like a modern Goat then i would think its hot. I can't wait for the new Camaro to come out so i can laugh at another GM failure in redesign.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ALOT OF VERY GOOD POINTS...

very good obsevations. GTO looks like a grand am on steriods. wheel hops.

but when I hit the god damn gas pedal it feels good. (gto)

I never drove a terminator. I will look into that.
Or put a blower on my car? No wheel hop here!
I could put a 3,000 dollar down payment on a gto. or put 3k into my gt... which would be a better choice?
rousch blower???

one point was the gto with mods would be maxed at 575 hp.
the gt maxed at 450. that bugs me [Eek!]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
ALOT OF VERY GOOD POINTS...

very good obsevations. GTO looks like a grand am on steriods. wheel hops.

but when I hit the god damn gas pedal it feels good. (gto)

I never drove a terminator. I will look into that.
Or put a blower on my car? No wheel hop here!
I could put a 3,000 dollar down payment on a gto. or put 3k into my gt... which would be a better choice?
rousch blower???

one point was the gto with mods would be maxed at 575 hp.
the gt maxed at 450. that bugs me [Eek!]

3k into the GT, do you want an ugly car that goes fast or a car that looks sik and goes fast?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

lol ..

well I just figured I'd be limited with the 4.6L 3v.

I heard if you put a large supercharger on it the bottom end will blow up.

the LS2 has up to 575 . The GT has up to 450.

Its as simple as that.

I'm a painter I can make any piece of terd look cool.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
lol ..

well I just figured I'd be limited with the 4.6L 3v.

I heard if you put a large supercharger on it the bottom end will blow up.

the LS2 has up to 575 . The GT has up to 450.

Its as simple as that.

I'm a painter I can make any piece of terd look cool.

Get a built shortblock,then you can make as much power as you want. Money is the only limiting factor on making either car faster.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com