Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » BIKE

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: BIKE
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, i might be getting a bike, but before then i obviously need to get my L. Where did some of you guys go and how much did it cost. will i need my own gear, any links, how much did you learn.
also, how much should i expect to pay for insurance? i am 18 and am prolly going to get a ducati 748 or a newer kawi zx6.
i am getting it as a commuter for college, 2 mile drive. in all practicallity, is it worth it.

and if anyone is interested in the cobra in my sig lmk.
thanks for all your help

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
instead of gettin a crotch rocket why dont you just get a 10 speed. with a 2 mile commute itl take 10 min and save you tons of money

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1991CHP  Ford pictures for 1991CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you ever road a 748 or any other twin super bike??

As far as your L's, they have a motorcycle course that you can take, get your L's and a good discount in your ins. Forget what its called, but a search should find it or go to BAYARERIDERSFORUM.COM

--------------------
Asphalt Mafia: Founder.

I felt guilty once, but she woke up half way through it.

http://gotbluemilk.com/web050516/24/index.html

Posts: 815 | From: S.F. / SACRAMENTO | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was actually thinking about getting a 10 speed, but i dont feel like peddling uphill every day, but if i dont like the bike i prolly will. as far as my experience, i drove an older kawasaki cruiser a few times and rode dirtbikes, but as far as sport bikes...nope.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/motorcycle.html

Click on the CMSP link and follow the steps.

The course was really helpful, and after taking that you don't have to take the riding portion at DMV. You don't need gear, they provide you with everything.
If you have never been on a bike before you will learn how to ride.
If you have been on a bike before you will learn how to ride better.
If you already ride, then you will learn how to ride safer and also learn that you are too comfortable for your skill level.
[patriot]

Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra9:
i was actually thinking about getting a 10 speed, but i dont feel like peddling uphill every day, but if i dont like the bike i prolly will. as far as my experience, i drove an older kawasaki cruiser a few times and rode dirtbikes, but as far as sport bikes...nope.

Same thing, just a lot heavier. I have only dropped my bike twice, both times being in the parking lot while I was dismounting. You don't really feel the weight when you are riding, it is just when you slow down or stop (or stop on an uneven surface) that you realize that the shit between your legs is 300 pounds. Also when you drop it and try to lift it up (while embarrassed).

Edit:
I went from a mustang to a ZX6 [Wink] in college, one of the best decisions so far. It is very practical. I pay about $12 every two weeks to fill it up. I pay about $500-600 on insurance per year. I get free parking at the remote parking. The only draw back is the rainy season, but you say you have only a two mile commute so I think you will be able to figure something out.

[ June 14, 2006, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: menlo pony ]

Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
FoRdGiRl
¯
Member # 6279

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoRdGiRl  Ford pictures for FoRdGiRl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CANT HELP U W GETTIN THE BIKE BUT FOREMOST DOES BIKE INS A REALLY GOOD COMPANY HAVENT HEARD NETHING BAD AOBUT THEM EVERYONE IVE KNOWN OR MET W A CLAIM GOT PAID OUT QUICK W NO HASSLE OR BS I PUT MY DADS THROUGH THEM AND CAN GET U A QUOET IF U WANT JSUT GIVE ME UR INFO K GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE [patriot]

--------------------
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by v-town50:
instead of gettin a crotch rocket why dont you just get a 10 speed. with a 2 mile commute itl take 10 min and save you tons of money

Exactly. I my self bicycle commute about 28 miles a day and I save a ton of money on gas. 2 miles is nothing, you will get used to it quickly.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra9:
Well, i might be getting a bike, but before then i obviously need to get my L. Where did some of you guys go and how much did it cost. will i need my own gear, any links, how much did you learn.
also, how much should i expect to pay for insurance? i am 18 and am prolly going to get a ducati 748 or a newer kawi zx6.
i am getting it as a commuter for college, 2 mile drive. in all practicallity, is it worth it.

and if anyone is interested in the cobra in my sig lmk.
thanks for all your help

Ive been riding for like 5 years but just sold my bike. I got tired of it.

Ill be honest with you. You need to take the MSF course, it was 75$ if you were under 21 when I took it. Not sure about the price now. They teach you the basics of riding. After finishing the class it would be a mistake to think your ready for the road. You need to practice on side streets and what not around your neighborhood till your comfortable.

Do not forget about insurance, this is where you are going to get killed since you are 19 and not elibible for the mature drivers discount. If you do not have the money to buy a bike all cash then obviously you will be financing it through a bank. This means that they will want full insurance on it. When I had my 2003 zx6r I tried to get full insurance w/ a clean record and 5 years of riding experience. I got quoted a $8500 a year. Therefore, I went with just liability which only costed $260 a year.

If I were you I wouldnt go only liability with a newer bike. Especially a Ducati. These bikes are very fast and have torque. If you down the bike your looking at fat cash to repair them. Plastics can get pricey. If the frame is cracked or bent your bike will be totaled and your SOL.

Gear is not cheap either. My arai helmet was 600$. Jackets can range from 300-600 $ depending on quality. I wouldnt waste time with a textile, they suck if you crash. Ive seen it first hand. Also gloves such as Joe Rocket Speedmasters are like $150. Hell you dont even have to buy gear, but I wouldnt reccomend it.

Im not trying to tell you not to get a bike. There are so many perks of having one; the freedom, gas mileage, performance, coolness factor, twisties and friends you will make. It will be financially demanding to make the jump but once you do you will be hooked.

BTW, a 2003-04 636 will run anywhere from 5000-6000 depending on price and mods. Check out this web site. WWW.BAYAREARIDERSFORUM.COM and look in the moto section.

[ June 14, 2006, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

thanks a lot for your help. i will take the msf course and see from there [patriot]

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com