Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Which Diesel: 5.9L Cummins or 6.0L Powerstroke?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Which Diesel: 5.9L Cummins or 6.0L Powerstroke?
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats up guys,
Looking to get a diesel, a Ram 3500 or F-350. Anyone have any experiences with either of these? Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks! [patriot]

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
F350 lifted with custom bumpers and a winch [worship]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was never really a fan of the 6.0, like the 7.3 better. But anything is better than a doDgE though....I opted for th 6.8 V-10 350

--------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My screen name says it all.

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
My screen name says it all.

cummins,
could you give me more insight as to why you like the cummins over other diesels? Also, what kind of gas mileage are you getting? I am new to diesels so I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks! [patriot]

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't get the 6.0l ford. It has been a hit and miss diesel since it came out. Thats why ford is already dropping it in a few years for a new set-up with a possible twin turbo option rumored. The Cummins is a bad ass motor and they have pretty much fixed the fuel pump issue that they had in earlier models, and it is now pretty much buillet proff. I have a 7.3L with 205,xxx miles on with not ONE problem ever on it. The last 80k miles I have had a tuner set on max and tow everything from my just my car to 4 pallets of tile coming in at around 8k pounds or so. I once went to the scales with my trailer loaded I was a gross of 21k pounds truck, trailer and load. It just sucks that the cummins is in the dodge, although ford owns Cummins [Frown] .

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

98Snake
¯
Member # 183

quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX':
Don't get the 6.0l ford. It has been a hit and miss diesel since it came out. Thats why ford is already dropping it in a few years for a new set-up with a possible twin turbo option rumored. The Cummins is a bad ass motor and they have pretty much fixed the fuel pump issue that they had in earlier models, and it is now pretty much buillet proff. I have a 7.3L with 205,xxx miles on with not ONE problem ever on it. The last 80k miles I have had a tuner set on max and tow everything from my just my car to 4 pallets of tile coming in at around 8k pounds or so. I once went to the scales with my trailer loaded I was a gross of 21k pounds truck, trailer and load. It just sucks that the cummins is in the dodge, although ford owns Cummins [Frown] .

Thanks thats exactly what I'm looking for. What kind of mileage are you getting both empty and loaded?

I have an 05 SRT-10 Quad Cab and I'm lucky to get 8mpg in the city. I may be able to get 11 on the highway if I use cruise control.

Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98Snake:
quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX':

Thanks thats exactly what I'm looking for. What kind of mileage are you getting both empty and loaded?

I have an 05 SRT-10 Quad Cab and I'm lucky to get 8mpg in the city. I may be able to get 11 on the highway if I use cruise control.

Did you ever have a white Lightning?
I have a 99 PSD crew cab dually, and I get 14 mpg or so on the average (empty). The trick with the powerstroke is keep the rpms under 2000. [patriot]

93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
look at the tsb's. Im a ford lover and would personaly get a powerstroke, but the 6.0 has had so many problems. There is like 70 something tsb's for the powerstroke, 6 or 7 for the duramax and 0 for the cummins. plus dodge is gonna offer the new 6.7 or 6.8 liter cummins in 2007 or 2008 or someshit. If i were to buy one, it would be an 2002 or older f250 with the 7.3

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93venom:
look at the tsb's. Im a ford lover and would personaly get a powerstroke, but the 6.0 has had so many problems. There is like 70 something tsb's for the powerstroke, 6 or 7 for the duramax and 0 for the cummins. plus dodge is gonna offer the new 6.7 or 6.8 liter cummins in 2007 or 2008 or someshit. If i were to buy one, it would be an 2002 or older f250 with the 7.3

You are right with the TSB's The duramaxs biggest problem in its first years was fuel injector issues, new ones don't have that issue at all and are actually great motors backed with a sweet allison tranny. The only thing with the 02 and newer and some 01's 7.3l they have powder metal intenals and are pretty week. You don't want to make any more power then the popular tuners add like the Edge Evolution or something similar unless you like your rods bent. In the 99.5' till about 01.5' they are forged. Thats why I am going to a Ball bearing turbo and built tranny. Forged internals stock is great!

I get unloaded about 18 MPG's and loaded about 15MPGs or so. I have a 2wd Extra cab short bed. So its as about good as your gona get with a PSD and millage. But the Trick is to keep it at about 60 MPH or so. I towed my trailer empty to L.A. @55mph cruise control and got 21/22 MPG. I was pretty happy with that.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 03 2500 4X4 i ave better than 16 mpg,city/highway, better than 20 on long trips. the cummings is by far the best motor, its an inline 6 built for torque, the rods are two to three times beefier than the ford or gm, the weak point on the dodge is the auto tranny. all ive done is change the exhaust, its helped the turbo spool up a little faster, added about 4lbs more boost, probably going to add an edge box by the years end
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship] 7.3L [worship]

-

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
TrueBlue
¯
Member # 1063

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrueBlue  Ford pictures for TrueBlue    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dodge - 5.9L inline 6 cylinder - 610 pounds-feet of torque at 1,600 RPM and 325 horsepower at 2,900 RPM

Ford - 6.0L V8 570TQ at 2,000RPM and 325HP at 3,300.

Ford - Even the big 7.3L has less than both..525 lb-ft @1,600 and 250-hp @2,600.

Get the Dodge!, more Torque at a lower RPM and the same Horespower at a lower RPM than the 6.0L and less problematic, enough said.

[ May 22, 2006, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: TrueBlue ]

--------------------
KB '01 GT
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/davis769/GIFS/samj.gif[/IMG]

Posts: 1527 | From: Around the way | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
id pick the 6.0L powerstroke

i saw on Car & Driver, that the did the 'truck pull' contest...and the Ford pulled the Dodge. id pick te Ford...looks better too [Wink]

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought a 2006 F250 Sport Package, and I love it, looks alot better than a Dodge, the Dodge just looks cheap, but I would say the Cummins motor is better than a 6.0, you really cant modify the 6.0 too much not like the Cummins, but if you are going to leave it stock stick with the FORD, otherwise get the Dodge.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
2NSANE
¯
Member # 2644

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2NSANE  Ford pictures for 2NSANE  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
havent you ever heard the term.

I WOULD RATHER BE CUMMINS
[Eek!] THAN STROKIN [Eek!]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com