Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » will it make it??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: will it make it??
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey everyone....I plan on driving to so cal and I wated to ask you guys if you think the car will make it. It's a 89 notch with a fresh 306 motor in it and has 373's in the rearend.....since the i5 is hella long I'm worried about the rpms being too high while I'm driving and I don't want the car to crap out especially on the i5...let me know if you you guys think it'll make it....thanks!!!

--------------------
1987 Black Notchback (I'm back!)
1989 White Notchback (4cyl-V8 conversion) R.I.P
1990 Blue Notchback (orginal 5.0) Sold
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bring an extra tfi module with you and you'll be good
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0JerM:
Hey everyone....I plan on driving to so cal and I wated to ask you guys if you think the car will make it. It's a 89 notch with a fresh 306 motor in it and has 373's in the rearend.....since the i5 is hella long I'm worried about the rpms being too high while I'm driving and I don't want the car to crap out especially on the i5...let me know if you you guys think it'll make it....thanks!!!

It will surely blow up. Now way a 5.0 Mustang with gears can go that long
Dude, it is a modern car. If you have oil in it, and its got oil pressure, and the car has had regular maintanence, it should make it.

I've driven to LA and back in my coupe with 3.90 gears at least 10 times in the past 4 years. Never a single problem. And that was driving 85-90mph the whole way.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should be ok as long as your car is in good mechanical condition.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it less reliable now with a new motor and lower gears [Confused] Are there any problems with the car?

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Touche.....I'll take your word for it.....I was just worried about running the car at high rpms for such a long time....thanks a lot!!

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Touche.....I'll take your word for it.....I was just worried about running the car at high rpms for such a long time....thanks a lot!!

well just dont have it at redline the whole way. [Wink]
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I would drive my old 94gt up to WA, I would do anywhere between 70-80... 134k stock block, 3.73's... never had a problem [Smile]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Yeah.....being stranded on the 5 is no joke!!!

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

Blue88lx
¯
Member # 5919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue88lx  Ford pictures for Blue88lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I drove mine to Vegas a few times with 3.73's. At 65mph it was taching at 2200rmp, I never went over 65mph and I got 21-22mpg.
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol, I blue an AOD on the I5 in 2001. Right after the Grapevine.

FUN

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I drive mine from ventura county to the peninsula all the time, cruise at 75-80mph and get between 24 and 25mpg, and the car used to be a 4cyl, now has a ton of mods [Wink]

never had a problem, but it all depends on if your shit is running right.

[ May 17, 2006, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

koo....BTW whats a 3200 stall?? Or something that sounds similar.....sorry Im still kind of a noob!!!
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
koo....BTW whats a 3200 stall?? Or something that sounds similar.....sorry Im still kind of a noob!!!

It means that you don't have to worry about shifting while driving the 5 [Razz]
Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here you go, some info on stall converters
Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As long as you don't have any electrical or mechanical problems you should be fine driving it.
I am not sure i would trust my Jeep, i might have to pull the tranny this summer [Frown]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Fast_Bitch
¯
Member # 2316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast_Bitch  Ford pictures for Fast_Bitch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
obviously you feel that the car wont make it other wise you wouldnt of asked . . . . you know. if you feel it wont then dont chance it . . . plus if you try make sure u have triple A [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.GirlsFmx.com

Think you can keep up ?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com