Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Need advice on what I should do here...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need advice on what I should do here...
SmokeyBurnout
¯
Member # 5745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokeyBurnout  Ford pictures for SmokeyBurnout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK, I need some advice from you guys. I took my Lincoln Navigator to my friends shop to have the oil changed and my friend said my head gaskets were both leaking oil and it was running down both sides of the block. So, I took it to Lincoln the next day and now they are pulling the heads to replace the gaskets. I went in the shop to take some of my personal belongings out of the car and asked the mechanic if this was a common problem. He said they see it once in a while but he said, “Usually the valves burn up on these”. That wasn’t what I really wanted to hear! [Eek!]

Here’s where I need help. I have just under 50k on my car and the warranty is up at 50k. If I extend it the warranty will bring it to 100k. The cost to extend it from Lincoln is $2900. What should I do, Sell it, burn it, buy the warranty or don’t buy the warranty and keep my fingers crossed?

Thanks, Adam [patriot]

[ April 07, 2006, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: SmokeyBurnout ]

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What year Navi do you have? [Confused]
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you want out of the car? Do you want to keep it? Or does it really matter if you don't? Some is going to depend on your personal feelings about it. What year is this navi?

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you plan to keep it, I say get the warranty. If you dont, then just get it fixed and sell it. If its fairly new...like 2002+, then BURN IT cuz then I'd consider it a lemon [Big Grin]

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

SmokeyBurnout
¯
Member # 5745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokeyBurnout  Ford pictures for SmokeyBurnout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's an '04 and I love it! It has heated and A/C seats how can I really get rid if it? [Confused] I want to do what's right though. [Frown]

-

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn, that thing is clean [worship] Just put down the extra money for the extended warranty [patriot]

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokeyBurnout:
It's an '04 and I love it! It has heated and A/C seats how can I really get rid if it? [Confused] I want to do what's right though. [Frown]

-

Man, if I could afford 2 big payments, I would be calling you... ROFL. That's NICE! [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, how much was this navi new? Did you buy it new? What year did they change to your body style? And right now you're in probably the worst spot to be in with a car.

[ April 07, 2006, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: cummins ]

--------------------

SmokeyBurnout
¯
Member # 5745

quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
Ok, how much was this navi new? Did you buy it new? What year did they change to your body style? And right now you're in probably the worst spot to be in with a car.

I bought it new. The sticker was 57k. They started making this body style in '03. They are making a new body style in '07. Maybe I'll trade it in for an '07. [Confused] [Big Grin]

I'm researching outside companies that offer extended warranties right now as we speak to see if I should get one of those. I already got one quote that was $1200 cheaper than the dealership.

Does anyone know anything about these companies that offer extended warranties and if they are a ripoff??? [Confused]

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Just got back from SoCal. Anyway, let me break it down to you it may make your decision easier.
I'm going to list the private party good kbb values these will be baseline without all the + and - for options etc. These will be according to your miles and how much you drive per year. It seems like its 25k which is high but I'll make estimates on the rest for about 17k miles per year. I'm also assuming that this is a 4wd.

kbb 2004 50k miles, $26k
kbb 2003 67k miles, $23k
kbb 2002 84k miles, $17k

So as you can see your car takes a big hit every year and with the old body style of 2002 it takes a HUGE hit, which is very typical. With the new body style of 2007 coming out your car is gonna take this hit too. So, that coupled with dumping warranty money into it would certainly be a poor economic decision. This could mean your car will drop at least 3-4k in value plus you dumping the warranty into it. And with the new body that 3-4k loss is probably very conservative. Yes its a nice car but it doesn't hold value for shit.

You also have to remember that your do have high mileage for your year so that will reduce its value.

If this were me I'd sell it to a private party before the new model arrives. Otherwise you're in for a big economic loss. And JFYI, cars take a good hit within the 1st 3 years but after that they take a MONSTER hit. Its also because people do lease returns after their 3 year leases so there are so many floating around. Couple that with new body styles and you have a big loss in your vehicle. So sell it before its too late. By end of summer/fall it going to be too late.

JMO.

I'll address the warranty issues later my friends are here and we have to get some dinner.

--------------------

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice car [patriot] However, I would consider fixing it and selling it if you are having these kind of problems after only 50k
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
DOPE 50
¯
Member # 5892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DOPE 50  Ford pictures for DOPE 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What size are those rims?

--------------------
94 COBRA CLONE CONVERTIBLE
67 SS CHEVY NOVA,CAGED UP,TUBBED,FUEL CELL,ETC..IN THE WORKS.[67SSNOV]
91 INTEGRA ON 17'S
94 Ranger Getting lifted

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

As for those warranties, well, make sure to really read them. Many companies can do them cheaper because they may not use factory oem parts they may use cheap after market junk. And they may have limitations on where you can bring your car and what service. Factory warranties allow you to bring your car to any factory. Many outside companies just allow you to bring your car to their own contracted service companies. There are so many different reasons why they are cheaper. Just make sure to really read them.

As for your Navi, get rid of it!

--------------------

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
while the heads are off why don't u pay extra to have the valves done? probaly cheaper then the xtended warranty

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com