Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Maaco VS Earl Schieb

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Maaco VS Earl Schieb
50yobra
¯
Member # 6587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50yobra  Ford pictures for 50yobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maaco VS Earl Schieb

Which one is a better place to paint your car?
I know they are cheap but I need a good quick paint job. Thanks

89 FAKE SNAKE
¯
Member # 4531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 FAKE SNAKE  Ford pictures for 89 FAKE SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maaco by far..i got mine there and it was nice..let me know..i know them..

--------------------
90 COUPE
01 R1 (stock)
04 XR-50(stroked)
06 TT-R50E
SRA & PWA member

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maaco did my camaro....! [Smile]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

jadesville
¯
Member # 5885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jadesville  Ford pictures for jadesville  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you do the prep work, maaco does some pretty decent jobs for the price.

--------------------
1968 Hardtop Coupe

Posts: 229 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Earl schieb does a decent job at painting, but their paint is junk. Maaco is definitly better, and dont let them charge you more than you want to spend. They quoted me $1650 to do body work and paint. I told them that I did not want to spend more than $1000 on it, and he said "ok I will do it all for $1000" just like that. He did not even think about it. Then when it was done there was a lot of dirt in the paint, and they painted it again for free. Your best bet may be to find someone that does painting on the side.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In Sac on Watt, the old Earl schieb got turned into a MACO. Two in one. I had my tonneau cover painted there and it was fine. My brother got a lot more and he got a little pissed off at them.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does either shop sand and buff the cars after painting them...or do they just spray them and thats it? Also, I heard that they dont mask off the cars very well, so I would strip it down and mask everything myself.

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know when I went to the local MAACO to get the front end painted, the cheaper paint jobs used a single stage paint process VS the 2 stage. Just keep that in mind too! [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89 FAKE SNAKE:
maaco by far..i got mine there and it was nice..let me know..i know them..

[patriot] yeah earl schieb use what looks to be house paint!LOL but i guess anything will stick when u use 280 grit paper to final sand ur car! but then again thats custom ive always wanted some "ghost" scratches on my car!
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is no [BS flag] a while back my friend took his 64 stang to them (earl Schieb) to have a quick coat shot on it for the summertime (they were running 99 dollar specials back then). He knew it wouldnt last long. They painted the car, but didnt even wash it prior to doing so, they actually painted over some bird shit. This was the one in San Jose, if I am not mistaking it is close to downtown if it is still there.
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by n8y8:
This is no [BS flag] a while back my friend took his 64 stang to them (earl Schieb) to have a quick coat shot on it for the summertime (they were running 99 dollar specials back then). He knew it wouldnt last long. They painted the car, but didnt even wash it prior to doing so, they actually painted over some bird shit. This was the one in San Jose, if I am not mistaking it is close to downtown if it is still there.

WTF do you want for $99 bucks...........

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea he kinda knew that going in.....but the car was washed before getting there....It was shat on while in the yard....they painted over that....I definately wouldnt want that for 99 bucks.
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if u want a cheap paint job try this http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133867, there is a link on this page where it shows u how to do it yourself and it will only cost u $50 btw the pics that u see of the white car is done with that $50 paint, i'm going to try this on my 50 just for the fuck on it and if it comes out wrong i wouldn't care since it will only cost me $50

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Both of those places suck! If you want a quality paint job you will have to spend a little more money or look for someone who does side work
89SC50
¯
Member # 6248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SC50  Ford pictures for 89SC50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It deppends on how much you care about your car, you always get what you pay for. I would rather have a car with a faded original paint job than some crap that will peel off in the neer future. I have seen cars ruined by those places, over spray on wheels and everywere else, mask lines. A lot of the quality comes from prep and then polish, you should tear down as much as possible. Maacos embassidor special $199 [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 185 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0 5speed:
Both of those places suck! If you want a quality paint job you will have to spend a little more money or look for someone who does side work

Exactly. Shit vs. Crap IMO.
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
quote:

some people are on a budget and just want a budget paint job. sure, you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can only pay so much. so rather than making useless posts, why not try making a contributive one? or none at all?

I've been told that Maacos are privately owned, so one shop can do super shitty work while the one across town does quality work. so try asking the shops to see cars that they've actually done and are doing

[ March 24, 2006, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: z pyro ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
50yobra
¯
Member # 6587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50yobra  Ford pictures for 50yobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My mustang is faded red right now. I want to paint it all black. So MAACO is better?
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by z pyro:
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
quote:

some people are on a budget and just want a budget paint job. sure, you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can only pay so much. so rather than making useless posts, why not try making a contributive one? or none at all?

I've been told that Maacos are privately owned, so one shop can do super shitty work while the one across town does quality work. so try asking the shops to see cars that they've actually done and are doing

If you want to pay $99-500 for a paint job that will last you ONE whole year, go ahead.

I did contribute to this post by saying they do crappy paint jobs. You really think you are getting a good deal when it they paint over bird shit?

My x-gf got paid $400 to get her car painted at Earl Schieb and they didn't even paint the inner door wells. Nonetheless, the rest of the car flaked off in about a year.

They paint about 5-10 cars per day per booth. If you want to get shafted and front the money to prove me wrong go ahead. Otherwise save up and get a quality one.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

I hooked up with a dude here on the board that is painting my car for a good price and his work is good. I also just met another dude here in stockton that has a shop that will paint my car for cheap on the side. Why am I saying this? Because I think you should look around and ask around. You can find someone doing it on the side and get a A1 paint for less than the big boys but same quality. But maybe not as cheap as Maaco and ES. Dont go cheap unless you are doing it to sell your car for a lil more.
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I painted my daily driver there, only spent a $1100 for them prepping, sanding, fixing a bunch of dings. It also included a 2-stage paint job with Dupont and clear coat. It came out pretty good for what I paid and a 5 year warranty toward chipping and fading. I've seen cars there that spent about $2500 one of them a 68 coupe that came out real good.

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You get what you pay for and I have yet to find super quality work from a side jober.

However for cars that I don't plan on keeping for super long time those side jobers have given me decent work for the price.

I do have my shop to send cars that I plan on keeping for long time.

Price per paint is upwards of 4K for the usual stuff I ask for. [Smile] To this day I have yet to find a better quality paint job.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow i think everyone has lost sight of the topic! he jus asked which is better we all know both places suck and btw if u every get a cheap paint job stay away from black as well as reds oranges and what no the pigment or toner they use is garbage and will fade quickly to be honest its a lot of money for a good paint job i spent 2500 on materials alone! but if i absolutley had to choose between the two maaco is better. jus my .02
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com